Never hire a friend

Discussion in 'The Rant Section' started by babs, Feb 23, 2011.

1. teresax

teresax New Member

agree with never hiring a friend.... and also relatives or anyone related to you.... the relationship becomes messy

2. 2009

2009 Active Member

just fire him and wish him good luck

3. Etranger

Etranger New Member

You are such a good friend to him and I hope he knows that! You should sit down and talk it out and hear his side of the story and if he gives u a bullshit story, you should cut his shifts and next time, no more favors :)

4. KevinYuen

KevinYuen Active Member

Honestly just fire him. You even warned him about not being late and that he can't delay. If it is really impacting you that much, just let go of that person.

5. maxwoo

maxwoo Member

I think both of you have already agreed to a set of code before you hire him. So it's perfectly okay to fire him. Or you could give him a warning that this should not happen and deduct his pay for that...no more next time!!!

6. homoloto

homoloto Well-Known Member

so true, typical Chinese frdship.

7. I would never hire a friend unless if my friend is actually good for the job. I would try not to hire family members that I am not actually close with or is not qualified for the job. I know there will be problems in the future.

8. WeakNiZ

WeakNiZ Well-Known Member

My friend got me a job at a place that he is working at. After working there for one month, my three co-workers there got laid off (not including my friend), so now it's just me and my friend working there.

For the money lending, for those that said that they will never lend money to friends, then does that mean you're going to lend money to strangers?

All I'm trying to say is that, when it comes to hooking up friends with jobs, or lending some cash to friends, you just have to know which friends you can or can't trust. The only reason my three co-workers got fired was before I got hired, they always slack on the job. When I came in, all I did was work, until it was either break time, there was a meeting, or it was time to go home. I did more work than those three slackers combined in a day. And for money, I usually help friends order items online, and I would tell them not to pay me until the item comes in. And the majority of the time, they will pay up the total cost of item (shipping & tax if included) and tip me also, which majority of the time, I wouldn't accept, cause that's not what friends are for.

There are good friends and there are bad ones. Just got to know the one you can and can't trust, and rely on.

9. susanne

susanne New Member

Giving a lesson to others to never hire their friends I do not agree to at all.
    Granted your situation I wont argue about your right to vent.

But it's a clear cut case isnt it? Fire him? From your posting it looks like you're having marriage issues due to the infertility aswell.
    I hope things turn out good for you.

10. Hartia

Hartia Well-Known Member

yeah it really depends, i mean this dude is obviously taking advantage of you. Some people will actually take the job seriously.

In any case, we ain't your friend, so hire me

11. ao_xxx

ao_xxx Well-Known Member

Friends are hard to fire, but family is even harder to fire. Never hire family members, as you're most likely doing their work for them.

12. blueheart1985

blueheart1985 Well-Known Member

Fire your friend is hard, because you put your friendship on test. But this friend don't play by the rules of the company/work. So fire him

13. OhHenry1

OhHenry1 Member

Well in this case, although its been a year already, I don't think you should fire the friend right away. Maybe cut 2 work days for a probation period and if there are no improvements to his attitude, then fire him.

14. lala_bel_tempo

lala_bel_tempo Well-Known Member

I agree, never mix friendship with business. Never mix relationships with business (I heard working with your partner is a no go). Anyone find this true?

15. chot

chot Member

I think this is true. Now we all want our workers/employees to be our friend but it is important to keep a distance. the reason being people react differently when the perception of friend and supervisor. The personal space, limitation, feelings, reaction etc. is different. Work is work and it is important to keep that in mind. No matter how professional it is still work. Now this does not mean you can't be friends with your employees but keep some distance is a good choice in the long run.