Why Chinese So Easily Impressed???

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by crazy_man206, Dec 16, 2010.

1. crazy_man206

crazy_man206 Well-Known Member

White Girl speaking Cantonese in Toilet - 香港鬼妹喺公廁做啲唔見得光嘅嘢

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbFFN1BLcIE"]YouTube - White Girl speaking Cantonese in Toilet - 香港鬼妹喺公å»åšå•²å””見得光嘅嘢[/ame]

Native Cantonese Speaker - Sharon Balcombe - PART 1

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9-PPFA48AY"]YouTube - Native Cantonese Speaker - Sharon Balcombe - PART 1[/ame]

some comments:

- I am truly amazed at her cantonese accent. She sounds like a native speaker.

- wow, she even speak cantonese to her own children.

- wow we chinese are so fascinated by foreigners that can speak cantonese/chinese lol

really appreciate foreigners learning my mother tongue!!!

asians are so obsessed with white people

- There's millions Chinese who can speak English, how many whites
    Van speak Chinese ????

i didnt bother searching, but even just 1 or 2 comment page and i see so many "WOW". are you kidding me? some of these Chinese act like a hot chick in bikini rub their balls.

For those that are so amazed they act like someone give them a surprise gift:

be honest, do you feel inferior? you feel proud because a great white person speak your mother tongue?

is it because you think Chinese is hard? is it more impressive for english person to learn chinese than chinese person to learn english? how nice that you will think nothing of your parents learning english (maybe even find it funny or embarrassed for their accent) but when you see a white speak Chinese then woooooooahhhhh that is so much talent?

2. peppermint

peppermint Well-Known Member

I saw these videos a long time ago, I did read some of the comments. But from what I remembered was that there was this user that kept on attacking other peoples comments, saying exactly the same things as you said. Are you that person? lol

3. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

This sort of reminds me of the story of Soong May-ling, who wowed the US Congressional houses in 1943 as the first Chinese woman speaking with a flawless southern twanged English to deliver an impassioned plea to them for American support of China against the Japanese. For those that don't know of her, she was also known as Madame Chiang Kai Shek. She regularly translated for her husband (who spoke no English) and was a critical political cog in the Chinese war effort that some say even overshadowed her husband.

But insofar as Chinese speaking white women; that's nothing new. Pearl S. Buck is probably the best known example of westerners that, except for their skin color, was 100% Chinese. Buck's life was essentially the flip side of ABC.

And yes, these vids are really old, but still retain their charm, if you will. Chinese who have never seen it generally are fascinated. But if those Chinese speaking charter schools in the midwest and California have their say, then these vids may eventually seem rather pedestrian and quaintly mundane in a few years.

Another old example:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnJ5KVtqNik&feature=related"]YouTube - Wow! American Boy Speaks Mandarin Chinese in China[/ame]

But this one is the best:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=625N8vVZfvI"]YouTube - If you dont speak English Go Home![/ame]

#3 ralphrepo, Dec 17, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  4. crazy_man206

i dont know who you read, but i am not the only one who thinks these things.

Chinese mentality is changing with China's rise. perception of social interaction and views of other people have been changing very fast, especially in the last decade.

i feel this is one of the things that must change as well.

what must change is the INFERIORITY COMPLEX. that is the only psychological term i could find to explain:

- to view chinese learning english as mundane, maybe even a joking matter. vs being in awe of a foreigner learning chinese
    - to view foreigners as such a sign of international success that you would "rent" them to make your company look better
    - to be so threatened by international prizes that you make up your own ridiculous confucius prize as if it didnt make you look retarded

5. ralphrepo

That's because the PRC, as big as it is in some ways, still remains really very small in others. You're correct in that it's a mentality thing (ie thinking the cup always half empty rather than the other way round), and that's why so many Chinese become so defensive about anything (especially from foreigners) of derogatory nature in commentary towards China. Or (by way of analogy) as Missus Ralph always likes to comment about, '...those tiny Asian women driving those big ass SUVs'; they live to overcompensate.

China is arguably the number one economic and financial power in the world right now. Sure, it's a fragile dance of trade imbalances that keep it so, but nonetheless, the PRC does have the crowing rights to the extraordinary monetary muscle that it can bring to bear on just about anywhere in the world. However, it's leaders are still very much living in the shadow of Mao. If people recall (or 'recoil' if you will; it's understandable), it was Mao who artificially kept the PRC closed and idled while the rest of Asia became the industrial and technological power houses of the latter half of the 21st century. This occurred whilst Chinese witnessed two decades of labor opportunity squandered, and millions of its workers starved. It was only after "the great helmsman" dropped dead, that it was politically possible for the party to consider other methodologies (ie Deng's black vs white cat analogy). Why? Because after the lesson of the Hundred Flowers Campaign, anyone who wanted to politically survive (remember Peng's downfall?) had to be absolutely sure that Mao was no longer a threat; Mao needed to first die before the psychological sword of Damocles could be lifted from the Chinese political psyche. In essence, China had been paralyzed by a fear of it's own making.

