Ahh idiots on Facebook can't solve 6/2(2+1)

Discussion in 'The Rant Section' started by MrCooperS, Apr 29, 2011.

1. [N]

[N] RATED [ ]

^wtf how dare you canadians are scum bags :trollface:

2. Flames

Flames Out of Date User

How bout if we to compare this thread with the other thread? :trollface:

3. They're both Canadians

4. mr_evolution

mr_evolution ( • )( •ԅ(ˆ⌣ˆԅ)

Numbers overload

5. MrCooperS

MrCooperS Well-Known Member

I get what you did here, but it shouldn't be interpreted that way. Because 2/1(3+4) is NOT THE SAME as 2/(1(3+4)).

6/2(1+2)=9
    6/(2(2+1))=1

http://www.mathgoodies.com/lessons/vol7/order_operations.html
    Anyone who gets 1 and argues it's the correct answer is an idiot. And this happened to be my friends on FaceBook who answered 1.
    If you don't like the term idiot, I can also use - stupid, dumb, moron, halfwit, dummy, dimwit...etc

It's too late at night for me to read the rest of your stuff. But I'll leave it at here for now

#25 MrCooperS, Apr 30, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  6. [N]

[N] RATED [ ]

dude you just don't get it its starting to be clear who the real idiot is here and its not me. thanks for using a site with puzzles and games as your credible source that really made you smarter than everybody else :facepalm:

I gotta say this again doing it on a calculator this problem is probably not open to interpretation but by hand you can look at it another way. I like your persistency though if calling other idiots and morons for having a different opinions about a pretty vague (i never said your an idiot for saying 9 and i didn't say its incorrect) question floats your boats and gets you excited then i'm happy for your excitement.

7. MrCooperS

Even if you do it by hand on paper, it's the same thing. I'm using a site with puzzles and games as source because this really is 3rd grade math and it's surprising how anyone can even interpret it any other way because clearly

6/2(1+2)=9
    6/(2(2+1))=1

is two completely different math problems. I'm calling them out and saying they're idiots because it's frustrating how my friends on Facebook can't even comprehend grade school math. On top of that, it's the same kids who went to the same high school and some of the same classes I did. They are literally arguing that the answer is 1 with no proof simply by saying PEMDAS tells them to do multiplication first. If that's not idiotic, I don't know what it. If you got offended, that's on you.

If you write this out on paper:

6/2(1+2) = 6 ÷ 2 x ( 1 + 2 )

6/(2(1+2)) =

2 ( 1 + 2 )

Each problem equates to a different answer. The first is 9 and the second is 1.

The ridiculous part of this is that people interpret it as the second problem, when it shouldn't be. And people don't understand the Order of Operations. And both, as a matter of fact, are grade school level comprehension knowledge.

I can quote a couple more sites if it's too kiddy for you:

http://www.purplemath.com/modules/orderops.htm
    http://www.math.com/school/subject2/lessons/S2U1L2GL.html
    http://www.algebrahelp.com/lessons/simplifying/oops/
    Again, how anyone interprets it different is completely beyond me and in my opinion, it's stupid how this is incomprehensible.

#27 MrCooperS, Apr 30, 2011
  8. [N]

[N] RATED [ ]

again i wasn't saying that you were wrong cause you are right but calling others idiots for interpreting wrong makes you seem like an over the top douchebag. I'm just pointing out the ways that it can be wrongly interpreted and instead of jumping to conclusions and calling everyone who got it wrong an idiot. Rather you should point out to them how they might have interpreted it wrong and show them the right way to do it. And no actually i'm not offended as I don't fit your definition of an idiot (getting 1 for the answer), i'm just a better person in my opinion (because i don't call others idiots for getting a math problem wrong) if your offended thats on you.

9. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

My observation is, someone seems to be tenaciously pounding an extremely long nail...

Or as Grandma Ralph is fond of saying, "Smile, back up, and slowly walk away..."

10. MrCooperS

LOL grandma ralph

11. MrCooperS

Maybe it's my fault for not making it clear in my thread topic or post. But the people I'm calling stupid are my Facebook friends who argue 1 is the correct answer with no proof and no reasoning. After explaining it to them, they still don't understand. Which is why I posted here since I was frustrated and this is the Rant section.

12. You all are idiots! <--- see how loosely the word "idiot" is used? it doesn't mean you all are completely mentally challenge and need special education... it just means I hate the way you are being so stubborn.

In this case.... even when the people have been presented with the proof they still argue otherwise... their stubbornness becomes "idiotic"...

Math is universal... written on paper or typed into a calculator the answer should still be Nine... the order of operations write division and multiplication next to each other so we can come up with the mnemonics that help us remember which operations take precedence... BUT addition and subtraction have the same priority over one another as does multiplication and division. Therefore the order of operations should be DONE left to right....

if the equation was written 6/(2(2+1)), the parentheses has made this a completely different equation. However, the equation is written without them and the "order of operations" along with the rules that bind them should apply. Again, the rules binding math are universal, and the mnemonic for the order of operations is simply just a mnemonic, a guideline if you will, the rules should not change whether you are from Alaska to the tip of South Africa.

Stubbornness, lolz.

13. Lol we're not debating about the correctness of the equation. We can all agree that the correct solution to the equation is, and should be, 9.

What we're debating, is OP's misuse of the word "idiot". What we're saying is if someone is simply misunderstanding BEDMAS/PEMDAS, then it is simply a misunderstanding, and can be corrected.

Now should they refuse the correction, i.e. being stubborn as Akki mentioned above, then yes they are being idiots, not unlike some people in this thread.

#33 Dan, Apr 30, 2011
  14. Bulla

Bulla Well-Known Member

we're all idiots!!!!

15. [N]

[N] RATED [ ]

pretty much.

and also its not like all major fields are required to know order of operations for their field of work they might have just forgot (i mean like you said its been since 3rd grade) doesnt mean their idiots, but like you said ur facebook friends and i dont know them anyways they might be all idiots :trollface:

by the way akki your an idiot as well and i be seriouzness on dat u bet :heherm:

16. MrCooperS

+1

Again, apologies for not making myself clear.

17. Bulla

Bulla Well-Known Member

18. Anyways, the entire world is now stuck over trying to figure out this equation.

When or IF the world ever gets to P=NP, good luck. If you don't know what it is, wiki it.

19. brown_bear

brown_bear ☆‧° ☆﹒﹒‧ ☆ ﹒﹒‧☆‧° ☆

just to kill the argument a ickle....but the answer i got was 7 -doh

6/2 = 3
    3x2=6
    6+1=7