Degree Of Fluency In Chinese

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by ralphrepo, Nov 1, 2006.

?

How fluent is your Chinese?

1. My Chinese's so good, I can be an on the fly translator at the UN. I understand TV news in Chinese

41 vote(s)
    26.6%
  2. No problems conversationally, but formal Chinese (like the news) is difficult for me

63 vote(s)
    40.9%
  3. No problems conversationally, but formal Chinese (like the news) is beyond me

21 vote(s)
    13.6%
  4. OK to order in a Chinese eatery, but please don't ask me to translate

20 vote(s)
    13.0%
  5. I can say my name in Chinese, and I wish Chinese entertainment had more English subtitles.

9 vote(s)
    5.8%
  1. hkm91450

hkm91450 Well-Known Member

Well, how I see it, is that one person can go to Chinese school for so many years, and still NOT be fluent in the language. I think if someone wants to be fluent in Chinese, they got to have the passion to learn it and also make the effort.

If you look at today's Chinese schools in North America, most kids just go because "their parents force them". I'm pretty sure they really enjoy missing hot breakfast and early morning cartoons :p

Furthermore, Chinese schools today are C-R-A-P. Yes, you do learn many words, but are they really useful in today's society? I remember the textbooks I used to use for Chinese school, and they always dealt with Confuscious and crap... Now that's really gonna help me on the streets in HK. :p

I think the best way to learn it - and I've probably said this hundreds of times in other similar threads - is to actually be submersed in the culture, speak it as much as possible with others, read, watch shows and movies, listen to music, radio programs, etc. and most importantly, to take pride and passion in the learning process. Learning Chinese is an experience; and shouldn't be a chore, as it is to many CBCs and ABCs and BBCs.

Look at the all the foreign people in HK; they are there because they love Chinese culture, and look how fast they've picked up the language (well, of course, they are in a 24/7 Chinese environment, but you see my point - they got the passion to learn)

2. Danny7835

Danny7835 Member

I can speak in chinese very well, i just don't know how to write.

3. nyckeion

nyckeion ....Boo....

i find my chinese pretty fluent i can understand the news pretty easily but then I am a ABC also... but my parents made me speak chinese at home all the time so thats the differnece i guess

4. ribsandbbqbeef

ribsandbbqbeef Well-Known Member

That's true. I agree with you. If one doesn't have the heart to learn something, I guess no matter what one does, he will not learn it.

I also agree that kids today are not interested in going to Chinese school or learning Chinese. It's a sad thing, esp if a foreigner ends up knowing Chinese better than these kids who can't even speak a lick of it.

However, I do not agree that the Chinese taught in North American Chinese school is useless. I see many of the words in chinese novels, books, and newspapers. However you're right, the more "proper" words are usually not seen in magazines, TV subtitles, or music lyrics because many of the words used in pop culture are targeted to a different age group or different type of audience/listener.

5. gotbeef

gotbeef Member

I only speak chinglish.

6. Taxloss

Taxloss Stripper Vicar

I'm a NBC (Netherlands born Chinese), went to Chinese school for about 3 years when I was aged 5 or so but it didn't help much with that 3 hours a week.

I speak just enough Cantonese to ask the road (cho/yo..."which was left and which was right again?"), order 'wan tan mien' and chat about the simple daily things but the news and serious discussions are way beyond me. Think I'll understand about 20% of the news; Cantonese people in HK speak so fast I often only hear the first part of a sentence!

Maybe I should have voted for the last option...-unsure

7. awong04

awong04 Well-Known Member

my canto is alright... i can understand really well... can't read tho... speaking is pretty good...

8. JYJLrock

JYJLrock Well-Known Member

I can speak it, listening to Chinese news wouldnt be a problem, translating hmmm not really good LOL but i voted the 1st option anyway AHAHA

9. wildspecies

wildspecies Member

I had the exact same experience as Ralph actually... I thought my Cantonese was very good too until I had to translate a medical diagnosis and found it to be very overwhelmingly. I had to substitute a lot of words and found that I had to describe the medical jargon in very simple Cantonese terms in order to get the message across.. embarrassing.

10. eason41

eason41 Well-Known Member

I came to america from HK when I was 7, I can read most chinese characters but

occasionally getting some of them mixed up. I cannot write tho lol.

11. churro

churro New Member

LOL nice i came from hk when i was 7 too, read a little bit. too much ABC friends.

12. cyrus

cyrus Well-Known Member

I live in Australia. My Chinese's not bad, I can understand TV news in Chinese....but when i talk to people from Beijing.....i can't fully understand what they are saying.....i mean they roll there tongues too much.....and thats hard to understand

13. kamikrazy123

kamikrazy123 Member

i can speak fluently in cantonese, like in a conversation without any problems
    reading/writing chinese...dont even ask..i cant do it lol

14. arsenal6

arsenal6 Member

cantonese im pretty fluent i know even phrases...i dun even know why i understand them lol...but i can't write nor read...which sucks

15. kagome10

kagome10 Well-Known Member

I can speak fluently but am really bad at reading and writing

16. ctsport

ctsport Member

Iam CBC -scooter and I speak better canton than most other CBCs but not totally fluent (still lots of room for improvement)

17. tonkachi

tonkachi Well-Known Member

born and raised in america but i feel that my chinese is good enough to hold a conversation with people and i guess good enough that people in HK think i was born in HK but moved to america/canada to study....hahahahahaha i guess that is good enough for me......but those news vocabulary is hard to understand.....

18. fearless_fx

fearless_fx Eugooglizer

im only half chinese, but my first language was cantonese becuz my grandpa used to live with my family and me and him were buddies, however over time and once i started school i kind of forgot cantonese and began to speak primarily english. I still retain a little bit of the language though and i can often understand most conversations, especially dinner talk. in terms of speaking im not so good, and i only know enuff chinese characters to make sure i dont wander into the women's bathroom. :)

19. dim8sum

dim8sum ♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪....

yeh hes been going for quite a few years, from my personal experience of chinese school, we always spoke english anyways to each other -noclue (except when the teacher talks to us or tells us off)

plus chinese school was for 2-3 hours once a sunday, so it really depends on the home situation. the only reason i can speak canto is cause my 'rents dont speak to me in english

20. smokedhen

smokedhen Well-Known Member

My chinese sucks. I can talk to ppl fine, but I have to translate stuff from english to chinese in my head before I say some things.