Have you ever been mistaken as Japanese instead of Chinese?

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by joceyz, Jan 20, 2007.

1. cpfwb

cpfwb Member

only during the world cup..around that time...im usually korean to everyone...lol

2. ckhar

ckhar Well-Known Member

could you prove it !!

3. thanx4nothin

thanx4nothin Active Member

yea. i've gotten japanese and korean before. and also viet [no clue how....]
    but all by non-asian people. haha. only asians can distinguish the differences

4. aznforever316

aznforever316 Member

More people have asked me whether i was Korean more than Chinese. Even Chinese people ask me first whether i was Korean. It's quite interesting.

5. Paranoidandroid

Paranoidandroid Well-Known Member

When I was in Tokyo, some girl asked me for directions. I just blankly stared at her until she walked away.

6. piecesofeight

piecesofeight Member

yeah! in taiwan, people always say that my chinese accent is a little off so they just assume im japanese!

7. dhunter

dhunter Well-Known Member

I think some girls dress soo much like a jp girl at times it's hard to tell..
    Koreans stand out I find

8. xmichelly

xmichelly Well-Known Member

I've been mistaken for Korean a lot of times, maybe Japanese once or twice. It's probably because some people just think Asian and say the first thing that comes to mind.

9. Yong-Shi

Yong-Shi Well-Known Member

I went to Hawaii before, and Hawaii has a lot of Japanese people/tourists. So while my family and I were visiting, we were going up in an elevator to our hotel room and there was a lady who came in and starting speaking to my dad in Japanese, haha. Of course, he told her in English that he didn't understand and she had to repeat herself in English, hehe.

10. FishieExP

FishieExP Well-Known Member

i get asked for being jap korean and chinese
    i think its becuz non-asian ppl look at asian ppl differently as we look at them like the skin eyes hair hieght (dunno how to spell)

11. Aoes

Aoes Well-Known Member

I'm supposedly Korean to my east asian peers... and Chinese to everyone outside of asian descent...

12. babybaby

babybaby Member

some people think i'm all sorts of nationality. Japanese, china chinese, and korean. just don't understand maybe because of the way I dress.

13. linderrfulxP

linderrfulxP Well-Known Member

Haha, yeah I was mistaken to be Japanese and I got REALLY pissed off because it was a TOTAL stranger. T_T

I was just walking home from school and just a few minutes away from my building, this Mexican worker guy walked passed me and smiled while saying "Konnichiwa" and then I just kept walking. Boy was I pissed. -_____-

14. FishieExP

FishieExP Well-Known Member

i hate also wen ppl try to make fun of u saying konnichiwa

15. someasianguy

someasianguy Member

i've been mistaken as japanese, korean, vietnamese, cambodian, and strangely enough, filipino.

16. jogii

jogii Member

I've been mistaken as Japanese by lots of people. When i first started high school, a tall senior guy who was caucasian said "Konnichiwa!" to me and smiled. I think he was trying to be friendly, but i laughed and told him that i am Chinese and he got embarassed and apologized but it really isn't a big deal to me, if an incident like that happens.

17. chheng

chheng New Member

hahaha well a korean girl thought i was korean...what a dumbass

18. xng

xng Member

I was mistaken as japanese in tokyo airport while in transit.

19. simonxchu

simonxchu Member

i been called korean

20. mormortea

mormortea Member

because my skin is pale, so a lot of people think i am jap or korean instead of chinese. haha dat's funny