But despite a generation having passed, even still to this day enough of that old party apparatus remains that they still prefer to only sing in one political key; that of rally round the flag. Even if it means that our own people meaninglessly die in the process, it doesn't matter as long as we don't show any weakness, especially to foreigners. In so many examples, the party routinely stokes Chinese opinions and breeds this sentiment because it's become a national political reflex. That is why foreigners are still so important in the Chinese psyche, because of this artificial importance that even the government places on all things foreign, including the idea of foreign threats (the Qing lost that battle a hundred years ago, and it should just be laid to rest; the world has already moved on and the Chinese really need to too).

#5 ralphrepo, Dec 17, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  6. peppermint

peppermint Well-Known Member

This inferiority still exists without doubt probably because the history is still embedded in us. But honestly I really dont find the link of inferiority and chinese being impressed about whites speaking chinese.

But anyway inferiority is not only in the chinese culture but also in other asians like korean and japanese. Whenever theres war-like trouble or conflicts with other countries, South Korea relies heavily on the Americans in protecting them. A large majority of Koreans move to America for education.

In Japan they look up in westerners too. Seems to me that all Avex Trax MVs hire whites including children to particpate in their japanese Mvs to make it more high class.

7. crazy_man206

good post ralph

kk, please be distinct between inferiority and inferiority complex. when it comes to psychology things are rarely cut and dry. to be clear, it isnt just the amazement, but also the lack of it for vice versa. typically psych complexes manifest itself in subtle perspectives or actions or viewpoints. however it is reflective of a whole deeper and bigger problem.

many asians study overseas because their high tier education is simply superior (at least their top tier universities).

nvm, yes you are right, MV can be an example. the case of Chinese government. i have never come across such a strong country that never ceases to paint itself like a victim. it is like a huge muscle man always sighing and sadly exclaiming why he gets picked on. its so freakin weird.

i do not dispute that much of asia still has similar problem with Chinese, but (no offense) i do not care about non Chinese here. this is Chinese chat, and my thread is for Chinese issue.

i feel the only way for progress to be made is if Chinese actively discuss the potential shortcomings of this kind of mindset.

8. AC0110

AC0110 Let the Fun Begin

Simple...
    English is an international language and Chinese is not...
    Hence, English is almost mandatory in our society while Chinese is a preference

9. ralphrepo

Being a victim has its uses.

Take a look at what is happening in the Yellow and South China Seas; over the last few years, China has had several "fishermen" incidents with various maritime dispute nations and it has always been an 'innocent Chinese fisherman' caught by the other guy's navy or coast guard. The PRC is doing this to galvanize support at home so that when it does make a military grab for any of the maritime disputed assets, it would seem 'justified' in its action. These types of maskirovka are actually rather lamely transparent to students of political history but to the general public, they seem genuine. An example is the recent Chinese fisherman that was captured, held then released by Japan*; video evidence of the encounter clearly showed the Chinese fishing boat purposely ramming the Japanese coast guard vessel multiple times, with the JDF vessel frantically maneuvering in an attempt to avoid being struck by the Chinese boat. The question is, are these the actions of fishermen? Hardly. These men pretending to be fishermen are likely all hand selected PLA naval military for these special ops political missions. Remember last year when the US intelligence platform was accosted by Chinese (again) fishing boats? Same thing. The PRC needs to keep painting itself as a victim because it is part and parcel of the nature of its aggressive politics. This is similar to its decades long efforts at road building across its borders in an obscure region of a neighbor's land. Then when the neighbor finds out, China innocently claims that it was China's all along, and 'see, we've had a road there for years...' to buttress China's claim. It had done this with Vietnam, Bhutan, Nepal, India, and Russia.

This and other unsavory political ploys based on aggression is why countries in Asia and around the world remains wary of Chinese intent. In many ways, the Chinese people themselves are the greatest patsies because their national sentiments have been groom to be that of a perpetual victim, and all purely for the glory of the party. China being a perpetual victim today, is mainly a party construct.

***Sidebar*** I would not be at all surprised if the Japanese Self Defense Forces planted a tracking bug on that Chinese fishing boat (likely at the behest of the Americans) before returning it to China. It seems that there have been a multitude of incidents; but China, like any other nation, only has a certain number of special ops military vessels. It would be interesting to track where this boat goes routinely.

#9 ralphrepo, Dec 18, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  10. emilee89

emilee89 Member

why are you so impressed?

11. chrisnfc07

chrisnfc07 Well-Known Member

lol i agree when a native person speaks fluent chinese. however everytime i see a chinese person trying to speak english its not entirely fluent as it dosent sound as person as someone speaking proper english

12. ab289

ab289 Well-Known Member

digging up old threads, huh? Trying to make that 100 posts in a month?