When is english used in HK

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by smallrinilady, Aug 17, 2007.

1. smallrinilady

smallrinilady Well-Known Member

I've only visited HK once,
    but lots of my friends are from there

And I've heard one of them going to a job interview there with an english resume
    another one took medicine classes at a university and the lectures were in english and so were the textbooks

when is english used in HK?
    in classes is it ever mixed? can i student ask a question in chinese and the teacher answer it in chinese but dumping english terms in everywhere?

2. 無得頂

無得頂 Well-Known Member

I rarely use english in HK also. Occasionally, I would speak english to foreigners during my summer job or with friends whom I know speak english better than chinese.

3. hkm91450

hkm91450 Well-Known Member

Official languages are both Chinese and English; however, most people (locals) will almost always speak Chinese to one another. English is used when speaking to foreigners, at school/University for instruction. Many of the big universities, such as HKUST, teach in English.

English as a language in the work force is becoming increasingly important, with many parents sending their kids for private English tutoring or going aboard to study English; however, Chinese remains equally as important. Most (big) employers (hotel, bank, etc.) will require that you are proficiently fluent in English and Chinese, as those are the major languages used in business in Pacific Asia.

Nonetheless, Cantonese is rapidly being phased out by Mandarin as the language that most employers are looking for with potential employees. As China is set to take over as the next economical superpower, many Hong Kong businesses and companies now require Mandarin and English as language qualifications.

4. smallrinilady

thank you, very informative

5. haun

haun Well-Known Member

I don't think English is the official language now. It was under British government but not anymore. I don't know how many HK people understand English, but I suspect that more than half does not understand or understand it poorly.

6. 無得頂

無得頂 Well-Known Member

HK people are not that bad in english. Their listening and speaking may not be the best, but their comprehension and writing can definitely be compared with people from western countries. That's assuming they've graduated of course.

7. chinesedude421

chinesedude421 Well-Known Member

almost everyone uses cantonese in everyday life, but during my volunteering this summer, i spoke english cuz i volunteered to teach some elementary kids english.

8. THF20

THF20 is a Chinese

You can use english when you talk to a english person or when english foreigner ask for direction on the street.

9. ab289

ab289 Well-Known Member

i have never visited HK but would love to someday. And I don't mean to insult or anything; but does normal people on the street able to give a foreigner directions in English? The reason I asked is because on the Amazing Race show, when they were in HK; seems like no one understands them. Maybe only the younger generations ...

10. THF20

THF20 is a Chinese

Yes, you are not being very nice... I can understand english if they ask me for direction...

In your case, may be they are just can't be bother or feeling too shy about answering...

11. hkm91450

hkm91450 Well-Known Member

Yes, according to Wikipedia, English and Chinese are both the official languages of Hong Kong. It is true that many locals do not communicate in English efficiently, but it is improving, especially now that there is a greater push to learn it and a greater demand for skilled English workers.

Well, I don't know, a lot of people, including many of my friends, believe that the official language is Chinese only.

#11 hkm91450, Aug 19, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2007
  12. dchc

dchc Member

In HK you will find the new generation speaking more and more english. All "modern places have signs in both chinese and english.... but you you go out eating by the street at some noodle shop you wont find english... the can perhaps say "yes" and "no" :p

13. smallrinilady

yea i had an experiance with that
    when i went to HK for the first time and we went out for noodles in the morning
    the table next to us spoke no chinese, but broken english (i think he was irish)
    even thought the menu had english, the waitress spoke no english
    so i had to help them translate that
    a conversations about trying to get some tea to drink

14. ProjectD

ProjectD VIP yay :]

only been to hk when i was 4 so i dont remember

15. tricky7_

tricky7_ Well-Known Member

I've been to HK a couple of times, but my relatives speak cantonese so I don't use that much English, but since I can't read Chinese I use the English signs to know where I am.

16. dim8sum

dim8sum ♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪....

lol i dont think an irish person would be able to speak full english :D maybe his accent was too hard to hear through haha

maybe he was European or sumtin

17. abbaZabba

abbaZabba Well-Known Member

They use it when they pronounce clothing brands