Can a Christian and a Buddhist have a happy marriage?

Discussion in 'Philosophy & Religion' started by weilinny, Jan 1, 2008.

1. weilinny

weilinny Well-Known Member

What do you think? Can this be a harmonious relationship? What are the conflicts?

2. kdotc

kdotc 안녕하세요빅뱅K-Dragon입니다

i seen this b4...the buddhist becomes a christian..therefore happy ending

3. wind2000

wind2000 Self Schemata

I guess its the degree of their religious beliefs. If they are not too deep and radical into their beliefs, it is workable.

4. 17171771

17171771 New Member

My Mom is Buddhist and my dad is Catholic...after marry she became a catholic like my dad....even though they're now divorced but my mom is happy being cahotlic :) so I dont think there is any problem

5. i think as long as one is not the zomg-christianity-rules-forever or buddhism-for-eternity its fine..

but just because a woman is of a different religion doesnt mean that SHE has to change.. sometimes its the HE who changes.

6. Knoctur_nal

Knoctur_nal |Force 10 from Navarone|

if they are not fanatics and can compromise...why not..

7. MissCheekS

MissCheekS Reconnaîssant ❤

yep....my dad is catholic and my mum is buddhist.... but not like super die hard ones though...
    but yeah i reckon it can work out...

8. Just depends on the degree to which you follow your religion.

9. kird

kird Active Member

I don't think it really matters. My dad is a Buddhist and my mum's a Christian and they've been ok so far!

10. champ91

champ91 Well-Known Member

if the one of them is a serious christian then they will try and convert the other. if the other doesn't mind then it's ok. if they do mind then its not going to work.
    ________
    Trichome

#10 champ91, Jan 5, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  11. weilinny

weilinny Well-Known Member

thx for all the replies...gives me some perspective

12. fearless_fx

fearless_fx Eugooglizer

lol Buddhism is about moderation, acceptance, tolerance and patience.

imo Christianity is about conversion, prejudice, denial, and evangelism.

if your a buddhist and your husband is a serious Christian you will be converted eventually lol

13. frostshards

frostshards Well-Known Member

in all the bhuddist- christian relationships i have known of, the bhuddist always succumbs to the constant pressure in the end. I know cases of both men coverting women and wmoen convertin men. If it isn't the person him/herself trying to convert the spouse, the chuch and the rest of its members seem to begin pressuring the person to do it. In the end, this always happens. Anyways, it is rare and doubtful that a christian will even accept a marriage proposal from smoeoe of another religion, so you don't have to worry about whether orn ot th relationship will be harmonious and conflicting. Chances are, you won't see it happening after 1 or 2 years of marriage. The bhuddist will lose their religion or lose the relationship.

ps. Yes im bitter

14. bionca88

bionca88 Well-Known Member

I believe from different religion background is not and issue. What matter most is both must be able to accept and respect each other religion, then yes happy marriage is possible.

15. i dont see religion as a problem if 2 people really loved and respected each other. My partner is a christian and im an atheist, but we get along fine because we respect one anothers differences.

16. why can't the christian become buddhist?

17. smallrinilady

smallrinilady Well-Known Member

because christians believe they are right, and if you dont become you can't live a life in heaven together

and as others have mentioned I too have see this happen a lot
    the buddhist ends up christian

or there are some conflicts

18. hiake

hiake Vardøgr of da E.Twin

There wouldn't be any conflicts if everyone's Christian...

/sarcasm

So far, I haven't know many Christians turning away from their faith, they just become what I call "nominal Christians" instead

19. rlee172

rlee172 Active Member

I doubt there'd be any major conflicts if both sides aren't too deep in their beliefs... but then if they really did love each other, then they'd find a way to work it out.

20. uryu

uryu Well-Known Member

i'm pretty sure they can, since lots of family itsnt based on religion anyways