Have you ever been mistaken as Japanese instead of Chinese?

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by joceyz, Jan 20, 2007.

1. wellllll i have been mistaken for japanese, korean, vietnamese, and some people even speak to me in mandarin which i don't understand......

2. Flookeet

Flookeet Member

i have the same problem. Especially in mandarin.. which i really dont understand :(

3. kainee

kainee Member

Um... only by ignorant white people. Usually, the Asian people I meet don't care as much about my ethnicity or else, if they care, it's easy enough to infer. It's kinda ironic that the Asianophiles who care the most about crap like this don't know enough to warrant their particular obsession.

4. wysandman

wysandman Well-Known Member

never happened to me..... but to ppl who mistaken you as another Asian race do you get offended or take it as a compliment?
    Some of the ppl replies here sounds like other ppl should know your ethnicity automatically or they are idiots for not knowing.
    hell even i get confused if asians are chinese , japanese, korean, vietnamese...etc.

5. c00lsnoopy

c00lsnoopy Active Member

Never happened to me. I got mostly mistaken for vietnamese since i speak french so fluently.

6. Natsu

Natsu Well-Known Member

plenty - Korean, Chinese, Japanese - people always think im one of those.

in fact, everytime im out in London or when I see an Asian, my friends always ask, sooo is she Chinese, Japanese etc??

7. Adidas

Adidas Well-Known Member

They don't exactly 'assume' we're Jap; it's just that they're so ignorant when it comes to Asians.

Haha, joking. In fact, I have been mistake as Japanese instead of Chinese, and it frustrates me so much.

8. akz

akz New Member

I think it might be the other way around, where im from they always ask my korean friend if hes chinese lol not much Japanese people here..

9. chinese_kid

chinese_kid Active Member

it was only last month that i went into a bookstore and the woman at the till thought i was japanese. had to tell her in the end that i was chinese lol

10. yuki86

yuki86 Active Member

I think many non-Asian people think all Asians look the same.

11. XDTP

XDTP Well-Known Member

i've been called japanese before...Chinese to be specific.

12. Katibear

Katibear Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if you'd consider it the same, and I'd understand how frustrating it is to be mistaken, and for people to assume. I don't want to hurt anyones feelings or offend anyone! But can you guys tell french, german, dutch british apart? i'm not sure if it's non-asians being ignorant though, i think maybe its just because non-asians aren't used to being surrounded by asians, see i can tell thai people apart from most, because i have thai in my family - i dunno, just my thoughts :p

but yeah although not the same i can understand why you get angry, i get mistaken for being english all the time o.0 that pisses me off!

13. gawain187

gawain187 Well-Known Member

Its because we have been labelled/stereotyped with thin eyes

14. anti

anti Well-Known Member

i have been mistake for.. korean, japanese, spanish, white >.<

15. bolay

bolay Member

I think we pretty much look at the same....only a slight difference

16. d15z1sux

d15z1sux Well-Known Member

ive been mistaken for japanese, korean and vietnamese. to non asians we look the same because they haven't learnt how to distinguish different asian races through their accents and things about their appearance such as facial features and their clothing.

17. Wasabi86

Wasabi86 Well-Known Member

mistakenly called korean almost everyday... and funny thing is when i correct them that i am Chinese they dont believe it and still reckon im korean -sweat

18. XtasyX

XtasyX Member

Maybe because there's like 1% Japs in Toronto, i've been mistaken for Viet and Korean...and philipino when i came back from cuba lol
    ________
    HERBAL VAPORIZER FORUM

#258 XtasyX, Oct 9, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  19. xxricemanxx

xxricemanxx Member

nope, not japanese but maybe sometimes korean

20. jacky321

jacky321 Member

some of them talk mandarin to me and some japanese which i dont get but only understand wee bit of mandarin so i can be able to learn more :D