Have you ever been mistaken as Japanese instead of Chinese?

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by joceyz, Jan 20, 2007.

1. jallix

jallix Member

i lied a couple of time of beeing a japanese. the europeans treat the japanese much better. i m very lucky until now as no european i met could speak japanese.

2. snoopy8888

snoopy8888 Well-Known Member

in the old days maybe but not now

3. VR3

VR3 Member

Yea...

A couple times !

:nuts:

4. sng26

sng26 Member

YES! by some old american guy who accused me of bombing his friends at pearl harbour! i tried to tell him i was chinese but....

5. khongming

khongming Member

haha, i've been mistaken as a Japanese by a Japanese.

6. Musicupload

Musicupload Member

People have thought that i'm japanese before!!! ergh. and some thought i was korean.

7. wallacec

wallacec Active Member

I am glad that no 1 ask me if I am a Jap or not. I am Chinese and I look Chinese.

8. emawlee28

emawlee28 Well-Known Member

u no how u mistake an indian for another indian i guess thats how it is for us asians all asians look alike well most of them , nd iguess that person is trying to be smart, or that person jus think u look japp

9. armedretards

armedretards Well-Known Member

I was at subways telling him waht i want on my sandwich and all of a sudden he asks if i was japanese o.0

10. tofuman617

tofuman617 New Member

This happened to me once in a japanese resturant!!

11. Whenever I go to another Asian country, they assume I'm one of them (Korea, Japan, Taiwan, China)--when I'm really a mix of a bunch of stuff. ahahahaha.

12. jpeung

jpeung Active Member

all the time...-_-

13. matethemouse

matethemouse Well-Known Member

was home (China) two-three years ago and many though I was a "half-breed". They said it was because my (big) nose and chinese people don't have big noses

14. ktl

ktl Member

me, no... my friend yes.. I've been mistaken for korean often..

15. i'm taiwanese, but have worked in several different japanese restaurants and people assume that i'm japanese all the time. although i agree with others that say non-asians have a hard time distinguishing the different asian ethnicities.

16. karsun118

karsun118 Well-Known Member

I've been mistaken for Japanese, but mostly Korean, although I don't look at all Korean or Japanese.

I'd agree that non-Asians have a hard time distinguishing but then again I can't distinguish European ethnicity at all unless they talk to me and then maybe I can narrow it down.

17. bobbylee

bobbylee Well-Known Member

don't get this problem, cos ppl normally think if ur asian then ur chinese regardless
    its proven that it is easier to ditinguish two ppl from ur own race than two ppl that arent

18. I agree with bobbylee. Might I add that the number of Chinese people around the world is pretty massive, so assuming that someone's at least part-chinese is the first safe assumption to make. That is of course unless the involved person is walking around in another country... like Japan or Vietnam.

As for myself, I rarely get mistaken as Japanese instead of Chinese. Mainly because of the fact that every third sentence I say involves Cantonese of some sort, and because I look pretty different from the general expectation of what Japanese men should look like. =[

19. lala_bel_tempo

lala_bel_tempo Well-Known Member

yeah i been mistake as Korean several times. I don't know how people think so, i even asked a girl who said that, her response was the skin.

20. willian921

willian921 New Member

me too people confused that i am japanese when i am chinese. seem like we look like japanese more than chinese
    :)