Which part of HK/China are you from?

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by Woruro, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Woruro

Woruro Active Member

Or your parents, or grandparents.

A lot of us have roots in HK, but which parts??

2. Freekje

Freekje New Member

tsuen wan here

3. Yong-Shi

Yong-Shi Well-Known Member

My grandparents' origins are from Guangdong before they moved to HK where my parents were born. My parents lived in Kowloon when they were still there before immigrating to the U.S. as teens. They met and married in CA, where I was then born.

4. kelea

kelea Member

Mine were (still is actually) scattered around HK island i.e. Central, Wanchai, Causeway Bay etc.

5. Natsu

Natsu Well-Known Member

mines scattered everywhere. Tung Chung, Aberdeen to name

6. brown_bear

brown_bear ☆‧° ☆﹒﹒‧ ☆ ﹒﹒‧☆‧° ☆

^ in scotland as well....o_O.....you have scottish heritage as well....:p

7. Natsu

Natsu Well-Known Member

not that Aberdeen! silly :D theres a place called Aberdeen in Hong Kong "Ap Lei Chau" :D

#7 Natsu, Mar 5, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  8. brown_bear

^ ooOoo oops...not heard of that before wor...wheres it near..?

9. Natsu

Natsu Well-Known Member

google maps is your friend :D its on Hong Kong Island, kinda near Repulse Bay

10. brown_bear

^ hey ya edited it....ya other post i thought you put 'ap liu gai' teeem....the 2nd hand street...-lol...

repulse bay...?..sounds so appealing hahahahhaa....

11. Natsu

Natsu Well-Known Member

yeah it didnt sound right, my chinglish sucks :D definitely didnt put "Ap lui gai". i put Ah Mei Jau before.

Repulse Bay - its not the most exciting places in Hong Kong ^^

12. brown_bear

^ are you suree...i remember reading 'ap liu gai' worrr...:p....hmm ive never been there actually...

always seem to go to 'ladies market'....has anybody been to 'ap liu gai'...?...any good..?

well durrr from the name of it 'REPULSE bay' kinda gives off a bad vibe anyways...

13. Natsu

Natsu Well-Known Member

im very sure since i editted it :D and nope, never been there, well not to my knowledge ~

14. bbes

bbes Incredible

isn't aberdeen a rele nice place to live in and bb i'm pretty sure u've been there. if u've been to ocean park then u have as that is in aberdeen.

15. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

Aberdeen is referred to as [FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]香港仔 (ie Little Hong Kong), whereas Ap Lei Chau is the tiny island that sits directly opposite it across a small bridge. If you travel up the road, you'll pass Wong Chuk Hang, and Deep Water Bay before you come across Repulse Bay. The famous Jumbo Floating Restaurant is also located in the waters of Aberdeen.

In google maps, type in the search term LITTLE HONG KONG

Ap Liu Street, in the Sham Shui Po district, used to be a local electronics guru haven for second hand or refurbished equipment, often at great prices. However, like Stanley market, once the tourists found out, it was transformed into a foreigner rip off trap. They'll even comment on how well you speak Cantonese (believe me, you don't) while they laugh at you behind your back, and then rip you off. You can still find bargains, but only if you look, talk, and smell like a local; with an exact and in depth knowledge of the electronic item that you need, which you can then ask about and discuss in flawless Cantonese. Inotherwords, 99.99% of us need not even try. BTW, Ap Liu was also home to cheap street prostitutes, the kind that used to hang out in dark stairwells wearing a short skirt and smoking a cigarette. That seems to be the signal that she's a prostitute looking for business, as local HK women know never to do that for fear of being mistaken as one. Most of the native HK cadre of yesteryear are gone, replaced by a surge of mainland imports who are willing to work just as cheap. -inlove

Hope this info was helpful. :p

As for friends and family living in HK? Too many to count.
    [/SIZE][/FONT]

16. Aoes

Aoes Well-Known Member

<---------------- born in Kowloon :)

17. teruck

teruck New Member

Sheung Shui

18. -steffi-

-steffi- Well-Known Member

Sai Kung..the place beside the sea:)
    and then we have a house on this Island off Sai kung called leurng shurn wan..:D

19. ^ Same same ^^
    I live in Sai Kung too =p

20. Aoes

Aoes Well-Known Member

what's a sai kung? :p