Will China stop being the protective big bro of N.Korea?

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by Xib, May 25, 2009.

1. Xib

Xib Well-Known Member

China 'resolutely opposes' DPRK's nuclear test

BEIJING -- The Chinese government is resolutely opposed to the nuclear test by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), Chinese Foreign Ministry said here in a statement Monday.
    According to a report by the official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA), the DPRK announced it successfully conducted one more underground nuclear test on May 25.
    "The DPRK ignored universal opposition of the international community and once more conducted the nuclear test. The Chinese government is resolutely opposed to it," the statement said.
    It has been the firm and consistent stance of the Chinese government to achieve non-nuclearization on the Korean Peninsula and oppose proliferation of nuclear weapons in an effort to maintain the peace and stability in northeast Asia, the statement stressed.
    The statement voiced its strong demands that the DPRK live up to its commitment to non-nuclearization on the Korean Peninsula, stop any activity that may worsen the situation and return to the track of the six-party talks.

Source:

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2009-05/25/content_7940553.htm

That shit is getting dangerous down there. Would N.Korea turn beserk if even China drops its support for them? What can CHina do and will they do it?

2. DarkF0x

DarkF0x Member

I would say not for a while since N.Korea is communist

3. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

LOL... that's kinda like saying that it doesn't matter because they're all Asian. The situation in the DPRK and PRC are completely different. They may call their style of governance 'communism' but in actuality, they're both anything but. The PRC, despite it's heavy handedness, would seem like a French liberal when compared to the DPRK. Even Iran would seem a bastion of democracy in comparison to the DPRK. The problem for China is that it has already 'married up' so to speak. It's engaging the world with trade, money, education, and partnering in many other things around the world. For all intents and purposes it's already moved beyond the old fashion 1950's commie uber alles attitude that kept both it and the DPRK in total isolation. That kind of baloney died with Mao.

Unfortunately, that mantra is still alive and well in the DPRK. So for China, the DPRK is the uncivilized relative that it has to invite to parties, where it then gets drunk and says shit that embarrasses China. Like: "You can't fuck with me because China's got my back! ...Right China?" China winces and fumes quietly, "...damn, but why must I be related to this guy?"

My suspicions are that eventually, the PRC will support a coup in the DPRK, to be replaced with an outward looking Korean politico closer to the Chinese ideology post Mao, and one that pays heed to the PRC by staying out of the nuke club (The PRC don't need the competition). So the next time that Kim takes a train ride into China, the train may just meet with an unfortunate derailment 'accident' while it's going over the bridge of a very deep river.

4. countryboy

countryboy Well-Known Member

china dont have a choice.
    it doesnot matter what form of government is in charge inside china, north korea is and always remain a buffer zone.
    adjacent to north korea is china's industrial heart land. the north koreans know this and have been basically blackmailling china into protecting it.
    also to china, an united korea will be just like vietnam, it will turn against china; china will have to spend large amount of money and manpower to man the korean-china border.

5. ralphrepo

Forgive me, but I believe that your theory, which is 50 years ago, is just that; old. It certainly isn't where the world is today. If the PRC had a choice, it would rather border next to South Korea than North Korea any day of the week. South Korea is a stable economic trade partner that offers not only solid business opportunities but also tourists. If it did border on the south, the border cities would be like Shenzhen in less than a generation. Instead, bordering on the PRC right now is a Korean version of Mexico. The only thing that China gets is refugees, prostitutes, and undocumented immigrants that use it as a transit point to any western embassy in their bid to escape the DPRK.

A united Korea? Do you think the South Koreans really want a united Korea? LOL... Ask the Germans what re-unification did for them and perhaps you'll understand that while Koreans may talk pan Korean solidarity, re-uniting with the north is the last thing on earth they want. China would actually have to spend less money if it bordered on South Korea. It's already been spending a ton of money just trying to keep the north Koreans out. If China had a choice, it would probably prefer to have a reunited Korea run by the south. The worst thing that could happen to China is if the Korean reunited under the north. Imagine Kim Jong Il with nuclear weapons and the economic ability of South Korea? That is China's worst nightmare.

