Learning Vietnamese

Discussion in 'Vietnamese Chat' started by dannyt619, Apr 26, 2006.

1. singlung2099

singlung2099 Well-Known Member

yeah some of it is similar to cantonese I sometimes get mixed up when I'm speaking vietnamese and cantonese at the same time (my uncles/aunties speak viet to me my gran and cousins speak canton to me). Gets confusing hearing them flow back and forth between both languages

2. sexmachine

sexmachine Member

if you learn the history, they invented the alphabhet system from the kanji and combine it with latin, hard or easy, it's depend on the person natural talent

3. kdotc

kdotc 안녕하세요빅뱅K-Dragon입니다

just learn i love u and some profanities..thast all u need to knw lol

4. glitterysky

glitterysky Member

It might be hard to learn if you're not accustomed to hearing it on a daily basis from peers or family members. If you practice though I'm sure you'll get used to it. I've been learning a bit of Korean myself just by watching all those Korean dramas. As they say, practice makes perfect!

5. a&d

a&d Active Member

yeah, i think vietnamese is very hard to learn, but funny. Some jokes in Vietnamese are very funny.

6. fishyfishy

fishyfishy Member

lmao vietnamese is hard to learn. the basics are simple but the sounds of the different vowels can through you off. its easier to read if theres no special markings..

7. chabunky2000

chabunky2000 Well-Known Member

Re: learning vietnamese

My family is from Vietnam. They can speak Vietnamese and Cantonese fluently. Too bad, I was born in U.S. I just know a little bit of Vietnamese. Anyway, it shouldn't be that hard to learn it if you put effort.

8. hkm91450

hkm91450 Well-Known Member

IMHO, Vietnamese isn't a very appealing language. It doesn't have the beautiful elegance or the spontaneous expressive creativity of the Chinese language.

Everytime I hear someone speaks Vietnamese, it just sounds like 'ung eng'-sounds, rising and falling... It just doesn't sound beautiful.

9. TVX

TVX Active Member

it so hard with the marks.

10. Darkii

Darkii Member

Lol, i wouldnt say vietnamese is hard to learn, its really similar to how its written just have to sound it out. The thing that i believe people find difficult is accents and some words are tounge twisters.

11. a&d

a&d Active Member

yah, I'm Vietnamese but I think that Vietnamese is hard to learn. The learner will have problem of distinguish some familiar character in Vietnamese.
    But I think Vietnamese is very fun. When you master it, you would know how funny it is.

12. Yo itz Trong

Yo itz Trong Well-Known Member

I speak Vietnamese fluently and I think it all depends. I grew up speaking the language (because that is the only way I can communicate with my parents), so learning how to write it isnt too hard. First you have the Vietnamese alphabet, very similar to the English alphabet. There's different symbols on top of each letter to help you pronounce the word. Unlike English where some words can take different sounds even though the have the same letters. For example, Steak (pronounced stake) is different from the word Streak (pronounced streek). Now Vietnamese has the same pronounciation, as long as you know how to pronounce correctly you can't go wrong. Also the way you say and write Vietnamese is completely different due to different regions you are in, just like the Chinese dialect. People from the north have a hard time understanding people from the south.

I'm currently studying the Vietnamese language, taking classes and such. I must say it gets dull after awhile. Along with my schoolwork it gets pretty stressful. Because I'm from the south, words we say are pronounced differently so when I write it, I write it all wrong.

13. a&d

a&d Active Member

I see. I think that Vietnamese is hard to learn cos' the learner have difficulty to know when to use which character among familiar others.

