For HORROR fans - List your top 10 favs.!

Discussion in 'Hollywood Entertainment' started by BabyRain, Apr 24, 2007.

1. hiake

hiake Vardøgr of da E.Twin

It has something to do with the meaning behind the "ghost", the Hollywood version of ghost is aggressive (masculine trait) while the Japanese version of ghost is very... well, let's just say it's passive (they usually don't propagate on themselves, it's always the victim getting themselves into trouble in the first place) which is a relatively feminine trait.

2. twelvedeck

twelvedeck Member

my 10
    - The Evil Dead
    - The Thing
    - Saw
    - Poltergeist
    - Exorcist
    - Misery
    - Night Of The Living Dead
    - Dawn Of The Dead
    - Cannibal Ferox
    - The Sixth Sense

and 11 (not really a movie) Faces of Death

3. Taxloss

Taxloss Stripper Vicar

Misery! I saw the film first and read the book some while afterwards and I think the book offered an even more tense story. But I personally think it would fit in the category of thrillers.

Kathy Bates did an excellent job as the crazy fan in the film though.

4. BabyRain

BabyRain Doppelgänger of da E.Twin

Ya i certainly remember Misery but I was thinking it more of a drama thriller than horror film, that's why i didn't list it here.

5. hiake

But Misery was scary... not the ghost type but... it's more chill down the spine type.

6. BabyRain

I just remembered one which wasn't half bad but i am not sure if anyone has seen it...
    The Kiss (1988)
    It's about evil and black magic.

[​IMG]

7. Loreen66

Loreen66 Well-Known Member

^I remember that movie. It was o.k, not scary, but a little chilling about the whole kissing thing XD.

Not a movie, but I love the Boyond Belief show. Some of the stuff in there is kinda chilling. Like the Napoleon chair and the boogie man one.

8. underemployed

underemployed Member

frankly american horror doesnt even come close to Korean or Japenese except Omen and Exorcist whci were GRT ..
    but here would be my List ( in no particular order)
    Audition
    Suicide Club
    Tale of two sisters
    Doll Master
    Ju-On
    One Missed Call
    Omen
    Exorcist
    Untold Story I

9. BabyRain

Thanks for listing. Hope more horror fans will submit their lists here so we can have sort of a collection of horror titles to refer to... :)

I have yet to watch all of the Asian titles u listed except for Tale of Two Sisters & Ju-On. I can't remember if i have watched One Missed Call.
    I thought Tale of Two Sisters was rather boring, i did not finish the 2nd CD... hehe.

10. Loreen66

Loreen66 Well-Known Member

More list for everyone incase cha want more titles so you can watch
    Bunshinsaba (Quija Board/witch board- Korean)
    Red shoes (korean)
    Tomie (Japan)
    Ghost Game (thai)
    Uzumaki (japan)
    Kairo (japan american ver =pulse)
    Dumplings: Three Extremes (HK)
    Nightmare (korean)
    Phone (korean)
    Tell me something (korean - not actually a scary movie, more of solve the crime thing)
    Infection (japan aka kasen)
    The Ghost of Mae Nak (thailand)

11. hiake

I loved the manga of Uzumaki (by Junji Ito) it was spectacular... The film adaptation is awesome too :D

I am not very into Kairo (nor Pulse) even though I liked the idea of consumption by loneliness and apathy. Something just don't quite click for that film @_@b

Dumplings is great (original story by Lilian Lee), loved the short story LONG before the film come out, Miriam Yeung is good at it -devil

12. BabyRain

Dumplings? That definitely didn't sound like a horror title to me :D
    Three extremes? Is it the movie with three short stories in it and Leon Lai starring in one of them? That was great.

13. Taxloss

Taxloss Stripper Vicar

Audition, is a good one when it comes to twisted things! :)

Yeah, Tale of Two Sisters started intriguing but it dragged on and on.

Yep, but there is Three Extremes and Three Extremes ||, the one starring Leon Lai is the version made in 2002. Dumplings is the 2nd version made in 2004.
    Off both films, I like the HK segments the best. (i.e. 'Memories' with Leon Lai and 'Dumplings' with Miriam Cheung.)

BTW, babyrain, you really should try to see 'Dumplings' (long version, the version in Three Extremes is shorter)...otherwise you miss some jokes lot of the users on this board are regulary referring to! ;)

14. BabyRain

Is Dumplings a horror movie?
    Hmm not sure how I could find it... Hope there's a DDL here :D

15. BabyRain

Interview with the Vampire :D

16. hiake

^ Totally not a horror film, it's more like drama... I love how the hair of Claudia (Kristen Dunst) grew right back into the impeccable ringlets just after she cut it in a fit.

I love the mood of the film. Though it isn't quite cut it as horror by my book :p It's a drama on supernatural beings :D

17. Taxloss

Taxloss Stripper Vicar

Heheh, a few years ago I would have added Interview With A Vampire on my horror list too, but in the meanwhile I've seen so much REAL horror stuff...

And I know I've seen quite a lot of those cult stuff (both western and Asian) but I never remember their names. -mellow

18. Knoctur_nal

Knoctur_nal |Force 10 from Navarone|

decent flick..like hike said..more story based...

19. hiake

I would add it to my top 10 classic supernatural flicks... though it doesn't quite cut the "scary" part of a proper horror film @_@b

@Knoc: It's hiake, not hike >_<b

20. Knoctur_nal

Knoctur_nal |Force 10 from Navarone|

ha...i shall refer to thee as hike!..until u hit vip..then i'll consider ur rea user name.
    n interview with a vamp..more like a im lazy...crap its on tv and i lost the remote...i might as well watch it..