What would be your child's English name?

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by sweetnsourpokman1, Dec 31, 2006.

1. My last name is Tang and when I have my first son, I want to give him the name Bao. For his middle name, I'll make it Ching so that his name will be Bao Ching Tang. I'm tired of all these chinese parents giving their kids these American names, I'm bringing back the old school Chinese american names. What would you name your child?

#1 sweetnsourpokman1, Dec 31, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2006
  2. EternallyAddicted

EternallyAddicted New Member

People give the name they want to their children. Some people want they have an american name, others want an european one, or an african one ... I think chinese is a beautiful language, and I wish my children had a chinese name, but as I live in France, I will choose a simple name in order to pronunce it easily. For a boy, I think : Ao, for a girl : Li Mei. Bao is a beautiful name and the translation is beautiful. ;)

3. saikira

saikira Well-Known Member

i would stick to english name, havin ppl call you in chinese names is weird, epecially in usa they call half of ur chinese name, and i hate dat

4. jwslam

jwslam Well-Known Member

Darren or Janette... guaranteed

5. szetor

szetor Well-Known Member

andy.

6. ldodol

ldodol Member

since my last name is chen, i can name my kids bit or kit. so then they can be bit chen, or kit chen. :D :p

j/p

7. moodycaddy

moodycaddy Well-Known Member

if my husbad's last name is lee. i'd name my kid ug

just joking =P

8. hiake

hiake Vardøgr of da E.Twin

depends, though I can't think of any boy's names off the top of my head, girls will either be called Temperance (for classical reason) or eloise (my favourite name, specially with the french pronounciation ^0^)
    Boys, something along the line of viktor or alex.
    My Chinese has already deteriorated to the extend that I can't give my child a decent and meaningful name. It's quite a pity actually.

9. Danny7835

Danny7835 Member

I will give "Martin" for my first child name. If its a gal... i will call her "Maisey"

10. nyckeion

nyckeion ....Boo....

call him jacky and her jacky i always found that funny

11. jameschanny

jameschanny Active Member

Ricky great name indeed

12. compliant

compliant Well-Known Member

named after mr. viva la vida loca? hahaha

13. ZetaStylez

ZetaStylez Member

Hard one, i think it would be deffinitely be a Chinese name, hate it when you give you kid a foreign name..

14. JYJLrock

JYJLrock Well-Known Member

honestly, I wouldn't name my kid bao or li or ching.
    if i cant think of a unique name (like me making it up myself), i would name my kid after my idols, Joey and Justin.

15. neva_1437

neva_1437 Member

I think Max is a pretty solid and sexy name for a guy. As for a girl ~ hmm.. I think Angela is good =]

16. Sunjing

Sunjing Active Member

will definitely give both an english name and a chinese name

boy would be called Johnny, girl would be called Jennifer..no clue what chinese name might be.

17. joceyz

joceyz Member

I think parents give their kids English names primarily because they're easier to much pronounce. Personally, I recently legally changed by Chinese name to an English name, because people (teachers, classmates, etc.) kept butchering my name. Also, from my own experience, those who don't use English names tend to experience even more prejudice. Also, they wouldn't receive as much opportunities. Thus, although I understand your frustration with parents no longer naming their kids in Chinese, I know that it is much easier for everything if these kids are named in English, esp. if they plan to stay in the US. Note: I still have my Chinese in my full name...now it goes, "English name","Chinese name," then "last name." Sorry, I wrote a lot...thanks for your time in reading this.

18. hiake

hiake Vardøgr of da E.Twin

That is true, and Chinese name is a nightmare in filling out applications, they just do not comprehend having 2 words as first names, what happens will then be either 1. both words stuck together (which cannot possibly be pronounced); 2. jointed by a hyphen "-" which look just wrong (resembles married women's last names); or 3. they drop the 2nd word in your first name into the middle initial section, so you kind of lost everything.
    I do agree having English Name, Chinese First name, then Chinese last name is the best solution. Like Eason Yi Xun Chen. Unless of course, you have single first name in chinese.

19. Breakdown

Breakdown Member

20. THF20

THF20 is a Chinese

If is a male - Jay, Kenny or Victor.

If is a female - Vicky, Cindy or Windy.