Evolution or Intelligent Design

Discussion in 'Philosophy & Religion' started by 60610, Feb 19, 2006.

1. 60610

60610 Member

What do you guys hold to believe?

2. naruto1314

naruto1314 Well-Known Member

i believe in both

3. drakan

drakan Well-Known Member

evolution

4. lionheart

lionheart Well-Known Member

i believe in darwin(evolution)^_^

5. dayofnight

dayofnight Active Member

hey watever help me get richer .... lol...

6. naruto1314

naruto1314 Well-Known Member

wow
    you have a hard goal
    getting rich is hard -huh

7. Knoctur_nal

Knoctur_nal |Force 10 from Navarone|

a mixture of both..

8. n4mele5s

n4mele5s Well-Known Member

evolution

9. p3ps1c0la

p3ps1c0la Well-Known Member

10. THF20

THF20 is a Chinese

I think we need both somehow to be a mixture

11. Redefined

Redefined New Member

anyone who studies molecular biology, physiology, biochemistry, ANYTHING that has to do with biological processes on a cellular level has got to notice there is something AMAZING going on inside living organisms.

we are made up of cells. cells are made up of amino acids, amino acids are made up of carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, hydrogen and a little sulphur.

that is it!

carbon nitrogen oxygen hydrogen!!! somehow these 4 inert elements could be arranged in a completely ASSKICKING way that can posses life as we know it!!! isnt that amazing!?!?!!!!!

haha evolution, as the very word implys, it is a PROCESS. evolution is a change! it is not the beginning of something, it is a change that is happening in order for an organism to survive to its environment! ofcoz evolution exists, how else do you think bacteria accquire their ability to resist against antibiotics like penicillin? now that, my friends, is evolution before our very eyes.

the art of science is to embrace new ideas so we could expand our horizon. darwin's idea of evolution was based on pure observations and a little imagination.

lets not forget evolution involves a HIGHLY ordered sequence of change that happens inside a cell on numerous levels. its not only mutations that give rise to a change.

blah.

12. jahmez

jahmez Member

I believe a little in both.

The theory of evolution now has gotten so bloated. Original theory of evolution brought up by Darwin was just to explain the similarities and differences between animals. Now it's used to explain everything was created and stuff. The thing about evolution that I don't get is all the controdictions is brings up and just passes by. Scientists are so obsessed with classifying everything and finding order in disorder that they have stretched the theory of evolution so far that it's meaning less now.

13. ninu

ninu Member

I only know of scientific evidences supporting the modified darwinina theory of evolution , Does anybody know of any SCIENTIFIC evidence for intelligent design.

14. leefooleong

leefooleong Well-Known Member

The theory of Evolution is in fact a theory. Meaning only a theory! If man evolved from apes/monkeys, then there shouldn't be any apes/monkeys left. Make sense?

15. donkeyhit

donkeyhit Well-Known Member

intelligent design for sure... i mean come on... wht's the chance of evolution... not saying it aint possible

16. moor_moth

moor_moth Well-Known Member

Intelligent Design.
    I read this book once and it had a intersting story in it:
    lets pretend for a minute that the universe and everything in it are ten coins each numbered from 1 to 10 that are placed in your pocket. The chances that you will get the coin numbered one from your pocket is 1 outta 10 if you put that coin back in your pocket and grab another coin thats numbered 2 directly after grabbing the one numbered 1 is not 1 outta 10 but 1 outta 100 so in order to get all those numbers in the correct order is harder than you think like 1 outta 1000000000 so for the universe, earth etc etc to just magically create itself...the chances are very small.

bacteria developing immunity from penicillin or the way similar birds become different are adaptations and variations (A bird no matter how much it changes can never be a chimpanzee etc.)

anyway thats my thoughts, hoped they made sense.

17. dim8sum

dim8sum ♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪....

Im a science person, so I believe in evolution.

18. dim8sum

dim8sum ♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪....

There was an argument from the intelligent design side that said the mathematical probability of the complexity of life today is impossible.
    However he made one big mistake, he worked backwards. If you work backwards in probabilty it doesnt work. According to the intelligent design mathematics it would be impossible to get a card combinations like royal flushes or straight flushes, yet it happens.

19. shadow Thi3f

shadow Thi3f Well-Known Member

Nothing supports Intelligent design. How can you know for sure that God is actually guiding the process of evolution. Yes evolution is a theory, but it has been backed up by research and experiments. Intelligent design has none of that. And yes man did evolve from apes but it doesnt mean that all apes evolved into man. This is a common misconception about evolution. In evolution species can go into all kinds of directions depending on the environment they are living in and how they adapt to that environment. At one time homo erectus, a early hominid also existed at the same time with other early hominids. Eventually homo erectus evolved into homo sapiens and the other early hominids died out because they couldnt compete with the homo erectus.

Here is another way to look at how some monkey's stayed as monkeys while others became humans. Monkeys started living in trees, but a group of them decided to move into the savannahs. Those who moved to the savannahs lost their tail and ate whatever they found in the savannahs. This changed their diet. The monkeys who stayed living in trees kept their tails and their diet remained the same. Eventually those living in the savannahs began to walk upright. Of course this process takes millions of years and dont forget that the earth is also changing through plate movements. The earth used to be one big continent but it slowly drifted apart to what it is now. This is plays a big part in the variation of species. Did God do all of this??? Yes it is possible, but where is the evidence???

Someone mentioned something about how a bird can never become a monKey. Well that is not what evolution is about. Evolution is about adapting to an environment to ensure survival and reproduce in order to pass on genes to the next generation. A bird can turn into a monkey like creature if a certain group of birds are forced to adapt to a new environment similar to that of a monkey's. This new creature might not be entirely bird and entirely primate, but a mixture of both. This can only occur if there are major changes in the environment and a species has to learn new ways of surviving.

Here is a hypothetical example: Lets use the emu, a flightless bird as an example. What if somehow the continents are connected again due to million years of continental plate drifting. The emu then migrates from Australia to maybe somewhere in Africa to search for more food. The emu's are flightless so they no longer needed their wings. A group of emu's adapted to living in the jungles by developing arms with small fingers to climb on trees to eat the fruits because there werent much food on the ground. The ground living emu's started to die off and became extinct, while the tree dwelling emu's thrived. Now this becomes a bird like creature with feathery arms and fingers to grasp for food. Eventually they also developed tails and better coordination so they can swing from trees to escape from predators. The food chain including predators and preys plays a big role in evolution. Again this process takes millions of years. Im not saying this will happen because evolution is unpredictable but it is a possibility. a bird can never be a chimp but it can develop similar characteristics if the environment permits.

20. moor_moth

moor_moth Well-Known Member

Thats not the point, the point is that none of that happens, evolution also has no substantial basis either.How would you know that homo erectus was a lower form of human? maybe they were jst a different kind of poeple that got wiped out, I mean in the human species itself theres a wide variety of body types etc, for instance alot of white people are hairy, pygmys are small dont make them a lesser form of human and these are ADAPTIONS to a species not a specie to specie change. Humans no matter how long we exist will never have wings and fly.

By the coin story that I read i think it was meaning that the chance of everything on earth happening perfectly by accident is SOOO small. In other words it'd be more possible if the person with the coins in his pockets took every coin and numerically ordered them.

Of course theres no physical proof of a god, but maybe thats not beccause he doesnt exist but because if god did create the universe and everything in it what would be the chances of us being able too understand his complexity and therefore his existence?