Barrack O'Karma 1968 - 金宵大廈2

Discussion in 'Chinese Drama Discussion' started by ralphrepo, Apr 9, 2022.

1. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

The first series was pretty good. But I'm glad to see them make another series with the same actors on this concept of a creepy old building filled with quirky tenants. But the opening scene (ep 01) was hilarious; their version of electroconvulsive therapy was more like an execution by electric chair than medical treatment, LOL...

Also, their dialogue and portrayal of activities of daily living has become a lot more risque; when Selena is soaking in her bath, and her boyfriend comes in and he starts taking a piss (LOL...) and then she suggests if he wants to get it on. Of course he says no, only a moment later, to check out her skimpy outfit and legs and then he jumps her (nice, LOL...) And then afterwards, she asks him, 'so when'd you learn to do that new thing (making reference to a new sexual technique), it was really neat...' like, whoa, go TVB! LOL... (sidebar: he was probably visiting a hooker while he was in Taiwan, but hey, we're in 2022). Additionally, one scene where a prostitute is receiving two customers at once, only to have her young son show up and say he'll take the flyer from Selena because 'Mom is servicing a john right now...' :blink:

But I love how she pronounces Maurice as Morris; must be the HK pronunciation.

But the overall scary mood of this is much better than the previous version in 2019. It's like nobody paid their electric bills because the whole building is dark as a cave, even when the lights are on: this one is a lot creepier.

#1 ralphrepo, Apr 9, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2022
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  2. Jeff

Jeff 神之馬壯

Good to hear that it's getting good reviews. I quite enjoyed the first one too so I'm looking forward to this one

• Like Like x 1
  3. ralphrepo

LOL... end of ep 02 with the Terminator time transport move? :yes:

Ep 05, what every computer gamer day dreams about; what if... LOL...

#3 ralphrepo, Apr 10, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2022
  4. ralphrepo

Curious of what everyone thinks of the 'brownface' controversy with ep 07/08; please comment.

5. KilaKilaGirl

KilaKilaGirl Well-Known Member

I just like the concept of time travel and multiverse theory. Anything else is meh.

6. Jeff

Jeff 神之馬壯

7. crasianlee

crasianlee Well-Known Member

Heard the ratings are dropping big time in this series...

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Phoenix

Phoenix *~Though she be but little, she is fierce~*

Currently slowly catching up with this drama - finished episode 11 so far - ending was awful, I hate watching stuff like that that's why I can't watch certain films.

Also children! Why are you messaging some unknown entity - reminds me of the blue whale thing/creepy head face and some other horror film.

I really enjoyed the first season so was looking very forward to season 2 - it's good so far, I like that it's bit more creepy, bit of supernatural flair to it and the concept of the alternate reality universe - love things like this.

I agree with Ralph regarding the 'treatment' - that just made me laugh because it was so ridiculous and yes it's more risque - I've noticed more skinship scenes and suggestive dialogues being used in Asian drama - especially in the recent k-dramas, they are really going for it in the scenes.

The individual tenant stories is definitely intriguing but weird at the same time as usual.