Do You Think Hong Kong Artist Can Sing?

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by EvaxTvxQ, Jun 28, 2006.

1. bub_mnm

bub_mnm Member

umm... i agree with u all...some r rly good singer/ators ,.... but some.. for ex. RON NG just cant sing.... the first song he sand was horrible.. he was always of tune

2. surplusletterbox

surplusletterbox Well-Known Member

Of course , Hong Kong singers can sing! Hong Kong people can do all sorts of things. The reason why you think that they may not do as well is because most people compare 5 millions Hong Kong people with what could be produced with 60 million or 500 million people such as USA! The principle is that small nations always find it hard to produce great performing artists. The reason is that it takes a huge amount of financial resource to produce an internationally recognised star. In the west the habit is that people buy genuine copyright products and the royalities go to the artists. In the East , . ..ahemmm!

Therefore when you mathematically adjust for the size of the population effect and financial resources then the Hong Kong singers can sing as well as any others! -rockon

Another factor is that the customer is always right (same principle as the age old principle of : YOU GET OR YOU DESERVE WHAT YOU PAY FOR!) If there is money to pay for people who sings out of tune then so be it! The customer is the final arbiter. There are people who value singing from the looks or the marketing just like people who value food for its presentation and not for its nutritional value.

#262 surplusletterbox, Oct 21, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2007
  3. bbes

bbes Incredible

most hong kong artists can sing. take eason chan for example, he has a gd voice and can sing. but there are a few that cannot sing and are rele using their looks or reputation to gain profit. *cough* twins. thats my opinion anyway.

4. Kablamo

Kablamo Active Member

personally, i don't like eason chan's voice. it sounds too "weak" for me and doesn't sound like he can project a "powerful" voice. just my $0.02. but on the other hand, his movies are alright.

5. ksongaddict

ksongaddict New Member

honestly, there are not too many singers nowadays from hk that can sing. by that i mean the ones that can sing live on key, in tune, on beat, with enough air, able to harmonize with others. there are only a handful that can do all that... jacky cheung, andy lau, andy hui, hacken lee, leo ku, ronald cheng, william so, sammi cheng, sally yip, sandy lam, janice, and maybe joey yung (she's kinda iffy because i've seen her live at different events and can be really good or so-so).

i know there are fans of certain stars out there who thinks their idol can sing but when you put them together with true talents like amei, faye wong, etc., man...do they pale in comparisons. trust me, gigi cannot sing live. she's constantly off key and not enough air. miriam is okay but her voice does not have enough range to be a true singer. kelly cannot sing live at all...she is too wooden with no emotion and cannot harmonize with hacken or andy live. when she sings their duet songs live, it sounds totally different than the album. unfortunately, a lot of hk singers (twins, ella, ron, etc.) rely on music technology too much when they produce albums to make them sound good.

can't really blame the music producers because people still buy the crappy albums the idols put out. if we as consumers starts being more selective on what we buy, then maybe the industry will go back to the way it was where only the talented ones make it big and not for just looking good.

6. ofey

ofey Active Member

Actually I agree with lots of what's been said so far. Not many current HK singers now can do it. Faye Wong was one of the last true talents.

My gripe with alot of Chinese artistes today is:
    a) They don't write their own material.
    b) They can't hold a tune - You find that out at their concerts.
    c) Their concerts has more talk than action.

More and more they seemed to be picked based on looks. A more burly looking song-writing team sits behind these "stars" and alot of studio work is done to make their albums sound good. Watching them at a concert then you realise just how terrible they are... .

7. tien317

tien317 Well-Known Member

A lot of them can sing....Just the market isn't good now...Hope they will succeed...
    Hacken Lee, Leo Ku, Eason Chan, Justin, Alam Tam, Andy Hui, Andy Lau...etc
    Sammi, Miriam, Joey, Janice, other older singers....

8. ckhar

ckhar Well-Known Member

most of them can sing, just need more practice should be fine

9. dafan

dafan New Member

don't think it's as gud as the past.

10. person

person Well-Known Member

Not anymore... not anymore.

11. khaotic

khaotic Fobulous

I downloaded Eason's new album, cause I thought he was pretty decent. But then...... I listened to it!

And its not only HK artists, but Taiwan/China artist are getting worse. Jay's new album is pretty bad.

12. qnips

qnips New Member

OF COURSE THEY CAN !! LOL WAHT YOU THINK!, they are the best imo!!
    taiwanese also ,

13. jimmyjai07

jimmyjai07 Member

only a handful

14. lilchan92

lilchan92 Well-Known Member

well since tvb makes everyone a singer i dont think all of them can sing and u can tell when u hear them live and u cant really judge them untill u hear it live since in the studios they can mess around and fit ur voice up how ever much they want so i dont think all of them can sing but some of them are ok and some of them accually can sing but then once agian some of them cant even act very well if they are good singers so it really depends

15. FishieExP

FishieExP Well-Known Member

I hate how there are always new and new singers for TVB, it's like they let anyone join. Although some of them can sing, some can't.

16. taiguy

taiguy New Member

Even if they let whoever in, only the really good ones will last...Its true if you say that HKpop is declining in quality, but that doesn't mean nobody can sing... I find myself listening to old Canto songs (jacky, kit, andy, etc.) and new Taiwan productions. Everything has its ups and downs....

17. xsilentxtears

xsilentxtears Member

Only a good portion of them can sing. I went back to listening to Chinese music, since most of the white music is all about the bitches and hos.[except for alternative.... that stuff is good. ] then when every dude/dudette for TVB can supposedly sing and act... all hell is about to break loose.
    the old classics had meaning in their songs.. Now, I'm not sure what's going on.
    =]
    {just my opinion..... don't hate me}

18. shiiiinn

shiiiinn Member

i agree that some cant sing and some of their voices sound horrible

19. snoopy8888

snoopy8888 Well-Known Member

most copy other people stuff

20. xemui

xemui Member

some can, but some are just there for their looks