[NEWS] Feet Binding

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by Great Sage Equal of Heaven, Mar 28, 2007.

1. kakenx

kakenx Well-Known Member

oh wow!... changing the bone structure of the foot >< wonder how fast can ppl walk like that...

2. drsnoopy

drsnoopy Well-Known Member

ah...chinese footbinding...i don't agree with that...but i did like the idea of having kings...too bad we don't have that anymore...

3. Phoenix

Phoenix *~Though she be but little, she is fierce~*

i read about it somewhere..n it was also mentioned in 'A Chinese Cinderella'

4. pirvee

pirvee Well-Known Member

it really looks like painfull....i believe footbinding was forbidden by the Emperor for all in Court. All people in court weren't allowed to bind their foot, but it was such a hype everywhere in the higher ranks of the society. :S

5. brown_bear

brown_bear ☆‧° ☆﹒﹒‧ ☆ ﹒﹒‧☆‧° ☆

i remember watching some kind of TVB show about this...its really gross...cant remember the name of the show but from what i can remember it had mandy chow in it and celebs go visiting places with these -sick2 traditions i think the one mandy chow went to was that neck tradition where these women have to wear these gold rings around their necks

6. smallrinilady

smallrinilady Well-Known Member

it was a sure sign of being in a high class family
    becuase many of the women could not walk properly and had to walk with canes from then on

but if you lived on a farm, they couldn't bind your feet, because you needed to be able to run around and work on teh farm

my mom talks about how her grandmother had to have her feet bound

7. hahaha.. you mean Kathy Chow... yea i've seen that one.. but it's nothing like tis.. -rotfl

8. veexd

veexd Member

I think it's absurd. Feet binding was suppose to represent females in a sense that they're "high class" and not a farmer girl who are pointed at and laughed at for having big feet.

9. smilely

smilely Well-Known Member

yh i member my mum use to tell me that they use to do that felt sad when she told me that, must of hurt so much, so glad they stopped it

10. winterfuyu

winterfuyu Well-Known Member

wait so her toes are on the bottom of her feet now? how does she keep her balance?

11. sakky101

sakky101 Well-Known Member

They don't hardly walk, so that why it's only the rich people that did it. All these girl ever did was sit around to look pretty as a status and if they need to move around, they had maids help them around.

12. whoaitselaine

whoaitselaine Well-Known Member

that's disgusting ><
    feel bad for the women that had to bind their feet back then.

13. pto88

pto88 Well-Known Member

OMG, that is super gross....insane how people thought this was normal back then

14. minimo

minimo Member

I was told that the purpose of the foot binding was so that women who were married could not run away.

15. Veincentury

Veincentury Well-Known Member

Omfg, I'm totally sick after seeing this. Wtf is wrong with people from the past. Status symbol or not it's not natural. It's not like one is piercing their ears or something like that.-sick2

16. XDTP

XDTP Well-Known Member

that is sick.

17. AisuTsuki

AisuTsuki Well-Known Member

Hm I remember reading about this.
    They said that women who have smaller feet are more attractive or something...

And at an old age, it hurts like heck :<

18. XDTP

XDTP Well-Known Member

think of the pain before they became old. when you're unnaturally making your body deformed like that.....pain ensues.

19. bbes

bbes Incredible

the thing is women didn't live that long back then but i agree its gross and a stupid idea.

20. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

It isn't any more insane than young girls who sell themselves to middle aged men just so that they can buy all the latest status symbol jewelry, clothing, or fashion accessories. Imagine what a Tang woman would think of a young girl today, who would willingly have sex with a stranger so that she could buy an over priced handbag?

Insanity is really relative, as are status symbols.

Ralph