Night Photography

Discussion in 'Photoshop & Artwork Section' started by skoo78, Jul 10, 2014.

1. skoo78

skoo78 Active Member

What is the best lens to capture night photography for a Nikon D90?

2. Crystal84

Crystal84 Well-Known Member

Any lens would do fine as long as you use a tripod and a shutter release cable.
    If you want do handheld shots, I would recommend anything with a larger aperture than 2.8.

3. Crystal84

Any lens would do fine as long as you use a tripod and a shutter release cable.
    If you want do handheld shots, I would recommend anything with a larger aperture than 2.8.

4. skoo78

skoo78 Active Member

Cool! Thanks Crystal84.

5. megazone23

megazone23 Well-Known Member

If you're on a tripod, don't forget to turn down the ISO and shrink the aperture a bit =P Well, depends on what you're taking a picture of at night

6. skoo78

skoo78 Active Member

Thanks. I'm still trying to get use to this night photography thing. Hope to get some nice shots.

7. Crystal84

Way to success:

1. Get a motive
    2. Put your cam on a steady tripod
    3. connect Shutter Release cable
    4. Pre-focus, set focus to manual
    5. turn off IS
    6. ISO 100, Aperture f8, shutter time 5seconds with 5 seconds increase between each shot
    7. Be amazed

8. Crystal84

Way to success:

1. Get a motive
    2. Put your cam on a steady tripod
    3. connect Shutter Release cable
    4. Pre-focus, set focus to manual
    5. turn off IS
    6. ISO 100, Aperture f8, shutter time 5seconds with 5 seconds increase between each shot
    7. Be amazed

9. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

Is there an echo in here?

Seriously, the OP question is so vague that I would venture to say, first buy of book on photography, then afterwards ask about how to shoot in low light situations. Like the other respondent stated, any camera and lens is certainly capable of shooting in low light. But given the wide ranges within the venue, the question itself is pretty open to interpretation. Is the OP asking about recording star trails? Or is the question related to shooting scenes in a well lit night market or sports stadium?

But, if all you want is THE best lens for night photography? Then here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...L-t8_7chMACFZTm7AodjiYAvg&Q=&is=REG&A=details

It's only about $11,000 USD. Not sure if it would work on the nikon though, as it's a leica lens.

#9 ralphrepo, Aug 8, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2014