Do you ever have trouble listening to canto music?

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by uryu, Jun 1, 2006.

1. kitster

kitster Member

nah, canto music is easy to understand

2. 101

101 Well-Known Member

#102 101, Mar 26, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  3. hiake

hiake Vardøgr of da E.Twin

Wow, am I seeing double or is something going on with the "copy-someone-else's-reply-and-take-as-own" phenomenon?

4. hwen2ee

hwen2ee Member

i totally get what you mean! yeah i speak cantonese fluently but when i listen to cantonese songs the lyrics dont ring a bell in my head. i guess in a way it has to do with how the singers deliever the lyrics, sometimes they can break a meaningful sentence into a few parts and as a result it doesnt make sense.

5. yunski

yunski Well-Known Member

My Cantonese sucks so I just listen to the melodies.

6. shadow85

shadow85 Well-Known Member

hmmm nope, canto music is awesome. compared to mando i say canto is more chilled.

7. Ham_Sup

Ham_Sup Active Member

Formal Cantonese and Colloquial Cantonese are different though.., unless you study formal Cantonese, completely understanding Canto-music will be a bit difficult

8. BagGirl

BagGirl Well-Known Member

I dont have much of a problem with songs, just sometimes dont understand what they're singing about but chinese songs are mostly about love

9. ToFO

ToFO Active Member

sometimes.

10. dream4everwest

dream4everwest Well-Known Member

songs sung in canto may not always sound like the spoken word. Thus there is often a confusion of sorts. However, the song writer really cant write the song as if it was to be spoken....that would make it less of a song and more like a monologue.

11. real0st

real0st Well-Known Member

I dunno, maybe it's the music i listen to, but sometimes it sounds slurred to me, but to my friends they somewhat understand the music.

12. azndude18

azndude18 Active Member

I have always wondered about this... I know i can carry out a normal conversation in cantonese pretty well (at least that's what i think) When it comes to song lyrics... it's a whole different story. Some songs I can get a pretty good grasp on what they are saying but in some songs I am just absolutely clueless. I guess the main reasons is because the songs are too fast and I am english educated. It is sometimes frustrating and depressing not knowing what they are singing... *sigh*

13. tanaka

tanaka Active Member

yea if i have conversation with cantonese normally i dun have a problem.

If let say when i hear those cantonese songs, i will get blur blur already....

14. BlueSkyJ_J

BlueSkyJ_J New Member

never a problem to me... i really enjoy listening to cantonese songs-bigsmile

15. kybhor

kybhor Member

My chinese vocab sucks lol, so i find it sometimes hard to understand whats being sung >.>

16. kiraexiled

kiraexiled Member

The words when compared to singing it and when to speaking it is different. So gotta have a huge canto vocab library in your brain :D

17. peace

peace Active Member

Yeah! you are right for some points nevertheless sometimes I want to know what there are singing. And when I heard contonese song most of the time I can't understand what they are singing even if I'm speaking contonese.

Maybe i'm not so good in contonese that I believe, don't know.

18. tvbfreak1234

tvbfreak1234 Member

there will be such problem sometimes.. cause canto lyrics r ind of diff from speaking in daily life..

19. Myer

Myer Well-Known Member

In fact I don't have a clue what they are always singing about -huh

Too much unknown vocabulary, I would say

20. bbes

bbes Incredible

well i don't rele have much trouble listening to canto songs i don't think but i guess i don't rele pay attention to the lyrics that closely unless it is a song that i like a lot which i don't rele have a problem in distinguishing in what they are singing about.