Food Thread

Discussion in 'The Food Section' started by Maverick, Apr 21, 2007.

1. hiake

hiake Vardøgr of da E.Twin

^ You are evil... trickery comes naturally to you I bet :p

2. xiaojia

xiaojia Well-Known Member

haha.. you all just dunno how to appreciate durians.. they smell.. but taste terrific.. haha. Hey.. its mostly me talking abt s'pore food.. y not show some stuff famous in Canada?

btw.. mav, where you from?

3. hiake

Mav's from UK isn't he? I thought he is.

Not a fan of Durian, I grew OUT of it in fact, I didn't mind it as much (in fact, I used to like it) when I was younger. But not anymore...

Canada? Get the poutine!!! Potato fries + cheese cubes + hot gravy. The best way to get an artery clot.

4. Maverick

Maverick Lord Vader

Problem with this guy is he never try something new. So sometimes you need to use some tricks to help him. Otherwise you can't say that you were in SG, if you haven't tried any thing ... so me 100% -innocent2

5. xiaojia

lol.. you make it sound as though thats the only thing you can get there..

6. Maverick

Maverick Lord Vader

I'm from the country with tulips and cheese ...

Canadian kitchen: none :D
    ... hmmm ... they have something called Slopy Joe ...

7. hiake

^ OH, so same as Resentless? I see. How's the cheese there? I never remember any of their names... but my friend kept half his fridge filled with all kinds of cheese, they are locally made and heavenly.

And... Canada isn't very known for its own cuisine as far as I know, except for some game. Not everyone like game now do they?

ETA> Sloppy Joes are American, just "special" sandwich... not my thing.

8. Maverick

Maverick Lord Vader

Leerdammer, Maaslander, etc all Dutch cheeses ...

... never mentioned from where I come, ... since I don't want to let people think that there is a Dutch invasion going on in PA :D

9. Maverick

Maverick Lord Vader

Oeps!-oopsie And I thought it was a typical Canadian dish ...-shrug

10. hiake

^ Admit it, you guys are leading a Dutch invasion on PA.

Food... I am hungry, I should make a tea. I think I have a mousse and half a pie somewhere in the fridge...

Oh, for food in Canada, the likelihood is that you get a cheap but comparably good and authetic regional cuusine. There are A LOT of great French restaurant and bakery all over the places. Italian and Greek, and of course Chinese and other Asians (except for Thai, never manage to find a super good Thai in Toronto nor Montreal)

11. Maverick

Maverick Lord Vader

Man, just when I like to play Stratego ... I'm unmasked ...

12. xiaojia

lol.. starting to have the feel that all the food in the world is the same..

13. Maverick

Maverick Lord Vader

I guess then you have never tasted the Chinese kitchen. They can create different dishes with the same ingredients ... Just amazing

14. hiake

@XJ: Well not really, just that most places don't have a lot of history to have their OWN cuisine.

Thai and Malaysia and Singapore food are so different although there are a lot of places which sell all of them (in one single store)

And Mav gave a very good example: Chinese cuisine can be very diverse even though they do influence each other and create the so-called fusion Chinese cuisine now...

15. xiaojia

no.. what i meant was you can get french food in canda, singapore.. thai food in singapore, canda.. you get my point.

Although I do agree that they will taste different. like even the same dish can be prepared differently just by comparing m'sia and spore.

mav: no.. I've eaten alot of chinese cuisine.. everyday ;)

16. hiake

@XJ: But that you know consciously that you are not eating local cuisine when you eat Thai in Canada, Chinesein Singapore, French in the States etc...

17. xiaojia

well.. chinese cuisine is pretty much local here in spore.. together with malay and indian food.

18. Maverick

Maverick Lord Vader

Isn't there any fusion between these 3? I see that some master chefs are experimenting.

19. wind2000

wind2000 Self Schemata

20. wind2000

wind2000 Self Schemata

There's a pretty neat Thai fast food in LeFaubourg food court.