Do You Think Hong Kong Artist Can Sing?

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by EvaxTvxQ, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Alienwork

Alienwork Active Member

new singers +actor/actress = ??
    they no like old singer..they sings until they gain the fame only they will go to act on flims..

2. niniko

niniko Well-Known Member

Well, I agree that some Chinese singers are very good and the rest are just cute. Maybe Hong Kong needs an indie music industry.

3. KT

KT H E L L O K T ♥

yeah, I admit.. the ones back then were much more talented.. but you can't deny the newcomers are starting to get better.. not quite there yet, but still better.. Justin Lo, Khalil Fong, Janice Vidal, Hins Cheung are great. Jason Chan, Siufay, Ken Hung, not bad either. They're not fantastic but give em a chance :p they just need some more experience.

#323 KT, Aug 15, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  4. instantnoodlesXP

instantnoodlesXP Well-Known Member

No one in HK can sing. Period. Newcomers=Crap. Especially for the musically inclined like me, I can tell even if they are like a fraction out of tune. Hacken Lee, Andy Lau, Joey Yung, and many of the older singers are all borderline. If true musicians were to judge them, they are just slightly better than the average singer. Joey is really really borderline. Like...REALLY...she has inconsistent performances. Sometimes she can sing near hacken level, and sometimes she's down at twins level. It's true.

However, pop stars from korea are simply amazing. Super Junior sings 100% in tune live. I picked up only 1 note that was slightly out of tune, and they INSTANTLY blended back into tune with each other. Now that is what I call true musical ability. I like how Korea has singers that have the looks and the skills. Something that you absolutely cannot find in HK.

5. jklee369

jklee369 Well-Known Member

Agree most on them cant sing these days, its all about the old songs when there was real talent.

Some i have no idea how they are a singer e.g. Yumiko, but like what ppl have previously said there are those with some talent. e.g Justin and janice

6. dkmwong

dkmwong Member

+1

THANK YOU

I think the current generation of 'stars' are more idols than anything else.
    Actually that's a lie - HK entertainment industry has for the past few generations taken popular people and passed them off as actors and actresses, singers and such - with mixed results. Kinda like Paris Hilton getting famous for being famous.

7. HiNg

HiNg Well-Known Member

dont listen much 2 chinese music now coz dun think there is any good new singers, i like the chinese old school more with andy lau and jacky cheung who made some good songs

8. yuki86

yuki86 Active Member

Only a few can sing, but compare to the international stars, they are nothing.

9. WaiLik

WaiLik Member

Agree.
    I personally think the older singers are wayyyy better.

10. turbobenx

turbobenx .........

the 70s, 80s and early 90s can sing. The 2000s and up, they're whack, but the ladies r pretty hot. i guess nowadays, it's mostly based on their looks and performances of manipulating the audience.

11. armedretards

armedretards Well-Known Member

I agree with ^^ , nowadays, most of the artists are trying to westernize themselves.

12. hayac520

hayac520 Member

yea only a few can sing, but now a day
    people just sell their looks not the skills.
    a good looking person can easily become a singer without having a good voice

13. timekeeperx

timekeeperx Member

I agree that most of the HK actors/singers nowadays really can't sing, but many of them can. I don't agree with you that singers remain as singers and actors/actresses remain as actors/actresses. If you look back a few decades you can see that actors/actresses were also very talented singers because the entertainment industry linked singing with acting. It can also be traced back to ancient history (ie. chinese opera, and so forth).

14. lotsofmsg

lotsofmsg Well-Known Member

Yeah i agree with this statement 100% the newer artists cannot sing one bit. Listening to 80% of them live is just horrible. They can't even breath properly u can hear them gasping for air that is just horrible. Yeah a agree with a lot of people statements how the singers of the past decades were singers and they are disappearing fast, the singers of this generation cannot sing if their lives depended on it. But i would say it is pretty much the same thing over here in America too. Look at the horrible music that is coming out Britney Spears, Paris Hilton, Tia Tequila all that stuff is just horrible horrible music.

15. nemo88

nemo88 Member

some of them la not sure about now but i like the old singer

16. nahiisho

nahiisho Member

i agree

17. ManicFreak

ManicFreak Well-Known Member

Definitely. Not to mention most HK singers sing one type of song; the low-tone, slow song. If you listen to one, you know what most will sound like. The HK Music Industry is in a sad state. It'll be a long while before there's a Jacky Cheung-type singer appears.

18. turbobenx

turbobenx .........

I think it will be faster if Hk stop wit those western music (u kno, pop, hip hop, r&b etc, etc). The western music is truly influencing HK and asia alot. I think HK should've stayed wit those classic Sam hui, sally yip, george lam, jackie cheung, andy lau, priscilla chan, etc, etc songs. But i also notice that even back in the days, HK uses western music too! Dont get wrong tho, i luv western music. But asians singing those types of music is just not rite....especially wit those rap and hip hop BS....

19. sng26

sng26 Member

Only some! its the same in any country!

20. anfyer

anfyer New Member

I'm thinking the same way as you. There is something in cantonese that prevents me from listening western music style (the worst for me is rap).
    But about "Do You Think Hong Kong Artist Can Sing?" There were always this mistakes in HK show biz, since people is well-known, he "has to" do other stuff : singing->acting, acting->singing... but some of them can do this (I just see that it was already said ^^)