Degree Of Fluency In Chinese

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by ralphrepo, Nov 1, 2006.

?

How fluent is your Chinese?

1. My Chinese's so good, I can be an on the fly translator at the UN. I understand TV news in Chinese

41 vote(s)
    26.6%
  2. No problems conversationally, but formal Chinese (like the news) is difficult for me

63 vote(s)
    40.9%
  3. No problems conversationally, but formal Chinese (like the news) is beyond me

21 vote(s)
    13.6%
  4. OK to order in a Chinese eatery, but please don't ask me to translate

20 vote(s)
    13.0%
  5. I can say my name in Chinese, and I wish Chinese entertainment had more English subtitles.

9 vote(s)
    5.8%
  1. yenthi

yenthi Well-Known Member

too much formal talk make me feel asif i duno much then i go all shy and avoid speakin hehe

2. reflection

reflection Well-Known Member

If fluency excludes technical, industry, or scientific nouns/phrases then I guess I'm fluent. Reading and writing is another story, but I'm definitely getting better. Having more exposure probably helps, but I tend to be more involved in learning the actual subject than communicating it in another language. Sigh.

3. amyvu

amyvu Member

my chinese is beyond ok bc i can understand most of the formal chinese on the news and tvb series. but the problem is that i cannot write or read
    :(

4. 無得頂

無得頂 Well-Known Member

I am fluent in chinese, especially cantonese. My mandarin is only average and sometimes can't fully understand mandarin speakers. My cantonese is on par with HK people.

5. Jill

Jill Well-Known Member

I am good in Haka and Cantonese. Have learnt mandarin at school ...so really ma ma tei

6. wind2000

wind2000 Self Schemata

^ Haka is for which region in China?

7. xxsweetheartxx

xxsweetheartxx Well-Known Member

I'm flient in both Canto and Mando
    translating is a little different sometimes gotta practice more that's all

8. philostrate

philostrate Well-Known Member

it's forgiven for not knowing the technical terminologies because u r not a med student or a doctor....i am exactly like you but now learning to recognize more characters through singing and watching more TVB series of course-bigclap ...seriously learn to sing by watching the chinese lyrics..it's abig help...

9. subaru3169

subaru3169 Well-Known Member

my cantonese is getting worse and worse.. i hate living in los angeles

10. spech

spech Well-Known Member

I was born in HK, but am more like a CBC in terms of Cantonese ability. I can have a basic conversation and understand about 70% of the TVB series, but I'm totally lost with any formal Cantonese (i.e., lyrics, news, etc.).

11. brown_bear

brown_bear ☆‧° ☆﹒﹒‧ ☆ ﹒﹒‧☆‧° ☆

my canto is conversational but i wouldnt say its great but at least i can speak it right :)

12. PhY pHy

PhY pHy Well-Known Member

I was born in HK...and i moved to stinky
    edmonton when i was 3...but i already
    speak canto (even tho i was 3) and i
    had some troubles speaking english
    when i first came here...i would say until
    grade 5...lol...

I started taking chinese when i was in
    grade 4...so i can read chinese...understand
    canto like and HKer...so news on the chinese
    channel wouldnt be a problem...and i understand
    mando...speak? kinda wrong tones sometimes..
    but gets the meaning thro...

13. KT

KT H E L L O K T ♥

As an ABC, I'd say my canto is pretty good. It may have to do with me living in San Francisco.. lols when I go to China and stuff my parents friends/relatives always get surprised by my fluency :]

14. veexd

veexd Member

Went to Chinese School since I was young, so my Chinese is quite fluent and I grew up listening to Chinese songs and watching dramas so yeah.. I'm pretty good ^^

15. lanbexx

lanbexx Member

i can navigate around china perfectly fine by myself, but actually sounding formal and stuff is really hard for me.

16. smilely

smilely Well-Known Member

i am a very fluenty speaker in cantonese as i was brought up speaker by my parents as they are kind of strick they will always expect me to speaker cantonese at home other then english as they may feeling i might not be able to speak it again, the only problem i have is that i'm not really good at reading and writing chinese.

17. Kqc84

Kqc84 Well-Known Member

i used to be better in chinese. now that i'm older and haven't really spoken the language in so many years....it's just easier for me to speak english if i want to communicate to a chinese person...