14. zephyr_37

zephyr_37 Member

Vietnamese is also hard to learn for beginners because some words are very vocal or nasal. I tried teaching one of my Canadian friends, and we were on numbers... when she tried to say 'bon', she couldn't get it. She's like: "It's too hard! I'm cutting off my air circulation to say FOUR?!" :p

15. wang_bao

wang_bao Well-Known Member

16. Well , if you're not Vietnamese you would says Vietnamese is hard language to learn . No matter what language you learn if it's not your native language , it would be very hard to learn at the first time , but if you get used to it , it would be very easy . Trust me , I can speak , write & read Vietnamese very well , so in my opinion I think the hardest thing when learning Vietnamese is Speaking , because it's very hard to pronounce if you're foreigner , but if you're Asian , it's probably easier for you . Writing Vietnamese is not hard at all , it's similar to English Alphabet just included some accent marks . If you want to learn Vietnamese . Reply here and tell me what you want to learn OK . I will try my best to help you as much as I can ... Hi Hi Hi ... I wish I can speak Cantonese , the language that Hong Kong people uses to speak to each other , especially in TVB series , if I'm not mistake . Anyway have fun you guys !!!

KuteDragonBabe

17. manhang

manhang Member

Polyglot

Being fluent in english, spanish, and viet, while learning canto, mand, and russian, I don't think that any language is easier or more difficult to learn than another. Of course, memorizing 20,000 unique characters instead of an alphabet of 26-30 letters is so agonizingly painful, (really, it actually hurts >.< ).

I also used to think that certain languages sounded odd...or at least not as fluid as others, until I heard Faye Wong sing in mandarin. Her voice made a language I thought was coarse and gutteral into a fluent and beautiful medium of expression. That's when I realized that almost every language I've ever heard share these qualities (though I still can't grunt like the germans) and that once you learn to appreciate the linguistics behind a language, each one will allow you to express yourself beautifully. No language is "ugly," a mother's lullaby in canto is no more or less soothing than one in mand, rusk, viet, or spanish.

From experience, I find learning a language is easiest by immersion. I prefer karaoke to classrooms and subtitled films to dubbed. Of course, I still have to listen to those Pimsleur language tapes, but after a point, I find myself learning more by watching films and singing along to mp3s and vcds. Having a flexible voice that can pronounce all the tones, vowels, and dipthongs of the world languages doesn't hurt either.

Heres something to help you along with viet:

A = pronounced like "ah" in papa, haha
    Ex: ba = ber(b) ah(a) bah(ba)
    can = ah(a) ner(n) ahn(an) ker(c) ahn(an) kahn(can)

Ă = pronounced like "áh", never used solely with 1 preceding consonant. It must be accompany by
    i. a preceding consonant & a following consonant
    Ex: bắc = áh(ă) ker(c) éck(ăc) ber(b) éck (ăc) béck(băc) shek (') béck (bắc)
    ii. a preceding consonant & a following consonant combo
    Ex: trăng = áh(ă) ngurh(ng) ahng(ăng) trrr(tr) ahng(ăng) trahng(trăng)
    iii. a following consonant
    Ex: ăn = áh(ă) ner(n) ahn(ăn)

E = pronounced like "err" in error w/o the "rr" sound
    Ex: bé = ber(b) err(e) berr(be) shek(') bérr(bé)

Ê = pronouced like letter "A" in english
    Ex: tên = A(ê) ner(n) An(ên) tuh(t) An(ên) tAn(tên)

O = pronounced like "ohr" in "ought", or almost as same as letter "R" in english w/o the "rr" sound at the end
    Ex: co = ker(c) ohr(o) kohr(co)

Ô = pronounced like "oh" like in "oh! my gosh"
    Ex: tô = tuh(t) oh(ô) toh(tô)
    xôn = oh(ô) ner(n) ohn(ôn) xer(x) ohn(ôn) xohn(xôn)

U = pronounced like "oo" in "too"
    Ex: tu = tuh(t) oo(u) too(tu)
    chung = oo(u) ngurh(ng) oong(ung) jer(ch) oong(ung) joong(chung)

Ư = pronounced like the sound of a wounded solder in experiencing pain "urggg!!!"
    Ex: sư = sher(s) urgg(ư) shurg(sư)
    sưng = urgg(ư) ngurh(ng) urng(ưng) sher(s) urng(ưng) shurng(sưng)

LUẬT HỎI NGÃ

Quỳnh Loan

Trong tiếng Việt chúng ta xử dụng tất cả 1270 âm tiết với dấu hỏi hoặc với dấu ngã, trong đó có 793 âm tiết (chiếm 62%) viết dấu hỏi, 477 âm tiết (38%) viết dấu ngã. Việc nắm được quy luật dấu hỏi và dấu ngã của lớp từ láy và lớp từ Hán Việt sẽ giúp ta giảm được nhiều lỗi chính tả.

I. Từ láy và từ có dạng láy:

• Các thanh ngang (viết không có dấu) và sắc đi với thanh hỏi, ví dụ như: dư dả, lửng lơ, nóng nẩy, vất vả...

• Các thanh huyền và nặng đi với thanh ngã, ví dụ như: tầm tã, lững lờ, vội vã, gọn ghẽ...

Quy tắc từ láy chỉ cho phép viết đúng chính tả 44 âm tiết dấu ngã sau đây:

ã ầm ã, ồn ã
    sã suồng sã
    thãi thưà thãi
    vãnh vặt vãnh
    đẵng đằng đẵng
    ẫm ẫm ờ
    dẫm dựa dẫm, dọa dẫm, dò dẫm
    gẫm gạ gẫm
    rẫm rờ rẫm
    đẫn đờ đẫn
    thẫn thờ thẫn
    đẽ đẹp đẽ
    ghẽ gọn ghẽ
    quẽ quạnh quẽ
    kẽo kẽo kẹt
    nghẽo ngặt nghẽo ??
    nghễ ngạo nghễ
    nhễ nhễ nhại
    chễm chiễm chệ
    khễng khập khễng
    tễng tập tễnh
    nghễu nghễu nghện
    hĩ hậu hĩ
    ĩ ầm ĩ
    rĩ rầu rĩ, rầm rĩ
    hĩnh hậu hĩnh, hợm hĩnh
    nghĩng ngộ nghĩnh
    trĩnh tròn trĩnh
    xĩnh xoàng xĩnh
    kĩu kĩu kịt
    tĩu tục tĩu
    nhõm nhẹ nhõm
    lõng lạc lõng
    õng õng ẹo
    ngỗ ngỗ nghịch, ngỗ ngược
    sỗ sỗ sàng
    chỗm chồm chỗm
    sỡ sặc sỡ, sàm sỡ
    cỡm kệch cỡm
    ỡm ỡm ờ
    phỡn phè phỡn
    phũ phũ phàng
    gũi gần gũi
    hững hờ hững
    (Hoàng Phê, 2).

Ngoài ra còn có 19 âm tiết dấu ngã khác dùng như từ đơn tiết mà có dạng láy ví dụ như:

cãi cọ
    giãy giụa
    sẵn sàng
    nẫu nà
    đẫy đà
    vẫy vùng
    bẽ bàng
    dễ dàng
    nghĩ ngợi
    khập khiễng
    rõ ràng
    nõn nà
    thõng thượt
    ngỡ ngàng
    cũ kỹ
    nũng nịu
    sững sờ
    sừng sững
    vững vàng
    ưỡn ẹo

Cần phải nhớ cãi cọ khác với củ cải, nghĩ ngợi khác với nghỉ ngơi, nghỉ học.

Như vậy quy tắc hài thanh cho phép viết đúng chính tả 63 âm tiết dấu ngã. Ngoài ra còn có 81 âm tiết dấu ngã dưới đây thuộc loại ít dùng:

Ngãi, tãi, giãn (dãn), ngão, bẵm, đẵm (đẫm), giẵm (giẫm), gẵng, nhẵng, trẫm, nẫng, dẫy (dãy), gẫy (gãy), nẫy (nãy), dẽ, nhẽ (lẽ), thẽ, trẽ, hẽm (hẻm), trẽn, ẽo, xẽo, chễng, lĩ, nhĩ, quĩ, thĩ, miễu, hĩm, dĩnh, đĩnh, phĩnh, đõ, ngoã, choãi,doãi, doãn, noãn, hoãng, hoẵng, ngoẵng, chõm, tõm, trõm, bõng, ngõng, sõng, chỗi (trỗi), giỗi (dỗi), thỗn, nỗng, hỡ, xỡ, lỡi, lỡm, nỡm, nhỡn, rỡn (giỡn), xũ, lũa, rũa (rữa), chũi, lũi, hũm, tũm, vũm, lũn (nhũn), cuỗm, muỗm, đuỗn, luỗng, thưỡi, đưỡn, phưỡn, thưỡn, chưỡng, gưỡng, khưỡng, trưỡng, mưỡu (Hoàng Phê, 3).

Tôi để ý thấy rất nhiều lỗi chính tả ở những âm tiết rất thường dùng sau đây: đã (đã rồi), sẽ (mai sẽ đi), cũng (cũng thế), vẫn (vẫn thế), dẫu (dẫu sao), mãi (mãi mãi), mỗi, những, hễ (hễ nói là lam), hỡi (hỡi ai), hãy, hẵng.

Cũng có những trường hợp ngoại lệ như:

1. Dấu ngã: đối đãi (từ Hán Việt), sư sãi (từ Hán Việt), vung vãi (từ ghép), hung hàn (từ Hán Việt), than vãn, ve vãn, nhão nhoét (so sánh: nhão nhẹt), minh mẫn (từ Hán Việt), khe khẽ (so sánh: khẽ khàng), riêng rẽ, ễng ương, ngoan ngoãn, nông nỗi, rảnh rỗi, ủ rũ . . .

2. Dấu hỏi: sàng sảy (từ ghép), lẳng lặng, mình mẩy, vẻn vẹn, bền bỉ, nài nỉ, viển vông, chò hỏ, nhỏ nhặt, nhỏ nhẹ, sừng sỏ, học hỏi, luồn lỏi, sành sỏi, vỏn vẹn, mềm mỏng, bồi bỏ, chồm hổm, niềm nở, hồ hởi . . . (Hoàng Phê, 4).

II. Từ Hán Việt:

a) Dùng dấu hỏi khi có phụ âm đầu là:

• Ch-: chuẩn, chỉ, chỉnh, chủ, chuẩn, chủng, chuyển, chưởng.
    • Gi-: giả, giải, giảm, giản, giảng, giảo.
    • Kh-: khả, khải, khảm, khảng, khảo, khẳng, khẩn, khẩu, khiển, khoả, khoản, khoảnh, khổ, khổng, khởi, khuẩn, khủng, khuyển, khử.
    • Và các từ không có phụ âm đầu như: ải, ảm, ảnh, ảo, ẩm, ấn, ẩu, ổn, uẩn, ủng, uổng, uỷ, uyển, ỷ, yểm, yểu.

b) Dùng dấu ngã khi có phụ âm đầu là:

• D-: dã, dẫn, dĩ, diễm, diễn, diễu, dĩnh, doãn, dõng, dũng, dữ, dưỡng.
    • L-: lãm, lãn, lãng, lãnh, lão, lẫm, lễ, liễm, liễu, lĩnh, lõa, lỗi, lỗ, lũ, lũng, luỹ, lữ, lưỡng.
    • M-: mã, mãi, mãn, mãng, mãnh, mão, mẫn, mẫu, mỹ, miễn.
    • N-(kể cả NH-NG): nã, não, ngã, ngãi, ngẫu, nghĩa, nghiễm, ngỗ, ngũ, ngữ, ngưỡng, nhã, nhãn, nhẫn, nhĩ, nhiễm, nhiễu, nhỡn, nhũ, nhũng, nhuyễn, nhưỡng, noãn, nỗ, nữ.
    • V-: vãn, vãng, vẫn, vĩ, viễn, vĩnh, võ, võng, vũ.

c) 33 từ tố Hán-Việt có dấu ngã cần ghi nhớ (đối chiếu với bản dấu hỏi bên cạnh):

Bãi: bãi công, bãi miễn.
    Bảo: bảo quản, bảo thủ. Bão: hoài bão, bão ho
    Bỉ: bỉ ổi, thô bỉ Bĩ: vận bĩ, bĩ cực thái lai
    Cưỡng: cưỡng bức, miễn cưỡng
    Cửu: cửu trùnh, vĩnh cửu Cữu: linh cữu
    Đãi: đối đãi, đãi ngộ
    Đảng: đảng phái Đãng: quang đãng, dâm đãng
    Để: đại để, đáo để, triệt để Đễ: hiếu đễ
    Đỗ: đỗ quyên
    Hải: hải cảng, hàng hải Hãi: kinh hãi
    Hãm: kìm hãm, hãm hại
    Hãn: hãn hữu, hung hãn
    Hãnh: hãnh diện, kiêu hãnh
    Hoãn: hoãn binh, hoà hoãn
    Hổ: hổ cốt, hổ phách Hỗ: hỗ trợ
    Hỗn: hỗn hợp, hỗn độn
    Huyễn: huyễn hoặc
    Hữu: tả hữu, hữu ích
    Kỷ: kỷ luật, kỷ niệm, ích kỷ, thế kỷ
    Kỹ: kỹ thuật, kỹ nữ
    Phẫn: phẫn nộ
    Phẫu: giải phẫu
    Quẫn: quẫn bách, quẫn trí
    Quỷ: quỷ quái, quỷ quyệt Quỹ: công quỹ, quỹ đạo
    Sỉ: sỉ nhục, liêm sỉ Sĩ: sĩ diện, chiến sĩ, nghệ sĩ
    Tể: tể tướng, chúa tể, đồ tể Tễ: dịch tễ
    Thuẫn: hậu thuẫn, mâu thuẩn
    Tiễn: tiễn biệt, thực tiễn, hoả tiễn
    Tiểu: tiểu đội, tiểu học Tiễu: tuần tiễu, tiễu phỉ
    Tỉnh: tỉnh ngộ, tỉnh thành Tĩnh: bình tĩnh, yên tĩnh
    Trĩ: ấu trĩ
    Trữ: tích trữ, trữ tình
    Tuẫn: tuẫn nạn, tuẫn tiết
    Xả: xả thân Xã: xã hội, xã giao, thị xã
    (Hoàng Phê, 6-7).

III. Tóm lại:

1. Từ láy: Các thanh ngang và sắc đi với thanh hỏi. Các thanh huyền và nặng đi với thanh ngã. Để cho dễ nhớ chúng ta có thể tóm gọn trong hai câu thơ sau:

Chị Huyền vác nặng ngã đau
    Anh Sắc không hỏi một câu được là (Hoàng Anh Tuấn).

2. Từ Hán Việt phần lớn viết với dấu hỏi (trong tổng số yếu tố Hán-Việt, có 176 yếu tố viết dấu hỏi, chiếm 62%; 107 yếu tố viết dấu ngã, chiếm 38%), (Hoàng Phê, 6).

• Dùng dấu hỏi khi có phụ âm đầu là CH, GI, KH và các từ khởi đầu bằng nguyên âm hoặc bán nguyên âm như ải, ảm, ảnh, ảo, ẩm, ấn, ẩu, ổn, uẩn, ủng, uổng, uỷ, uyển, ỷ, yểm, yểu.

• Dùng dấu ngã khi có phụ âm đầu là M, N(NH-NG), V, L, D, N (cho dễ nhớ tôi viết thành Mình Nên Viết Là Dãu Ngã) (Hoàng Anh Tuấn).

Như vậy chỉ cần nắm các qui tắc trên và nhớ 33 trường hợp đặc biệt viết với dấu ngã là có thể viết đúng chính tả toàn bộ 283 yếu tố Hán-Việt có vấn đề hỏi ngã cũng coi như nắm được căn bản chính tả DẤU HỎI HAY DẤU NGÃ trong tiếng Việt (Hoàng Phê, 1).

18. poopiness

poopiness Member

vietnamese is easy once you grasp the basics, but before that, it's pretty hard and confusing :D

19. thaonjh22

thaonjh22 New Member

vietnamese is kind of hard at the beginning
    but once you get the pronunciation and accents right
    it gets easier, you just have to practice with someone who can speak vietnamese...

20. hot_technochick

hot_technochick New Member

vietnamese isn't that bad. Even though i was born in the US, i managed to learn both English and Vietnamese. I think the hardest part is writing it. I get confused on which symbol to use, such as the ~ or the ? =\