North Korea a buffer zone? LOL... It's a disaster zone and China knows it. Now, even worse, it's going to be a nuclear disaster zone now, and right on China's door step.

6. d15z1sux

d15z1sux Well-Known Member

also the stronger north korea gets this is more of a military threat to china.

imagine north korea and south korea re-uniting it would be like 1950s plus the present day....

it would kinda b like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo7liYi1kA8

LOLOLOLOL

7. countryboy

countryboy Well-Known Member

boy, you people so out of date:
    Liaoning Province is responsible for half of northeastern China's GDP(1/5 of china gdp) and leads the region in exports.
    unlike southern china, they have more fortune 500 firms headquarter there.( Coco Cola, Pepsi....)
    all the heavy industries, including ship-building, bio-pharmaceuticals firms, are there...

Shenzhen is so yesterday, man.

a lot of firms are moving inland, due to high labour costs in the Guandong province.

8. ralphrepo

Years ago, during the Japanese bubble, they started to buy up all the Hawaii real estate because they were flush with money. The joke then was, that they couldn't take over Hawaii with bombs back in 1941 so now they came back with cash and bought it instead. The answer is in your answer, "they have more fortune 500 firms headquarter there.( Coco Cola, Pepsi....)" In other words, the invasion already happened and the capitalists already won. They didn't do it with military troops, but with soldiers in three piece suits. Your other line "...all the heavy industries, including ship-building, bio-pharmaceuticals firms, are there..." ...is exactly the types of money making opportunities that the world is looking to partner with the PRC in. So do you think that South Korea is actually going to attack the PRC? If they do, they'll do it with MBA's stepping off KAL flights from Seoul, and not with grunts and m16s crossing the wire over the border.

Also, I was using Shenzhen by way of analogy; that is, essentially backwater towns being transformed into economic success stories because of their proximity to cross border trade. If the same type of cross border trade was evident between the ROK and the northeastern PRC, then the towns on their border (whatever their names) would benefit greatly and be likely transformed like Shenzhen was. Your statement of "Shenzhen is so yesterday, man." makes it sound like your understanding was, that I was advocating moving businesses to Shenzhen; I did not say or mean that at all.

For my political money, if there are northeast military regional worries for the PRC, it's certainly not from the ROK. The biggest hiccup remains the nuclear armed unpredictable and isolated nation that may undergo a political transition. Oh, and in case we forget, the northeastern industrial heartland of China is exactly within the effective range of a nuclear missile from that loose cannon nation. Hence, IMHO, China's biggest concern right now is the DPRK. Like Xib queried, if China drops its support of the DPRK, will it then go rogue and bite China? That is the biggest question facing the PRC right now, and IMHO, there is that very distinct possibility.

#8 ralphrepo, May 27, 2009
    Last edited: May 27, 2009
  9. artofwar

artofwar Well-Known Member

i agree with countryboy,i think China fears a united korean with potential US military bases at its door

10. ralphrepo

You really have to ask yourself, 'why' are there US bases there to begin with. Do you really think that it's in a Korean's blood to ally their people to the United States?

If the Korean peninsula was united under the southern US friendly government, and the northern DPRK politically ceased to exist, how long do you seriously think the Korean people would tolerate having a continued US military presence on their soil?

The ONLY reason why the US military is tolerated in the ROK is because the US troops there act as an insurance policy against invasion by the north. If the DPRK were to attack, and it would be militarily expected that the 28,000 US troops there would probably all be killed in less than two weeks; does anyone seriously think that the American people would let the DPRK get away with killing 28,000 US soldiers? Any US politician would not survive unless they advocated taking revenge for those US soldiers. THAT, essentially is South Korea's insurance policy. If there were no US troops there and the DPRK attacked, would the American people even want to get involved? Hell no. Both Seoul AND Washington knows this, and have known this for the last 50 years. Better still, Pyongyang knows this as well.

