How are Japanese schools?

Discussion in 'Japanese Chat' started by Terran910, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Terran910

Terran910 Member

I've been watchin a lot of anime and have been wondering how japanese schools really are. Like school all year i think thats true, but school like all day? people hang out on roofs, they can leave school for lunch, etc

2. XDTP

XDTP Well-Known Member

high suicide rates.

3. anime and real life are two very different things.

4. Terran910

Terran910 Member

very true

5. hiake

hiake Vardøgr of da E.Twin

What do you mean by school all day? Does 9-4 counts as "all day"? Many other places have that kind of full day school too...

As for hanging out on the roof, it's kind of like the thing to do when you skip class since teens in uniforms will be stopped and asked a lot of questions if they wander around during school hours in the shopping district (especially true in towns)

May be I am weird, but what's so special about leaving school for lunch? Most places have policy against students doing it when they are too young (junior high school), but once you hit senior high school, you are free to do whatever.

6. woffiman1

woffiman1 New Member

I guess the uniform can give you away. For once, I'm glad my school doesn't have uniforms! xD
    (free to skip whenever)

7. XDTP

XDTP Well-Known Member

why are they dressed like sailors anyways?

8. bbes

bbes Incredible

i guess its their school uniform. tradition perhaps.

9. Terran910

Terran910 Member

really interesting

10. LLGenRaznLL

LLGenRaznLL Member

i like their school uniforms, looks really cool. The world is not really exposed to japanese culture although it is one of the well developed asian countries. I know so lil about it, except for watching tokyo drift fast and furious did i see site in japan, i'd like very much to visit japan when i have the money.

11. Miniaibon

Miniaibon Member

well in anime, they don't really show you any of the actual classes, etc. a better view of what "real" japanese schools are like would be gaijinsmash (the blog) since he's a teacher. I assure you, though, its kind of like your typical asian school environment - complete with the uniforms, the 10 minute long breaks, etc.

12. bbes

bbes Incredible

ye wouldn't be surprised. why would it be much different to schools in other countries.

13. turbobenx

turbobenx .........

aawww......i wanna should've moved to japan back in the days. i wanna see girls in their skirt uniforms every day and all day.

14. lara_mey

lara_mey Well-Known Member

dont know how are schools in japan because i've never been in japan but watching dramas and anime i like some uniforms, schools are big and i think the study is really hard like in others asian schools

15. according to anime and drama they have special school cloths for delinquents (which looks cool) and also recommend blond elvis quiffs. >.<

16. GreenTeaCola

GreenTeaCola Active Member

Hmm...well the Sailor Uniforms usually mean you're in middle school and then they start changing but I'm not sure how you would differentiate between the High School girl Uniforms. I'm pretty sure Google would be a great help to this question! Oh and I watched His and Her Circumstances once (the sub) along time ago and they had at the end of the show a person recording a real Japanese school. There's one school they used in Digimon I think and it's an actual school in real life too...like they draw it out or something for the animation...not sure if I'm correct on that one. but I only know how they look like...not the way the school's are run there or anything. Heard it's pretty strict.

17. jixji

jixji New Member

They have school and an after-school academy/program they go to. I agree.. anime doesn't show you real life Japan.

18. KaY_xD

KaY_xD 但願人長久,千里共嬋娟

if u lived in HK or Mainland, so much like those kinda school.

19. sars4tw

sars4tw Well-Known Member

Schools in Asia in general is TOUGH! It is ten times rougher than north America. In kindergarten they have to learn the times table by heart. By the end of grade 6, they have to finish up learning what we learn in grade 10 (algebra). Also, half the time it is self study. Teacher in Asia are very realistic. If you have potential, they will nourish you. If you are a dumb dumb, they will find every single possible way of dropping you out of school. Unlike here, if you are a dumb dumb, we got 'special' programs to help you. School in Asia is harsh.

20. Shini_D

Shini_D Well-Known Member

hahaha in UK, every student is "equal" lol, so dumb dumbs have extra help and extra time in exams...
    But Jap schools...it's a school....teacher, students, uniform, lessons...what's so special...¬_¬