Ahh idiots on Facebook can't solve 6/2(2+1)

Discussion in 'The Rant Section' started by MrCooperS, Apr 29, 2011.

1. brown_bear

brown_bear ☆‧° ☆﹒﹒‧ ☆ ﹒﹒‧☆‧° ☆

^ waiittt so its..

2+1=3
    6/2=3
    3x3=9

awesomeee...!!!..bb -smart.....w00t w00t

but how do ya get 1..??...

2. If you do Multiplication before Division..

3. Bulla

Bulla Well-Known Member

BODMAS Uk'ers

4. bbgirlsum

bbgirlsum Well-Known Member

well following BODMAS you,

6/2(1+3)
    =6/2(3) = 6/2x3 (brackets first)
    =3x3 (division next)
    = 9 (VOILA! answer...)

5. stop hating ;) on my superiorz skillz with ze logical mind yar.

6. turbobenx

turbobenx .........

look, shut the 'fcuk' up, the answer is 1.

End.........

7. :facepalm: I hope that was just trolling......

8. shadowchi

shadowchi ~~♫ ♫ ♪ Himitsu ♪ ♫ ♫ ~~

6/(2(1+2)) = 1
    6/2(1+2) = 9

whatever, not like I will be using this complicated math anyways.

9. turbobenx

turbobenx .........

lol................i wouldnt call it trolling; it's too negative.

10. Aoes

Aoes Well-Known Member

for the record... depending on which calculator u use... and which online algebra program u use... in reality, you could get 1 or 9...

the equation in and of itself is written poorly... either answer works...

11. Well, I think basic calculators would return 1 as the answer because you are inputing the equation in the order of the equation, and it processes each sub-equations separately... The answer from the culmination of these sub calculations would be 1... But in a scientific calculator, you have the option of inputting the entire equation, and it would process the entire equation in one iteration...

Perhaps the same could be said by the algebra program... Which thus imply that the algebra program was poorly designed....

12. kontradictions

kontradictions Well-Known Member

I see where the problem is. The parenthesis around the 3 means multiply. So line 2 translates to 6/2*3. According to the order of operations. For multiplication and division problems, you go from left to right. You do 6/2 first then multiply by 3 afterwards. Only operations inside the parenthesis take precedence over multiplication, division, addition, and subtraction. Since there aren't any operations inside the parenthesis, you follow the multiplication and division rule and go from left to right.

That being said, you really can't call someone an idiot for getting something like this wrong. This is almost a trick question.

I have to poop.

13. bbgirlsum

I just got my BF to do this equation. He never finished school and so he doesn't have any high school education qualifications so he recently done a maths course so I thought he should get tested.
    Funnily enough without working it out with the 2 Facebook answers in front of him he said 9 because he said "It looks right", luckily I forced him actually work it out and what I realised is that he understood to do the brackets first but he didn't know what 2(3) meant. He thought it could go either way of multiplying or dividing.
    Had to explain to him then he understood it and then had to go through the pain of explaining of how some people got 1...

It seems like it's whether people remembers their simple mathematical theories or not

14. turbobenx

turbobenx .........

people have to realize that when u add up the (2+1), the answer is (3), not 3. How in the world does the () disappear when u add up the #s inside of it? The answer IS 1....this isnt a trick question.

15. ^ wait you seriously do think the answer is 1?

16. bbgirlsum

if there is no sign in between a number and the bracket, it is automatically a mutiply, so no the bracket doesn't suddenly disappear without a logical reason

17. @ Turbo: x(y) = xy = x*y

18. Turbobenx, just because multiplication is written as x(y) does not mean that it's considered a bracket equation... A bracket equation is the calculation of anything inside a bracket. So in this case, it's treated like a regular multiplication equation, so you would then do the original equation from left to right; divide first, then multiply, hence 9.

19. Aoes

Aoes Well-Known Member

nope, some scientific calcs end up getting 1 if you plug in the equation exactly as it has been shown everywhere... Same with the different algebra help websites...

20. MrCooperS

MrCooperS Well-Known Member