Fala Chen's inability to speak

Discussion in 'Heart of Greed II - 溏心風暴之家好月圓' started by TRUEXDREAMS, Aug 13, 2008.

1. julisensei

julisensei Well-Known Member

while a little off-topic, i found out that there is baby sign language, that baby's before they are verbal can be taught gestures to help communicate to their parents. I think it's such an amazing thing. do a little research if you are interested in learning more about it. my friend did that with her baby boy and she usually knew what he wanted. a great thing for communication in the pre-verbal stages of their development.

I've been wondering about her muteness in the story -- birth defect? trauma? didn't know if they would somehow reverse it by the end of the show. she can see and hear, just not speak.

2. joeyfan

joeyfan Well-Known Member

think it's a birth defect

3. zippyw8

zippyw8 Well-Known Member

in the show, her favorite song, sung by ah Lam, does anyone know where i can get it???

4. angel229

angel229 Well-Known Member

I actually prefer her playing the innocent roles instead of those annoying ones like in steps etc and i didnt like her character in catch me now after watching one ep so i didnt bother with the rest of the series.

5. bbes

bbes Incredible

yes i do agree, she does suit the innocent role better cos of her appearance and her acting hasn't been too bad. then again i guess the directors chose her to become mute as her emotions are not well portrayed by her voice.

6. giga

giga Well-Known Member

well i think this is one of fala's best acting roles she's much better when she doesnt talk her voice just doesnt do her justice

7. armedretards

armedretards Well-Known Member

Everytime she has a problem i end up crying. ='(

8. chyshum

chyshum Member

She gets better and better each time.
    This mute character has a motto:
    Be quiet and be pretty, that's what a hot girl like she has to do.
    -bowroflarms

9. KaY_xD

KaY_xD 但願人長久,千里共嬋娟

thnx to her, I'm learning Chinese Sign Language now, and luving it =]

10. rsx

rsx Well-Known Member

Good luck in putting that to use.

11. gawain187

gawain187 Well-Known Member

Such a copycat, anyways i reckon you will probably learn for 3 minutes (三分鐘熱到) and then leave it.

12. rsx

rsx Well-Known Member

And I can't believe y'all got inspired by the use of sign language from this series and actually taking the time to learn it when presumably, nobody that you know are mute.

13. [N]

[N] RATED [ ]

i think this is her best role so far. they made a smart choice making her mute because in Heart of Greed, her character wasn't memorable at all, but her muteness here made her stand out in the outstanding cast, also every emotion let out by her was made more impactful by her disability. the casting choice for her husband sucks though, that guy's such a bitch. he talks like a child, calling his mom "Mama" and also acts if he's on a leash.

14. jaymashimaro

jaymashimaro Active Member

agree, best role so far for her

15. bengstar

bengstar Member

I suspect that Fala must have either spent an awful amount of time picking up the signs (as well as other actors for George's song)... OR she already learn it in America. Either way I admire her effort. I used to work with a group of mutes some time back and we had to write to understand each other as it wasn't as easy to pick up the language.

Also, as people think and speak differently, I found when they wrote, it didn't flow as how we would write, more like translating German into English word for word... Keep up the good work Fala!

16. KaY_xD

KaY_xD 但願人長久,千里共嬋娟

nope, i'd been learning as long as the series has been out.

btw, it's 三分鐘熱, not 到

17. EvilTofu

EvilTofu 吃|✿|0(。◕‿◕。)0|✿|吃

Her image in most if not all her series had been snobby, money hungry and selfish woman. Seeing her playing a complete different role changed the way I thought of her. She can really play these innocent/sweet type characters.

18. joeyfan

joeyfan Well-Known Member

may i know where are you learning it? as in online or going to a centre to learn it? cuz i've been having troubles finding websites that actually teach it.. thx

19. hermidude

hermidude Well-Known Member

I never quite appreciate Fala until MR. She has improved tremendously. Her facial and movements seemed so much more natural and acting as a mute is a real challenge. Go Fala!

20. I liked Fala's character in this.. so many scenes with her in it that made me cry! Esp the bit where she went for a job interview with raymond! her story so sad!!