So, if Koreans reunited; would there be any continued reason for the south Koreans to even need this political tripwire? The answer is a solid no. US troops then, would no longer be welcomed in Korea. At least not nearly in the numbers that they are now. Thus, A united Korean US military threatening the PRC? LOL... Not a snowball's chance in hell. The biggest danger to the PRC and the entire region in general right now is the DPRK.

11. -steffi-

-steffi- Well-Known Member

this has nothing to do with this topic but..WAHHH...Xib's dp is sooooo scary ><''

12. magicguitar

magicguitar Well-Known Member

Yeah, and also less not forget the impact on Chinas' economy if millions of NK refugees storm into the mainland. I doubt China would want to manage that and wouldn't be fun at all. Keeping the region stablized is too important for China. I think the Americans are stupid if they think china will help NK in their interest. I just can't figure out how they were convenced otherwise.

Another thing, the North Koreans aren't going to use it on the US. They might use it on Japan. But they're not going to use it on the US unless they say something stupid like "if you nuke Japan, you need to nuke us too!"

13. ralphrepo

Er... I'm not sure if you're aware of it or not, but the US had already stated that if North Korea attacks either South Korea OR Japan OR Taiwan, that the US considers it an attack on the US. That is the reason why the DPRK hasn't yet tried to attack the south, AND probably why the PRC hasn't yet attempted to move in on Taiwan. So, as far as the politics is concerned, "if you nuke Japan (or ROK, ROC), you WILL get nuked by the US!" is the established policy.

As for north Korean refugees in China, there's already over a quarter million.

As for stabilizing the region, what is the most unstable thing about it right now? IMHO its been the DPRK all along. You're correct in that it is in China's best interest to avoid destabilizing the region, and it would be doing it because of it's own needs, not that of either the US or DPRK. Or lets put it this way, the US has always been a Chinese political adversary, but somehow, we found a way to live together through trade and negotiations; while on the other hand, the DPRK has always been a Chinese political ally, but somehow, has found a way to antagonize and jeapordize stability and security for China.

Whatever you may feel about the US, its too engaged with China to really do something stupid and get into a military confrontation (like invasion of the Chinese industrial center as the OP suggested). The DPRK, which is wholly dependent on China, is rather like the man backed into a corner. It would be prone to lash out at anything and anyone, even the hand that feeds it.

14. magicguitar

The refugees is in China is already of concern for China, millions more is what China don't want. For this reason and others China will not do anything.

As long as the US and NK normalize their relationships and talk to each other directly in bilateral fashion, everything solve tomorrow. Kim acts the way he is acting right now because the US is playing politics and refuses to meet up NK authority in a bilatreal setting. It's very easy for America to do the right thing. But the US is still refusing it. Of course, the US is going after something else. Is America trustworthy? I think NOT.

15. ralphrepo

China will not do anything? America being not trustworthy? You're looking the wrong way.

The big question is, how much missile flight time is required from the DPRK to Beijing? If any country, politically friendly or not, can wipe out my capital and entire national leadership with less than 10 minutes warning, I would start to pay some serious attention.

16. magicguitar

Unless the US leaves SK first and promise not to return, China will not do much.

17. devimon

devimon Banned

China should just wipe out north korea for being a dick head and let south korea take over.

ps. this is what I think of north korea:rl:

18. KaY_xD

KaY_xD 但願人長久,千里共嬋娟

(*strong word battling here*)

I think it'll never end.................................it has been a long time...........

19. wysandman

wysandman Well-Known Member

Yeah China is not going to do anything. In fact nothing is going happen in this situation. I think North Korea is bluffing because they have been doing these underground tests for a while and if they wanted to do something they already would have, what stopping them? The States? I don't think north Korea is afraid of the states at all.

US had already stated that if North Korea attacks either South Korea OR Japan OR Taiwan that the US considers it an attack on the US. Shouldn't they go in right now and stop them? They did it to Iraq and killed their leader without finding nukes (I know It was under a different leadership). Seriously, the States are fucking retarded they know NK has nukes and won't do anything until one of the above country is attacked, where's the logic in that?

20. ralphrepo

The BBC had this to say about it yestereday:

In a rush? For a quick synopsis, just read the red highlighted lines.