Zinedine Zidane quits Real Madrid: Watch the moment Frenchman announces exit

Discussion in 'Sports Chat' started by charlestsy, May 31, 2018.

1. 372911.jpg

Zidane’s shock announcement comes just days after the Frenchman led Real Madrid to their third successive Champions League title after beating Liverpool 3-1 in Kiev. However, after calling an emergancy press conference today, Zidane confirmed he is stepping down from the helm at Los Blancos.

“I’ve taken the decision to not continue next year as Real Madrid coach,” he said. “This is the right moment for everyone, it might seem a bit strange, but it had to be done for the good of everyone, the players, the club, and myself. “This team must keep winning, and it needs a change after three years, another voice, another method of working. “The decision maybe does not make sense to many people, but it does to me. “This is the moment to make a change, also for the players, after three years it is the right decision.”

Zidane took over a divided dressing room after the sacking of Rafael Benitez in January, 2016 and immediately set about uniting the squad. He claimed the first of his hat-trick of European triumphs two years ago when Real defeated local rivals Atletico Madrid on penalties in the final.

A year later he led Real to their first European Cup and La Liga double in 59 years. Real finished three points ahead of Barcelona as they won their first league title since 2012 before crushing Juventus 4-1 in the Champions League final to become the first side to win the competition in its current format in back-to-back seasons.

Zidane won nine major honours as Real coach and the 45-year-old's crowning glory came last Saturday as he joined an elite group of managers including Bob Paisley and Carlo Ancelotti by lifting the European Cup for the third time as coach.

source: express.co.uk

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  2. i still remember his world cup headbutt lol

on that note who ready for world cup this year its next week!! Phoenix :barca smiley:

3. Jeff

Jeff 神之馬壯

I think even casuals won't forget that lol That was insane

• Agree Agree x 1