Have you ever been mistaken as Japanese instead of Chinese?

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by joceyz, Jan 20, 2007.

1. shinigami123

shinigami123 Member

lol this sometimes happens to me and they always assume your from china at first glance

2. bobbycuzin

bobbycuzin Member

japanese is a default for me, it's hard for people to tell when you don't have any conspicuous facial features of either nationality

3. go999

go999 Member

I have been mistaken for being japanese a few times. I guess its just hard to tell your ethnicity at first glance.

4. Butso

Butso Member

ive had Viet and Cambodian lots cos im very tanned HK =)

5. Viety Cent

Viety Cent Member

Skin Color has nothing to do with a ethnic appearance

FYI Viets skin color vary from light to medium (rosy and peachy) to dark skin

Facial Features and Bone structure such as cheek bone, nose bridge, eyes and lips are more important when I look at people

btw All Chinese Iv met have various looks

#185 Viety Cent, Nov 3, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2007
  6. ofey

ofey Active Member

Most often my "other half" and me are mistaken for Koreans. Especially her. She's Chinese but she looks VERY VERY Korean.

7. itsuniquexp

itsuniquexp Member

yeah i agree with dim sum, co-sign! :p

8. sobe

sobe Member

At the place I work, we're all the same. :p

9. luvergal

luvergal Member

ya once when i go to japan ppl used to think tht im japanese n speak to me in japanese which im not really undertstand all of the language
    make me embrassed

10. tiffer858

tiffer858 Well-Known Member

i am often mistaken as japenese and once even filipino is it so hard to tell the difference

11. megus729

megus729 Member

I've been mistaken by Japanese people as being Japanese and Korean people as being Korean...LOL!

12. Lol. People think I'm a Korean. I'm like. wellll.. I'm Chinese XD. When i ask my friends if i look like a Japanese. They say only my hair does. XDD

13. freddybasset

freddybasset Active Member

Westerners are sooo ignorant they dont know the difference between Jap, Chinese, korean, viet... they always say "same difference"

14. MLAM

MLAM Well-Known Member

I've been mistaken for all forms of oriental

Japanese
    Korean
    Chinese (which I am)
    Malaysian

Oddly enough, no one seems to know "Vietnam" in my area.

15. XDTP

XDTP Well-Known Member

I can try to use stereotypes to differentiate people... to me it works mostly for asians. Its like the same thing with hispanics. I know theres a difference between a Cuban and Mexican...but I can't see the difference.

16. cher

cher New Member

no lol but mistaken being korean lol

17. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

I've been mistaken for Japanese, Viet, Korean, Filipino, Malaysian, Samoan, Thai, Hawaiian; in China around the Guang Zhou area, I've been taken for a northerner (because I'm tall I guess), and in New York, I've been taken for, get this:... Italian. LOL... My guess is, people see what they want to believe.

Ralph

#197 ralphrepo, Feb 18, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2008
  18. chanyeehon

chanyeehon Member

Japaneses, Korean, Vietnamese, Philippine
    i am tanned

19. belinda364

belinda364 Member

Some people are oblivious to the fact that Asian is not really a race, but an umbrella term used to describe a whole clump of ethnicities. -_-. I wouldn't take it personally though. It also depends on where in the world you are, cause people in different countries have different views of what an Asian person is. If you go to United Kingdom and tell them you're Asian, they would assume that you are Indian.

20. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I follow, you could say the same above Whites and Blacks. Phylogenetically speaking, there are only three races of humans; Mongoloid, Caucasoid, and Negroid. So Asian (aka Mongoloid) IS really considered a race. Many people mistakenly consider and assign their cultural heritage, nationality, or ethnicity to that category.

Ralph