How do you make the best Nuc Mum (Fish Sauce ? )

Discussion in 'The Food Section' started by Myolie88, Nov 30, 2005.

1. x213

x213 Member

I can't stell the smell of nuc mum. Or any other seafood ... x_x

2. taichi_masta

taichi_masta Well-Known Member

are you saying that yellowish sauce is made from fish? That's odd, my vegan friend loves it!

3. MashimaroOo

MashimaroOo Member

nuoc mam is easy to make just add sugar, garlic, chili, lemon, fish sauce and some water

4. splbrt0303

splbrt0303 Member

That's an expensive way to learn. But i guess that's how you learn to make the best nuoc num.

5. singlung2099

singlung2099 Well-Known Member

can't believe you're having trouble making such an easy sauce. just make it however you want and modify to taste. I like it spicey and sour with a slight sweetnest. The best Sauce was at my mums friends resturant in Vietnam near the beach man we stuffed ourselves with seafood when I was there a couple of years ago

6. thienvy2001

thienvy2001 Member

It's called "nước mắm" not "nuc mum"
    I'm from the place where has the best of fish sauce

7. himyfamily

himyfamily Member

the original nuoc mam are difficult to make but to mix nuoc mam with other ingredient is easy. There are many way to mix it depend on ur taste

8. maymay

maymay Member

yeh i love fish sauce with rice yum yum

9. rickoon

rickoon Well-Known Member

* 1/4 cup water or fresh coconut juice
    * 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
    * 1 teaspoon sugar
    * 1 red chili, seeded, finely chopped
    * 2 cloves garlic, crushed
    * 1 tablespoon lime juice
    * 2 tablespoon fish sauce

Boil water or coconut juice with vinegar and sugar; allow to cool. Combine chili, garlic, and lime juice, and add to the coconut mixture. Stir in the fish sauce.

Try adding shredded radish and carrot pickles as a variation on nuoc mam cham.

10. sasuke123456

sasuke123456 Member

fish sauce, warm water, lemon, msg, sugar, garlic & chilli add to taste as everyone likes their sauces different

11. Darkii

Darkii Member

Yep those are the ingredients, just mix it to your taste some like it more salty or sweet so depends. You can eat it with a variety of things such as vemicelli rice noodles and spring rolls, rice paper rolls, rice with different types of meat, salads, basically anything that you like lol

12. puccaluv83

puccaluv83 Active Member

umm.. to me my mom told me get a lemon, fish sause, sugar n then hot water mix them together n some onion too n taste it if u like it ..

13. poopiness

poopiness Member

make it? wow that's hardcore. Just go buy it at the store :D

14. thienvy2001

thienvy2001 Member

Can't make it at home, suppose to have a fatory at least well-repaired.
    If not it doesn't make any sense, don't try it at home.

15. surplusletterbox

surplusletterbox Well-Known Member

Thoerectical answers

Ohhh, I hate those theorectical , impractical answers like:-

Go to Vietnam for the best Nuc Mum,
    Go to Beijing for the best Peking Duck,
    Go to Kyoto for the best Kaiseki,
    Go to England for the best fish and chips
    Go to Italy to eat the best pizza
    Go to Frankfurt to eat the best franfurters....

Why go to ......let's have it here and now, waste of time to even go to the airport, just make it and eat it!

Rather than "GO TO" , just hit the "RETURN" key and get it locally at home! Else you would starve to wait to fly to those places! And also we are moving to be carbon neutral and we should not jet every where!

To make the best Nuc Mum is to carefully balance the ingredients suggested above. Don't let one particular flavour over power another. Taste as you mix. Never buy cheap fish sauce, go for the best sauce as so little is used. We personally buy the brands from Thailand. Sometimes we put mint, coriander, liqorice leaves in it.

By the way, try to use LIME rather than lemon. Even better if it is made with a squeeze of ORGANIC LIME or organic lemon. The factory farmed limes and lemons have sour taste and less natural flavour. Try to squeeze the lime and lemon oils in there too!

16. tdmt

tdmt Well-Known Member

it depends on what kind of food you eat

17. tdmt

tdmt Well-Known Member

each person's taste is different too

18. SangiRiRiee

SangiRiRiee Member

there are not only one way to make Nuc Mum actually. there're many ways and each one of them have their own special taste to it.

19. once again... its nuoc mam. not nuc mum.

the easiest way to make fish sauce is to buy it premade in a bottle at your nearest asian supermarket.

20. MissCheekS

MissCheekS Reconnaîssant ❤

=( every time i try to make that... i faillll... I am very good at making the cold summer rolls though... I love VN foooood!!! <3!! PHO rockz too! Too bad I can't make that =( I used to have it when I stayed at my ex bf place :(