How do you get started with learning to cook?

Discussion in 'The Food Section' started by uryu, Feb 5, 2008.

1. bbes

bbes Incredible

ye cook shows are prob one of the most useful ways to learn how to cook, as its always much easier if u see then doing it and its much easier to follow it rather than reading descriptions.

2. cadeline

cadeline Well-Known Member

It's also about trial and error. Never be afraid to give it another go if you don't succeed. I think tht works for me.

3. KaY_xD

KaY_xD 但願人長久,千里共嬋娟

that works too, it's just im that kinda person that doesn't want to waste food. XDDD

4. rNb99

rNb99 Well-Known Member

i started learning how to cook at a pretty early age...when i was still in high school because my parents are not around since they have to work so that's why i need to learn. i think it's pretty good in a way and i don't mind cooking since i can cook whatever i feel like eating =]

#24 rNb99, Mar 7, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  5. ProjectD

ProjectD VIP yay :]

i started with instant noodles xD and worked my way from there

6. beelui

beelui Member

when i moved from my parents. i had to choose between fast food or learn how to cook

7. d15z1sux

d15z1sux Well-Known Member

i always watched my mum cook when i was young. then cook a bit when they weren't home for dinner. then when i moved out of home i started cooking heaps and improvising.

8. Phoenix

Phoenix *~Though she be but little, she is fierce~*

i learnt how to cook by helping my parents an grandma cook when i was small...then as i grew up..i'd help prepare during dinner time....eg cookin the rice, frying stuff etc

an now i just watch cooking shows an follow some recipes but do a lil bit of improv to make it easier ^^

an i got my lil recipe book full of chinese soup recipes collected from my mum and grandparents :yes:

9. yeah learn by watching...... and then experiment on your own.... like when you cook for yourself.... that way when you cook for other you will know what to do and what not to do...

10. person

person Well-Known Member

I've always been interested in cooking cause my dad is a cook. Then took cooking class in grade 10 and 12, so started making more stuff from there. I bake more often than cook.

11. miml

miml New Member

i wanna learn how to cook as i have no girlfriend

12. miml

miml New Member

always over cooked food :(

13. miszcoffee183

miszcoffee183 Member

I learned how to cook when my friend cook for me. o_O..

14. ewize1

ewize1 Active Member

start by learning to cook my favourite food

15. gawain187

gawain187 Well-Known Member

The best way to cook is to get physical and experiment with different sorts of ingredients. Thats how many of the great cooks come up with all those nice dishes.

16. xyinniex

xyinniex Active Member

My mum is an amazing cook, as is my dad. Its in the genes. XD Joke
    No, my mum forced me to watch her cook when i was younger,and i love cooking tv shows and cooking it myself, its fun.

I was very popular in Home economics, My food never left the kitchen, everyone nabbed them all before i had a chance to give it to my friends who didn't take that subject.

So cooking lessons at school?

17. bobbylee

bobbylee Well-Known Member

i think the best way is to go on the net and find a recipe, then make it with a friend who knows a bit bout cooking.

or just go help ur parents cook and just say can i try and get them to tell u wat to do but they dont do the work, u do

18. Natsu

Natsu Well-Known Member

when i was 14 and had to look after my sister alone whilst my mum went to Hong Kong to attend my uncle's wedding ~ mum gave me instructions and had to follow them, but i occassionally ask my mum and watch how she cooks if i wanted to learn new dishes ~ my cooking is good enough for my own taste and i often cook for the family and i have a few times cooked for friends for a paty when i was in college and cooked for flatmates in university ~~

19. ghostsxy

ghostsxy Well-Known Member

i just look at recipes on the internet and i usually find what i want to eat and cook it

20. salapit

salapit Member

I get start to learn cook at school because my father had use to had a restaurant a few years ago.
    And after I learn for another thing I went to school for learn to cook. Because I also like to do it and of course I like to eat too. I've studied for french kitchen. I wish I can studied for traditional chinese food also in the future. Actually I like to learn every kind of dishes because I'm very curious to know every dishes from other countries.