Are you proud of being Chinese?

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by hkm91450, Aug 2, 2006.

?

Are you proud of being Chinese?

1. Yes

505 vote(s)
    89.5%
  2. No

17 vote(s)
    3.0%
  3. I don't care

42 vote(s)
    7.4%
  1. SUSIE-DANG-1988

SUSIE-DANG-1988 ~ TVB ADDICT ~

LOL! yeh.. well said!!
    being chinese is soo coool!!

2. lalala ♥

lalala ♥ Member

soo proudd of being chinese =P
    would NEVER trade it for anything else. gawd those chinese people that want to be japanese or koreans....and think they're better ... well msot of them just watch ... many many korean dramas or japanese anime...since korean culture has been dominating the chinese for quite some while now... and altoa chinese people here wanna be white or something because most of them get called fobs, and get picked on. it's so sad... racism mann....

3. ML320X5

ML320X5 Member

of course. a lot of history

4. ML320X5

ML320X5 Member

of course. a lot of history

5. RFD

RFD Member

Yes,i am proud being chinese.

6. iamadog

iamadog Member

I am very proud of being a chinese. who would not be proud of their own race right..

7. yosupman

yosupman Member

i don't care but i feel ashamed when those chinese speak so damn loud in the crowd where everyone else is so quiet and speaks english

8. haobuhao

haobuhao Well-Known Member

I am proud to be now everything is made in China an we are the dominate economic power

9. tazo

tazo Member

Yes! Of course i'm proud of being Chinese!!

10. honey'ko

honey'ko Member

hhaha, i am always proud to be a chineseee..

Chinese rulezzzz... lol
    xD

11. razorw

razorw Well-Known Member

Of course, its part of who I am.

12. xiaojia

xiaojia Well-Known Member

Hi, I'm proud to be a Chinese. but i do not agree that there should be any reason to this sense of pride nor any need for comparison with other races. The fact that I am Chinese is reason enough to be proud of. Likewise, I believe everyone should be proud of who they are because each race is unique, which is why they are characterised under a different name in the first place.

With regards to the points made by the quoted author, I will like to mention that Chinese do not only reside in China, and observations based upon a limited exposure does not necessary apply to all other places. For instance, it was mentioned that 'Chinese are not politically active'. If so, how do you explain the political scene in Taiwan?

Everyone have their own set of values and priorities. These values are influenced by family, friends and the social environment we are exposed to. The political interest of an individual is influenced not by the race but by the place we are born into. Likewise, an individual in a place which is politically active will likely become interested in politics regardless of their race.

As for the common perceptions that Chinese are:
    'the most successful (study the hardest, and earn the most money)'
    & 'let greed compromise our morals & ethics: Chinese would do anything to get rich'
    are, I believe, essentially linked.

Chinese familes, generally, 愛面子. Social status have always been important to us. We are highly concern with how we are perceived by others. (This is not based on just personal observation but derived from proverbs such as 家丑不可外扬) As a result, most Chinese value success. We want to be successful in every area and one of the most obvious areas seen by others is carreer. We often use one's salary to judge one's worth. We like to be seen driving big cars and live in big houses. That is why 'we study the hardest', strive for the best results in school and to 'earn the most money'. This however does not dictate our moral values. Neither do we compromise our morals & ethics. If you observe people doing that, it is likely they do not have them in the first place.

Having said that, I will like to clarify that every family pass on different values to their kids. Children whose parents do not value financial success will likely develop other priorities in their lives. Also, as we grow older and develop our own perceptions and views, we are able to change our values and priorities for worse or better.

Hence, I will like to conclude that as Chinese, we should not blame our race for the behavior exhibited by others but focus on what we do instead. Also, being Chinese or being proud of it is, in my opinion, not enough. We should try to understand our own culture and traditions. A Chinese we does not make an attempt to learn Chinese for example, is no different from a non-chinese. Language is an important source of learning the culture of any race. The proverbs or sayings encompass the many values that each race believe in.

Just my 2 cents worth :D. And hopefully I did not offend the author of the quoted post nor anyone who agrees with it. Apologies if I do.

Cheers!

#192 xiaojia, Mar 13, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2007
  13. xiaojia

xiaojia Well-Known Member

O.. in response to the polls:

To those who said yes: cheers!

To those who said no:
    if your reason is that you feel disgraced by the behaviour of other Chinese and feel ashamed to be associated to them, cheers to you too. At least you care! Shame on you though for giving up on your own race! Do sth do make your race proud instead! Be the somebody whom people will will like to be associated to.

To those who don't care:
    We don't care about what you think anyway. You are probably some lost sheep in life who doesn't know what else to care about but yourself. Do not bite the hand that feed you. Do not forget the roots that make you who you are. If you are very sure that you have nothing about you that comes from being Chinese, then stand up and say so. Say that you are who you are only through your own efforts. That you gain nothing from those Chinese roots that you are born with. But if you do, I rather you say you are not Chinese. Cos you obviously do not have the very important trait of a Chinese: 飲水思源. Race is not just about skin color. It is about the values that we share.

14. AoiSora

AoiSora Member

I'm proud to be Chinese, but even if you're not, there's no point in bashing them, especially if you're one of them...

15. hkm91450

hkm91450 Well-Known Member

Well put :D and to the post before that !

16. ditzy

ditzy Well-Known Member

I'm proud being chinese, but i would like to mix it up =].. Like chinese/jap or chinese/korean.. haha =] cuz I would know 2 languages.

17. Athena

Athena Well-Known Member

yes i agree with the statement

18. amano.ai

amano.ai Well-Known Member

I don't really know the answer maybe I'm proud for some things and not for some others. But I'm sure I'm not ashamed to be chinese. :D

19. SakuraAngel

SakuraAngel Member

ehhhhhhhh!?!?

first question..
    is this person mentioned in the first post.. white-washed?
    if she is.. then it explains it all why she thinks so..

but if not..?
    wow im surprised..
    well unless she means the chinese government sucks crap..
    then i guess.

other than that..
    hell yeah im proud to b chinese

you should tell her..
    if it werent for chinese..
    koreans and japanese wouldnt exist =P

20. yunski

yunski Well-Known Member

I am proud to be Chinese otherwise I wouldn't have married Chinese.