"Lang Mo" (Angelababy, Kama) phenomenon - what's the problem?

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by Paranoidandroid, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Paranoidandroid

Paranoidandroid Well-Known Member

So I've been hearing this term used in HK more and more and learned about this trend that's causing an uproar among the local community. What I don't understand is WHY is there an uproar?

Models such as Kama Lo or Angelababy aren't underaged, so it's not a question of young girls selling their bodies. These are women who are able to make their own choices without consent. They choose to do what they do, so no one's being exploited. The things they wear are no different from that of a conventional model, yet people (including notable celebrities such as Josie Ho) are calling them 'no-clothes wearing models'.

I don't think this is fair. They aren't corrupting society in any way and even if they are, how are they different from past models? "Lang Mo" to me is just a repackaged model, marketed in a different way than in the past. Perhaps Hong Kong is too conservative and sexually-repressed that its citizens are turning into prudes.

2. AC0110

AC0110 Let the Fun Begin

To be honest, there isn't a uproar, it just happen to be on the news..
    HK has always been very conservative, I mean when stars wear bikini, it's like "ZOMG"

3. Paranoidandroid

4. KaY_xD

KaY_xD 但願人長久,千里共嬋娟

well, i guess you can think of it in a parental aspect, do u want ur kids to be like those ppl? do u want ur kids to be influenced by them, thinking showing off bodies can become famous, thinking squeezing their boobs together & giving out ice cream/soy milk is gr8 to be on the newspaper? so is this how society has become?

i really don't care if they're selling their boobs, 人人中意搏出位

they will dissappear w/i these 2 yrs max. look @ JJ, where is she at? lol.

5. EvilTofu

EvilTofu 吃|✿|0(。◕‿◕。)0|✿|吃

"Lang Mo," doesn't that stand for good looking model? Jin sang a song are you Lang Mo or are you Normal. Some of these models actions/poses in some photo shots are very similar to the Japanese models style. They really aren't showing as much compared with some other countries models. I do say that some do act a bit over the top when in front of a camera which can be annoying and so fake. But HK people are still kinda old fashion minded about these type of subjects.(sex, ways girls should act)

6. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

They just need more TV broadcasters in HK.

And plus they do more than sell sex, they sell a lot of stuff with their pretty faces.

But because we still have closed minded people all over the world, nobody will ever be satisfied with anything.

Just like the idiots who think the world's gonna end in 2012.

7. mr_evolution

mr_evolution ( • )( •ԅ(ˆ⌣ˆԅ)

Some of the young models like rainbow and kama quit school to become models, thus becoming a role model of early school leavers, and causes the uproah in the HK community.

Also, most of 'biff' is mostly used by the media to promote the sales of their books in the recent book fair.

8. LoveKristine

LoveKristine New Member

I think that the problem that is with these "lang mo" is that they don't have much experience and they're young, hence the name "lang mo" which means "young model". "lang " comes from the slang "lang mui" which means a young girl. And "mo" is an abbreviation for "model". The uproar that is in the media today is that the "lang mo" are being compared to runway models, such as Lisa S, Maggie Q, and others. They have had more experience and had to work for where they stand. But comparatively, the "lang mo" are getting more fans, jobs, and money each day. Of course, most of their clothes aren't any different than runway models, but if you look into other "lang mos", not just angelababy and janice man...they tend to wear less clothing and reveal more, in a nonprofessional way. So, it's really a case of experience vs. no experience and if it's right for the "lang mo" to come out wearing a little less, being a little younger and taking the place of the more experienced ones. Plus, just to throw it out there, "lang mos" are a lot shorter than regular HK models. Anglababy and janice man are only about 5' 4", making them not very suitable for the runway.

9. Paranoidandroid

I doubt the average Hong Konger knows **** about the model business, so hating them for being "inexperienced" is an excuse. I think alot of HK women are envious of these nubile young beauties and are trying to justify their jealousy.

10. The_Jelly

The_Jelly NSFW? :P

Have to agree there. Its the bored housewives complaining about this stuff.

11. KaY_xD

KaY_xD 但願人長久,千里共嬋娟

i'm pretty happy when i know most of the lang mo failed the HKCEE
    (Y)

12. LoveKristine

LoveKristine New Member

If you're referring to me for being jealous and envious...I'm not because I actually like Angelababy and Janice Man. I have Angelababy's poster on my wall too. I was just giving my insight on it objectively, like what I think other's are thinking. It doesn't mean that I agree. And it doesn't mean that I disagree either. I'm just seeing it from both sides. Daniel Wu pointed out the whole height thing during one of his recent interviews. It's not that big of a deal. It's just the models hating on each other due to those reasons. It really depends on what the public wants and I think that everyone's entitled to like who they want and take whoever's side they want.

13. Flames

Flames Out of Date User

14. The_Jelly

I guess I would be referring to you if you're a housewife. Are you?

15. BestOffer

BestOffer Well-Known Member

be realistic here, underaged ppl with such body and trying to be the center of the attendtion, and makes a lot of money, of course ppl will do it...a 1:1 ratio photo printed on a pillow case is sold for $900 HKD, about $125 CAD...isn't that a fast money-maker?

16. The_Jelly

I have the impression that they're over 18. Unless you're only considered to be an adult at the age of 21 in hk.

17. Paranoidandroid

hmmm HKD? Where can I find one in Hong Kong? JUST KIDDING!!!............................ (you got pm)

Nope, 18. It's also the drinking age

18. mr_evolution

mr_evolution ( • )( •ԅ(ˆ⌣ˆԅ)

I think they started at the age of 16/17

19. aiyah6188

aiyah6188 Member

The older part of the population is just more traditional and when it comes to showing too much skin they dont approve at all

20. LoveKristine

LoveKristine New Member

-.-...I'm not a housewife...I'm 20 and...do I look like a housewife to you?? lol