Confused about Family Relationship

Discussion in 'Wax and Wane - 團圓' started by aznxray, Jun 15, 2011.

1. aznxray

aznxray Member

This is bothering the hell out of me.
    In episode 1 Sunny Chan's dad says that his younger sister's son is Roger Kwok's dad which doesnt make much sense because Sunny Chan's dad doesnt seem much older than Roger kwok's dad. Then in episode 2 Ron Ng says that his grandmother and Kate Tsui's grandfather are brothers and sisters which doesnt make sense because Kate Tsui's grandfather is actually Ron Ng's grandmother's dad. And lastly is it cool that Kate Tsui and Ron Ng are dating seeing as how they are pretty closely related?

2. KT

KT H E L L O K T ♥

lol my mom and I were trying to figure out the relationship too. so basically Sunny's dad calls that lady 姑姐 (younger aunt from dad's side) and Roger's dad calls her 阿姨 (Aunt from mother's side). So Roger's grandma and Sunny's grandpa are siblings. Which is why Sunny's dad says that Sunny's grandpa gave a lot of money to his sister (Roger's grandma)

but ugh, Ron and Kate.. :ugh:

Why does it seem like Ron always dates his cousins in dramas. so gross.

3. aznxray

aznxray Member

Sunny's Grandpa is Roger's grandma's dad, they are not siblings as stated in episode 1, but what ron ng says in episode 2 contradicts it

4. KT

KT H E L L O K T ♥

Ron calls him 表伯 (Dad's older cousin). Idk where Ron says something else because I haven't watched the episode yet but I only kept hearing him call Sunny's dad 表伯

5. kevin

kevin RAWR!

in this era the relationship can get so confusing to understand.

6. SUSIE-DANG-1988

SUSIE-DANG-1988 ~ TVB ADDICT ~

[​IMG]

LOL! omg, today's episode I was trying sooo hard to figure out!! I just don't understand!!! lol.
    okk.. first off all what is 表伯?! lol. right, this is what I think. How are these two families related?!

- Sunny + Toby = Cousin
    - Sunny + Kate = Bro and sis
    - Roger + Ron = Brother

What does that leave to Sunny and Roger's dad? = cousins?

7. seems like TVB touching on the incest theme these days...maybe to cause controversy? :rolleyes:

8. KT

KT H E L L O K T ♥

表伯 = dad's older cousin. because 伯 = your dad's older brother and 表 = cousin so your dad's older cousin.

9. Dragon*D

Dragon*D Well-Known Member

Another rich and poor film where poorer ones reckon the richer owes them everything. But hell with the relationships, basically they are one family tree split from the greater grans, one from the dad side and the other the mother side and the poorer one reckons the older generation conned them blah blah..... just don't like ron ng and kate tsui's relationship never heard how they call each other first cousins? second cousins?..... maybe if they spill it out

10. turbobenx

turbobenx .........

_uck this series. I'm done wit it.

11. Espresso

Espresso Well-Known Member

it's like 'biu' anything = incest. LOL

no matter how u cut it. i guess they are calabash cousins?

12. haolk

haolk Member

i guess in ep1, sunny's dad got the dialog wrong (saying 'my' sister) instead of 'his' (dad's) sister and nobody realized it
    even the one who did the subtitles since it's only ep1.
    Sunny's dad and Roger's dad are cousins. Their grandparents are siblings.

13. kevin

kevin RAWR!

I knew there was something going on with Roger's mom towards Toby...

14. aznxray

aznxray Member

Now Ron Ng's dad is shown to have relations with his cousin in episode 11. Not cool.

15. SUSIE-DANG-1988

SUSIE-DANG-1988 ~ TVB ADDICT ~

haha one word: MESS! lol

i think there is more to discover?

16. [N]

[N] RATED [ ]

in hk maternal cousins can get together, its been in tons of tvb shows. Its nasty but thats their culture.