Cantonese mistaken as Viet

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by HK! Fish, Jun 17, 2006.

1. angel229

angel229 Well-Known Member

i have been mistaken for being japanese and mixed(white and chinese) and some people online thought im japanese and a person said i look abit viet..lol..when im indeed chinese.

2. letsdie45

letsdie45 New Member

mm last name is ngo, and people think im viet @@'' im actually chinese/

3. HK! Fish

HK! Fish Well-Known Member

just that ur viet doesn't mean that i'm saying anything wrong about u...
    i was wondering if anyone is being mistaken, cuz not all ppl may look like their reg. race. and most majority of different race say mostly viets, so i was curious.

not my point.

what ur words meant is sort of like, when u see a mexican person, n u go up to them and say "are you white?"...
    i guess the answer would of been "no"..

that's what it's like if that's what u meant.

#43 HK! Fish, Jul 13, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2006
  4. kdotc

kdotc 안녕하세요빅뱅K-Dragon입니다

vietboi made hkfish mad lol

5. AC0110

AC0110 Let the Fun Begin

HAHAHA, you're mistaken as Viet. But what's wrong with that -sweat as least you still consider a asian >.<

6. HK! Fish

i've only get that question sometimes... but usually all my friends and most ppl i know.

7. aussiekid

aussiekid Well-Known Member

oh.. by names.. no leh.. so many viets i knoe are mostly NGUYEN..>,<
    moreover looks btw canton n viets r different.. can tell de..

8. don

don ello

some people mistaken me as korean or jap because of my last name =S

9. hkm91450

hkm91450 Well-Known Member

Are your parents from Vietnam (as in Chinese people living in Vietnam)? Isn't "Ngo" the equivalent to "Ng"(HK) or "Wu"(Mainland) (吳)?

Lots of Chinese people from Vietnam were forced to substitute their Chinese last names with Viet spelling by the gov't back then.

So for example, it someone's last name is actually "Chan" in Chinese, they were forced to use "Tran" instead. So that's why lots of people would think that you are Viet when you're not...

10. HK! Fish

yea isn't Ngo a vietnamese last name? cuz i've never heard it for a chinese before.
    i think Ng would be the version of Chinese (Cantonese) last name instead.

btw, Chan is my last name. :p

And in other languages like Teo Chiu Chinese, it's consider as Tang. Which is also my last name... :D

11. hkm91450

This is also why lots of Vietnamese Chinese - when they emigrated from Vietnam to other countries, they converted their last names back to Chinese spelling.

I guess, to some, carrying that Vietnamese last name is somewhat of a 'disgrace' or 'embarassment', and therefore that need to be 'purely' Chinese - inside and outside.

12. HK! Fish

being more of a purely does really bring out the chinese in both the inside and outside.
    cuz if without it, feels like having a home but without a roof.

13. hkm91450

Yup, and to Chinese people, Chinese with Vietnamese last names don't get as much respect. It's almost as if you're 'lower class' if you've got a Viet name, although you're not Viet.

14. HK! Fish

but there are also SOME last names that's shared by cantonese and viets, like: Lam, for example...
    even though you're chinese or viet, ppl won't be able to tell.. unless if they speak in their language or if u identify them.
    But mostly the ones that i've seen in real life, mostly are Viets.
    Only some that I know that are Cantonese..... that is, if I go to Chinatown or communicate with some other chinese. :p

15. trinomial

trinomial Member

never had that happen to me....but when i have my cap and sunglasses on at the same time, some people mistake me as white...????

16. VietBoi

VietBoi Well-Known Member

Nguyễn 阮
    Trần 陳
    Lê 黎
    Huỳnh/Hoàng 黃
    Phạm 范
    Phan 潘
    Vũ/Võ 武
    Đặng 鄧
    Bùi 裴
    Đỗ 杜
    Hồ 胡
    Ngô 吳
    Dương 楊

17. coconutgirl510

coconutgirl510 New Member

hmm, intresting. i haven't before. But maybe becuase of my dark skin, i get mistaken for a Mexican mix more. -_-

18. hkm91450

^ I've had that happen too... some person thought I was latino >.<

19. HK! Fish

^ mexican? latino? lol

-rotfl

20. hkm91450

^ Yes ... sadly yes. I don't know - I'm not even dark or anything. -lol ... That's why I hate the ignorance of white people. Can't tell the difference between anything. :p