YG Entertainment Forbids Plastic Surgery

Discussion in 'Korean Entertainment' started by person, Nov 23, 2011.

1. person

person Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

During a recent interview with reporters of Osen, A representative of YG Entertainment announced the exclusive contract with the company's upcoming 7-member girlband was finally signed and revealed the contract included a clause forbidding the girlband's members to undergo plastic surgery.

He stated, "The group is composed of members who have not undergone any form of plastic surgery. [...] We wanted to create a group where the focus is on natural beauty. While plastic surgery does have its advantages, it takes away one's natural charms though, which is a pity."

Beside that, he displayed much confidence in the new girl group's talent and looks. Then he explained, "The idea to create such a girlband was born out of a curiosity regarding how certain singers from other agencies would have developed had they been under YG Entertainment. YG values talent a lot but this time we paid attention to looks as well. This is absent in the music market right now."

The new girl group will debut early next year, and, as revealed earlier, one of the 7 members will be Superstar K2-participant, Kim Eun Bi.

Source

Talk about irony. Bom from 2ne1 so obviously got plastic surgery. Kind of a slap in the face for her.

I predict SNSD equivalent, but with more talent?

"The idea to create such a girlband was born out of a curiosity regarding how certain singers from other agencies would have developed had they been under YG Entertainment. YG values talent a lot but this time we paid attention to looks as well. This is absent in the music market right now."

So basically every other group up till this point are ugly? Or only have looks an no talent? This is a lot of talk coming from YG. A definite jab to all the other entertainment companies. Regarding how 'certain singers from other agencies would have developed if under YG' so... definitely SNSD knock off. But 'with more talent and looks'. Interesting.

2. kevin

kevin RAWR!

Google 2NE1 without makeup, it's rather [enter suitable word]. -sigh- Done this few months ago and kind of regret it :facepalm:
    KO from SNSD indeed. Lets see what they got!

3. EvilTofu

EvilTofu 吃|✿|0(。◕‿◕。)0|✿|吃

Big talk now but we'll see once they debut...

4. person

person Well-Known Member

2ne1 not all the members are known for their looks. Or the group isn't known for their physical appearance. They're known for their stage presence, etc. Where as this new 7 member group, they were chosen based on their looks and talent. But I guess their main focus is looks. And from the description, they're going to look really similar to some idols already out there.

What YG is saying is pretty pretentious. We'll have to see how they are come debut next year.

5. turbobenx

turbobenx .........

Is Park Bom really plastic? I heard differently....

6. Jeff

Jeff 神之馬壯

Lets see how they'll turn out. Obv soshi has the headstart already with their fanbase

7. kevin

kevin RAWR!

You hinting something there :trollface: (the hint is: you gonna ditch snsd for them)

8. The_Jelly

The_Jelly NSFW? :P

That debut better be good, or they'll have to eat their own words lol.

9. Jeff

Jeff 神之馬壯

Obv not! Already ditched SNSD once! Wont do it again!!

10. ^You DITCHED SNSD? @_@

Anyways, i really dont find the big deal of PS. I have a few korean friends that went through huge transformations after a summer. Meh, no problem with it XD

11. Jeff

Jeff 神之馬壯

First time i heard bout soshi.. was when Gee Korean was the hottest song in like.. 2009? I found that song kinda annoying and i actually didn't even like the group.

Didn't even know they debuted in Japan with Genie until Gee Japanese version came out. Still wasn't a fan of them by then. Only started when RDR was about to have a Japanese version and Fah showed me Visual Dreams. Then i started to like them as a group. Loved their Mr Taxi single and loved their Japanese single.

Started to listen to their old Korean songs like Oh, Complete, Forever, Mistake, ITNW, Baby Baby, Kissing You. Love those songs.

Not only that, when i say i disliked Gee, i gotta say its like one of the best songs right now! Bought my first Korean CD purchases with 'The Boys' & 'RDR Repackage'

I'm a Jpop fan, & i gotta say if Soshi never debuted in Japan, i woulda stayed that way. Soshi brought me to Running Man which is one of the best variety shows I've watched. Jae Suk is a good MC, Gary is hilarious, Kim Jong Kook's voice does not match his body but his songs are good.

So you could say i kinda "ditched" snsd, but came back to them! Gotta thank them too for bringing me to the Korean side of entertainment (though i will not ditch the jpop side either).

Long story -whistle but w/e, proves my point that Soshi is one of the best groups out there. Regret that I disliked them before but now, I'm def a sone!

