Have you ever been mistaken as Japanese instead of Chinese?

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by joceyz, Jan 20, 2007.

1. SkyHigh123

SkyHigh123 Well-Known Member

im chinese and i was mistaken as a viet one time because the guy was speaking viet to me and i had no clue what he was staying. so i was like huh?

2. k3stone

k3stone Member

Yes, I've been called Jap, Korean, Mexican, Aboriginal?!!! White people can be so ignorant. But Asians can be ignorant too. Being an Asian, I thought I knew how to differentiate between Japanese, Chinese and Korean. And my strike rate has been historically pretty good. So there was this chick at Uni who I thought was Japanese. Her name was Masuma and she had highlights in her hair. I also saw her brother and he looked Jap too. I got to know her pretty well and I kept thinking she was Jap all that time, just heaps Westernized, no accent, can't speak Jap, not interested in ANIME?!!! But one day I saw her speaking with a woman wearing a religious head scarfe. I asked her who the woman was and she said, "My mum". So I thought, oh so her mum's a Japanese Muslim. Then my brain started to tick.
    "You're not Japanese, aren't you?" I asked her.
    "No," she replied. "When did I ever say I was Japanese?"
    "So where are you from?"
    "Guess."
    "Afghanistan?" I said jokingly.
    "Yes. We're from Afghanistan. You're the first person to get it at one go." I thought she was pulling my leg. But she was from Afghanistan. Her name wasn't Masuma but Masooma and her hair wasn't highlighted but natural. I thought it was pretty cool that some Afghans can look Jap. Just goes to show that Asians, well this Asian anyway, can be just as ignorant on this matter.

3. bbes

bbes Incredible

lol thats hilarious, i can't believe some ppl thought u were mexican, are u rele dark then?

4. ohiyoo

ohiyoo Member

well it depends which country you are in. If you were on holidays in thailand then the locals would think you are thai and start talking to you in thai. If you are in japan it's the same. In HK, they think you are a local.

5. auta

auta Well-Known Member

i get told that i look half something, something they cant point their finger on. they can tell that im chink (which i am fully actually) but with something else. =p

i myself think i look full chink. even reletives think i have abit of white appearence in me =p

6. Gurly

Gurly Active Member

Why are so many peepz asking me if i'm a japanese?!?! :S And also some japanese peepz think that i'm a japanse... :S WEIRD!!!

7. MunMun

MunMun Well-Known Member

its just the same as us thinking all white people are them same or all brown people are indians and all black people are from africa

8. Vongy

Vongy Active Member

I find that most non-asian people cant really distinguish between us oriental asians, whereas most asians can

9. dmogg29

dmogg29 Active Member

Nope, the opposite would happen where I live haha.

10. I have and i hated it. they said because of how i looked. only like two people were like "are you chinese?" well maybe because i'm in a school where there's full of koreans/Japanese who knows :/

11. little_toe

little_toe Member

More the other way around.

12. hiromagi

hiromagi Guest

yep, but only by non-asians

13. zita3000

zita3000 Active Member

i'm 100% chinese
    and i've been gotten mistaken as japanese and vietmanese.
    non-asians just sees us asians as all the same. ><

14. auta

auta Well-Known Member

i get misunderstood as half SOMETHING and chinese >.>

15. mr_evolution

mr_evolution ( • )( •ԅ(ˆ⌣ˆԅ)

Haha...yeah, either that or we are all Chinese

16. rowdy331

rowdy331 Active Member

alot of people are ignorant in this world because they dont have education or just dont have the interest in learning.

17. xunx

xunx Well-Known Member

i think this happen very frequently u know, like people mistake me for look like korean, and japanese, also cambodian if i got tan reall dark haha

18. lala_bel_tempo

lala_bel_tempo Well-Known Member

yes it happened to me, a Chinese girl asked if i was Japaneses.

i said no and her eyes went O_O

19. spikeeleon

spikeeleon New Member

i always been recongnised as chinese XDD
    but recently because i grew my hair longer then usual and had red highlights added, people keep asking me if im japanese =.=" i suppose its a compliment cos i love all things japanese but me 100% chinese :D

20. namelessl3oy

namelessl3oy Member

cuz ppl think all asian ppl are of the same ethnicity... if u live in a city that has more chinese than japanese they woudl think ur chinse if u were japanese...