Have you ever been mistaken as Japanese instead of Chinese?

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by joceyz, Jan 20, 2007.

1. a.dee.das

a.dee.das Member

Lol, that hasn't happened before, but that's probably because 95% of the people here are asian.

2. krazykrystal

krazykrystal Member

Yeah, all the time...either Japanese or mixed even though I'm 100% Chinese =/

3. sephiroth123

sephiroth123 Member

yea people love to say konichiwa first then if u say u r not japanese then they will say ni hao...

4. pxknight555

pxknight555 Member

omg...everyone knew i was Chinese but then my friends started a joke and now everyone calls me jap...

5. awong04

awong04 Well-Known Member

never happened to me before

6. its seems only non asian people assume we are something else but i pay no mind to it

7. hiake

hiake Vardøgr of da E.Twin

Just been mistaken to be a Japanese by another Chinese today. I always wonder why people ask about this kind of things to semi-strangers (e.g.: classmates)
    Weird.

8. i just got mistaken as a Japanese in HK today...

9. magmags

magmags Well-Known Member

happens to me all the time... people keeps saying konnichiwa to me all the time!

10. smokedhen

smokedhen Well-Known Member

It's not a big deal. You can't deny that sometimes you can mistaken someone else's ethnicity

11. jnetcube5

jnetcube5 Well-Known Member

caucasians think asians all look the same.

12. turbobenx

turbobenx .........

Look, in the end of this pointless conversation, it all comes out to:

WE ALL LOOK ALIKE!

13. cakl

cakl Member

I think i look too chinese ^^

but i have mistaken others XD

14. mindyourself

mindyourself Member

i have been mistaken for japanese a number of times. i think it was the hair style that i have..if not i have no idea where they get it from...

15. When i was staying at a Halls of Residence while at a British uni, i had practically every japanese student staying there coming up and speaking to me in Jap :S

And yet, the Brits themselves thought I was an american born korean :S :S

Both assumptions which are so off...[i'm pure chinese]

Isn't it the same thing the other way round...where we asians generally [ok, maybe just me] can't tell the whites apart? Like whether they are polish, german, finnish, french etc?

16. digdug

digdug Member

yes by Japanese people no less not sure there was a hidden msg to that but oh well

17. jnetcube5

jnetcube5 Well-Known Member

very very rarely.

18. melroseddl1

melroseddl1 Well-Known Member

All the time. all my friends always think i'm cinese untill i look at them to the eye and then they remember i was chinese. i think american asume all asains are japanese. maybe its somethign else, i don''t know. All i know is that i get mad about people calling me japanese, when i'm chinese. i have a friend that is viet, and peoppel think she is chinese. she also gets mad too.

19. toots44

toots44 Member

yup at a bus stop but then she was going to an interview with a japanese boss, think she was hoping i was rather than assuming lol

20. triky

triky Member

I've been mistaken for being Filipino, Japanese and Korean before but I don't think its that big of a deal nor do I think the people who think of me as a different nationality are idiots. Lets put it this way, I bet none of you guys can tell the difference between a Canadian, American, French, German, etc with 100% accuracy so why expect others to know yours.