12. kdotc

kdotc 안녕하세요빅뱅K-Dragon입니다

[​IMG]
    To you people who are saying YG is basing their selection on looks...shes a member of the new 7 girl group. Non of the top 3 entertainment agencies have failed groups so this group will debut well and so are the SM new groups. Daesung was never known for his looks for style and was chosen because of talent. YG is not focusing on looks but NATURALS looks

13. She looks kinda like Amy

14. Hartia

Hartia Well-Known Member

Plastic surgery.......i dont this its worth it in the long run.

After reading about Hyolee, and even Angelababy's before look. It's like yeah they look great now, but your kids aint gonna look like that.

15. person

person Well-Known Member

Well when a person goes for plastic surgery, they're going purely for themselves. I'm pretty sure they don't care about how their children will look. Plastic is in many ways selfish. They hate how they look so much, and they try so hard to look different. Basically saying your genes are terrible, and your parents are ugly too.

16. We all know there are ugly lookin people out there as you don't lie about it i have no problem. We can say makeup is a form of plastic surgery -tongue2

so in the future and currently if we are possible to do genetic enhancements like prevent a child from getting cancer or implant superior genes before they are born i would take that anyday.

17. person

person Well-Known Member

Ok, so this group which is based on 'natural beauty' can mean either two things, 1) all the girls are naturally pretty or 2) only focusing on talent, rather than looks. And judging from the girl above, could be the latter.

That being said, if they are all not 'physically appealing' will the group be successful without any 'eye candy'? Unless YG is implying they're all 'naturally beautiful'?

Let's face it, Kpop bases their groups more on their looks than talent. mink a solo artist, never had any photos of her released to the public until much later into her career. And when her photo was about to be released, her management stated, that they chose mink more for her talent than her looks. So they basically said she was pretty ugly, but had an amazing voice.
    They were so worried about how the media would perceive her looks, they would rather not release any photos of her instead.

And lets face it, SNSD is mostly known because of their looks. They don't have any knock out singers, Taeyeon would not be considered one of the best in the idol world. Not every one of them are great dancers, but what they are known for, are their looks.

Implementing a 'No plastic surgery' contract is a great marketing strategy. Create a buzz about the group have people start discussions, which they have succeeded to doing.
    It's all talk, but again, we'll have to see how YG plays this come the groups debut next year.

18. kdotc

kdotc 안녕하세요빅뱅K-Dragon입니다

SNSD is known to have pretty/beautiful members but if you look at their Debut video (into the new world) then you would know looks is not the reason why all of them were scouted. They have to have some dancing and singing potentials. The only 2 female idols that are known more for looks and not vocals are Hara and Sohee but a lot of mainstream idols nowadays can sing and they look good because of makeup but they have talent. Another example is KwangHee from ZEA, he did a lot of plastic surgery and acts like he can't sing in shows but in reality he can sing. They are singers and in order to be in a group, members of idol groups can sing and going through all that training, its hard. And also dancing and singing is not easy, the dance moves some groups have is hard. You can try singing and doing the dance moves they do, and you would know doing it live is not easy. You can also find a lot of idol members on radio shows displaying their vocal talents meaning they can sing.

Tae Yeon is one of the best singers in korean idol groups and you can tell by her live performance and vocals. she is also voted #1 as OST queen and singing OST in popular drama would mean you need to have good vocals and all her songs succeeded.

We do not know YG's true intentions and his reasons for this group so we should not judge at all until we see how well or poor they debut. Most idols are not the same with bare fare, well that goes for all celebrities as we can see in the HK entertainment industry as well. You guys need to stop assuming people have gone through plastic surgery because they are pretty or beautiful, make up does wonders and it makes you people think they had plastic surgery when they did not. Some people also takes care of their skin which makes them look better than before. There are a lot of skin treatments and skin care products in Korea as well as dermatologists.

19. person

person Well-Known Member

Kdot, you're misinterpreting what a lot of us are saying.

I'm not implying being an idol is easy and it's all just about being pretty. I've been a Kpop, Jpop fan, I read about what they go through. I'm saying that some group can get by, by being mediocre.

Even if SNSD had the potential, they've definitely gone for the easy way to stardom, which is promotion of looks and sticking to what they are most famous for, without really allowing their singers to progress as performers. Why do you think JYJ broke away from SM? They were restricted as idols and they wanted more.

And you can't deny that most idol groups now a days are being promoted more for their looks. The music is generic and nothing overly ground breaking. Hyuna can't really rap. Can't really sing. But she has sex appeal and the looks and her company utilizes that.

I'm not talking about the power of make up. Or assuming every idol has undergone surgery. I'm analyzing the talent vs looks departments of the groups.

20. i'll duke you out on the chat for a quicker debate about this :yes: