Middle of the night, thought I smelled gas...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ralphrepo, Jan 30, 2022.

1. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

Got up in the middle of the night and went to my kitchen to grab a snack (yeah, I know, fat guy move, LOL...) and as I walked into the kitchen, a distinct foul smelling odor like a lingering fart hit me square in the nostrils. Damn, who the hell farted? But since there was no one else in there except me, I immediately checked all the stove burners, behind the stove in case it was a plumbing leak, but nothing.

I then went to wake up my wife, frantic that we may have to call the fire department to find the source of the gas leak. The utility company always advises to notify the FD if one smelled gas and to not wait because bad fires and explosions could result. So I had my phone in my hand about to dial 911. The missus rouses after a few nudges and I related the problem to her and she immediately says, 'don't worry about it, I ate a durian last night while you were sleeping...' rolled over and went right back to sleep.

Damn... that stuff smells so freaking bad. Comical really, but I was genuinely going to call the fire department, LOL... Looking it up on line, it appears I'm not the only one to have made this mistake.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/10/15/durian-canberra-australia-gas-leak/

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. ab289

ab289 Well-Known Member

Best tasting fruit if you ask me. I don't think it smell anything bad at all.
    Did your wife saw Feng.Shui.New.Year.22.01 and decided to eat durian for Chinese New Year for good luck?

But, I can see that happening - a funny Caucasian American doc I used to work with thought it smell like gas too. One time we were so busy, he said to go get durian during lunch and bring it to the hospital and he'll call in a gas leak so we can all evacuate and take a break. :rolleyes:
    But, he loves the taste of the fruit and was going to name his son Durian (being King of Fruits); his wife had to stopped him. :lol:

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Jeff

Jeff 神之馬壯

That's a pretty funny story!

TMI I still never had a durian in my whole life so far

• Win! Win! x 1