Do you ever have trouble listening to canto music?

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by uryu, Jun 1, 2006.

1. sobe

sobe Member

I listen to canto songs mostly, but can't understand the whole song. Maybe just bits and pieces of it... haha.

2. zita3000

zita3000 Active Member

i know cantonese. ^^
    but my pronouciation is not exactly all that great (since i had english influence ever since i was a kid)

3. cothfy

cothfy Active Member

I enjoy listening to cantonese music, but find it very hard to understand lyrics with deep meanings.

4. vexhawk

vexhawk New Member

If you know how to translate Mandarin into Cantonese it becomes helpful in understanding Cantonese music. If you know Classical Chinese it's even better. Cantonese music is sang in poetic form. Learning to read the news paper (which is sometimes written very formally) will also help.

I use to have so much trouble understanding Cantonese music even though I am fluent. It wasn't until I took a course on Classical Chinese (文言文) that I understood the songs fully.

I know that a lot of us would rather Cantonese songs be conversation like; but I think its very poetic that they still sing in that way; it adds so much more meaning to all of the songs.

5. auta

auta Well-Known Member

i remmeber the first time i actually started listening to canto music (i was into white music for like the first 14 years of my life) i was having difficulty ujst understanding what there on about. but as time goes past and you listen to more and more you start to pickup the songs both lyrical wise and understand what there talking about. nowdays i can sing along and understand =D

6. Chibi12

Chibi12 Well-Known Member

yep, i always have this problem, i never seem to fully understand wat they hell they're saying, but then again, i have the same problem with the news too!

7. KaMaN^^v

KaMaN^^v Member

depends on the accent

8. spikeeleon

spikeeleon New Member

never did fully understand cantonese ><
    i can however fully understand mandarin :D

9. 8570

8570 Member

i never understand the fully meaning of the songs, mostly just pieces of them >.<

10. kenryuakuma

kenryuakuma Active Member

Well...Mandarin music is my fav. Cantonese music or song is ok to me. But I hardly really listen to them as they are no better than rap music. I guess because of the melody or whatever. I am not really that interested in Cantonese music. What I am listening is En, Man as well as Jap or sometimes Ko.....Very least often I will listen to Cantonese music.

11. Myer

Myer Well-Known Member

Well, I understand NOTHING because sung Cantonese is pretty sophisticated Cantonese, in my opinion... ^^

12. person

person Well-Known Member

Yeah, I usually have trouble listening to the songs.
    I just end up humming to the music.

13. tricky7_

tricky7_ Well-Known Member

The reason why it's hard for us to understand canto music lyrics is because they sing in a more formel cantonese.
    For example they use 不 [bat] instead of 唔 [mh] for "no/not" , they use 他 [taa] instead of 佢 [kuih] for he/her.

14. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

Its the same as written Chinese. If you know how to read and write in Chinese then its not a problem. People who are functionally illiterate (that is, can only speak Chinese) won't be able to decipher the written forms of the language as easily.

Ralph

15. polar43

polar43 Member

Sometimes, its probably due to not understanding some of the formalities used. I guess having the lyrics handy helps ^^

16. dawgxmaster

dawgxmaster Well-Known Member

i only understand the basic canto

17. namelessl3oy

namelessl3oy Member

haha same problem too :D

18. ProjectD

ProjectD VIP yay :]

yeah same thing happens to me but theres always lyrics to look forward too
    so i guess its okay

19. schung23

schung23 Well-Known Member

haha yes : )

20. azndude18

azndude18 Active Member

i think canto music is harder to understand because it is more formal rather than day-to-day conversational canto we are use to hearing and speaking.