Degree Of Fluency In Chinese

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by ralphrepo, Nov 1, 2006.

?

How fluent is your Chinese?

1. My Chinese's so good, I can be an on the fly translator at the UN. I understand TV news in Chinese

41 vote(s)
    26.6%
  2. No problems conversationally, but formal Chinese (like the news) is difficult for me

63 vote(s)
    40.9%
  3. No problems conversationally, but formal Chinese (like the news) is beyond me

21 vote(s)
    13.6%
  4. OK to order in a Chinese eatery, but please don't ask me to translate

20 vote(s)
    13.0%
  5. I can say my name in Chinese, and I wish Chinese entertainment had more English subtitles.

9 vote(s)
    5.8%
  1. can't say i'm good enough to b a translator for the UN but i don't really have problems with cantonese or mandarin news broadcast ... i dunno which one to pick...

2. 23kenn

23kenn Well-Known Member

im a CBC but i can speak canto with no problem.. just that i can't read the characters

3. winterfuyu

winterfuyu Well-Known Member

Yeah, I can't completely understand newscasts, but I can understand what the report is about by reading the caption >_>;

4. sp-lork

sp-lork Well-Known Member

hm...im like a totall...banana. ahaha. well...i can understand and speak canto..but like i can't read many words...my reading is limited =P

5. aznboi333

aznboi333 Member

yea i'm similiar to the original poster. I am very fluent in cantonese in conventional everyday talking, but when it comes to technical stuff, I can get really lost. Just like in chinese music, some of their poems are really hard to understand.

6. larlarlar

larlarlar Well-Known Member

I guess I'd fit in the third category, I hope >.<

7. nunubutt

nunubutt Well-Known Member

learning it college right now on top of being able to speak.

8. the news broadcast is not a problem... but i have a problem when i watch things like War and Beauty or The Dance of Passion... i usually understand abt half of what they r saying n try to work out the rest by reading the subtitles n analysing word by word like chinese poems... but that takes me a while n i couldn't catch up with the next dialogue :p

9. Lazy06

Lazy06 Member

i don't think that my chiense is that bad but when my parents start to ask me to translate for them it takes hella long for the words to match the english words >.<

10. singlung2099

singlung2099 Well-Known Member

I can't really speak cantonese that well enough to get by but sometimes I tend to change dialect (chi chao) mid way so some ppl don't quite understand what I'm saying. I didn't realise until my friend pointed it out to me.

11. munchie mun

munchie mun Member

my chinese i pretty good i know how to say a lot of words since i help my mom translate a lot but my writing is horrible mainly because i've been raised in america pretty much all my life and i haven't been exposed to writing and reading chinese

12. twistedltg

twistedltg Member

My cantonese is ok, but when it comes to mandarin, i know it but it doesnt know me. I can speak a few phrases in mandarin but no one can understand it :(

13. misstk

misstk Member

Speak mandarin semi-fluently! still learning!
    i understand TV news in chinese!

14. ceetal

ceetal Well-Known Member

oh this is a cool thread.. bah my chinese is okay.. like when talking with other cbc who knows chinese.. i prefer speaking canto.. more practice x)
    but then when talking to people who just camee from hk/china or is just really good at chinese.. it's like.. so hard.. for sure to embarrass myself -o-'

15. kaungkinmoe

kaungkinmoe Member

i learned the Chinese language from my dad. i can communicate up to a certain point.

16. Daisygirl

Daisygirl Member

"No problems conversationally, but formal Chinese (like the news) is difficult for me". I'd also have to say some of the song lyrics cause problems for me too.

17. elitorsomeone

elitorsomeone Well-Known Member

Can communicate but that about it

18. The_Jelly

The_Jelly NSFW? :P

Like-wise.

19. AutoArt85

AutoArt85 Active Member

i can speak canto with ease and mandarin, and read and write it with no problem, thanks to my parents i guess,for teaching me when i was little too now, But i wont say that i can be a U.N translator, cause its a big job, if i mess up,i might get the world in war ahahah

20. da1nonlythun

da1nonlythun Member

My Chinese is horrible because I am born in AMerica.