Cantonese mistaken as Viet

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by HK! Fish, Jun 17, 2006.

1. kaka*

kaka* Well-Known Member

ive never been mistaken for viet..
    but almost everyone thinks im korean..
    the ones who dont think im korean are those who hear me speak canto haha

i think its the small eyes -_____________-"

2. endo

endo Well-Known Member

all the time....but then again....i was born there but i'm ethnically chinese.
    and my friends say that i look more vietnamese than chinese hehe even though both my parents are chinese

3. twistedltg

twistedltg Member

Well anyone can be mistaken for someone, not just chinese or vietnamese, its fun to do call someone black when they arent, the reaction on their faces are funny.

4. wysandman

wysandman Well-Known Member

i was mistaken as mainlander in hk, which kind of unny even though i spoke cantonese.

5. misstk

misstk Member

always!
    people think i'm japanese, viet, thai, korean...
    japanese and korean, ok, i understand a little but viet and thai?! don't understand because i'm really pale !

6. AutoArt85

AutoArt85 Active Member

people always think i look viet, and start talking to me in viet before evening getting to know me,but im really cantonese,and when i travel back to HK this pass week, people there think im from mainland,because i was dress in slacks and dress shirt,and leather shoes.

7. bonbon2

bonbon2 Member

Oh i get it all the time, that people think I'm viet. Actually, I get mistakened for Viet, Flip, Thai... Maybe just cause I'm darker than most chinese but damn.. funniest is when they start talking to me in their language..

8. FiNa|DiStaNc3

FiNa|DiStaNc3 Active Member

Im chinese and ive been mistaken as a filipino by my student teacher in math. He said i didn't look filipino and i looked chinese, but appearently i was wearin one of those necklaces with the red string and jade, and he said filipino ppl wore them.

9. dc5-r

dc5-r New Member

happen to me all the time..cuz i hang out with alot of vietnamese >.<

10. wilsont06

wilsont06 Well-Known Member

I get mixed with the Vietnamese because my parents are from Vietnam but they don't know that there are Chinese people who resides in Vietnam. Shamelessly, my last name is Truong and I want to change it to Chang or Cheung but it costs money.

11. cheung

cheung Member

nope but i have been mistaken as a japanese and a filipino T.T not as much though now cuz i got a little lighter skinned

12. bul.newb

bul.newb Active Member

llol

i've never been mistaken as viet but i've been mistaken as japanese....>.<

13. FFXSSJ

FFXSSJ New Member

I've been mistaken as viet b4 but only during early high school cause of the surname and skin colour. But i guess it generally depends on the area where you live.

14. adrianc

adrianc Well-Known Member

Funny thing about misconceptions and looks.

I have been mistaken many times as mix. I think it is the round eyes and the facial hair...

15. rsx

rsx Well-Known Member

Wait.. this topic title is a bit misleading, it should be changed to "Chinese people mistaken as Vietnamese" or something.
    I had thought that the thread was about others mistaking the Cantonese language as Vietnamese language -- impossible!

16. ceewok

ceewok Member

lol that happens to me too sometimes : P

17. o4o3o4

o4o3o4 Member

I'm Toi San people mistaken me as flip.

18. o4o3o4

o4o3o4 Member

Well sometimes people just think I'm mixed or some other crap, some people even asked if i was spanish[???] o_O

19. adrianc

adrianc Well-Known Member

haha. i speak some spanish. maybe that the problem

20. hkm91450

hkm91450 Well-Known Member

Well.... mainlanders in the South speak Cantonese.....
    Pretty much, if you don't got the HK accent, HK people will know that you're not HK

#120 hkm91450, Dec 28, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2006