Praying?

Discussion in 'Philosophy & Religion' started by negiqboyz, Jun 26, 2009.

1. negiqboyz

negiqboyz Well-Known Member

I have read countless miracle stories - healthy recoveries, cheated death, etc .. simply by praying to the God/s of whatever religion/s you believe in. Do you really believe that it helped or is it the inner optimism that helped you?

I want to say that I don't believe in it but deep down inside, there are times where I feel that praying really give me hope to overcome my obstacles. I know it's a bit silly since it's more of the mental motivation that give me the inner power. There are too many times where nothing pans out even after countless prayers. When that happened, people told me that whatever I have prayed gonna happen in time, just in an unnoticeable ways. For example, I prayed to be able to buy a big house. Instead of winning the lottery or things like that, I might end up getting a good job that paves the way to getting the financial need to afford such a home. There's no free lunch in reality and the same goes for praying is what I have heard from people. God only helps those who help themselves. In another words, you not gonna win the mega million dollar jackpot by praying .. lol

2. kontradictions

kontradictions Well-Known Member

I don't believe praying to any god would affect the outcome of any event but that doesn't mean that I discourage people from praying all together. Personally, I think of praying as a method of comfort for people when they're in hard times. By putting themselves in the hands of another, it helps them feel at ease.

3. fearless_fx

fearless_fx Eugooglizer

hmm whenever someone mentions prayer i immediately think of this picture

[​IMG]

4. praying mantis comes to mind when i see the title.

lol @ anyone who clicked expecting me to say any more than i did.

5. KaY_xD

KaY_xD 但願人長久,千里共嬋娟

^EXACTLY. i thought u will throw out some big explanations w/ supporting facts.......

6. bbgirlsum

bbgirlsum Well-Known Member

Well I would say that praying gives you more optimism, it's like a hope. That's why to those who say they don't believe God are not 100% skeptical when it comes to these thigns coz when they pray, it's something to keep themselves happier with more hope and something to hold onto to work onto like a wish
    Plus I believe prayers doesn't work in a sense to prove God exist although miracles happen and it can not be explained scientifically, but if I was a believer I would personally think that God will only grant those prayers for those that are not using it as a personal gain, and the fact the prayer is thinking of others (whether welfare, education, wealth, etc) and the fact you are not too greedy I guess

I remembered I prayed for once coz I was depressed when I was in high school and I'm still not a believer but rather than a prayer it was more liek getting things off my chest and instead of talking to myself, I thought praying was the best thing to do and tell my problems although I didn't ask for any solution apart from taking the depression away - Although it wasn't taken away from me miraculously, I built my self-confidence up again and made myself happy instead of relying on someone else...

Oh damn you G! I would actually believe that you do pray! Wait before i come to my own judgement.. Do you actually pray and believe in it? Now don't say I never ask :p
    Actually I guess you don't do praying but you say your prayers before you eat at a formal dinner :p I bet I'm wrong >.<!!!

7. KaY_xD

KaY_xD 但願人長久,千里共嬋娟

praying IS a moral thing.that comforts u.......gives u power to calm down.........i aint religious or a christian...........but it does helped me in the past when i was in trouble and i was lost........then i wanted more and more, i guess that's why God doesn't grant me anything anymore haha.

the 1st time i prayed was back in 5th grade. I just came back from USA and was influenced w/ Christianity (thanks g-ma). One time i was afraid our teacher might be giving out those quizzes from the TV. I sat in the very far back and i could hardly see, but i was afraid to tell her..........then i prayed to God, Oh God please!! let's read rather than doing those stupid quizzes!! AND IT COMES TRUE>.....

praying is like asking more and more to me. it's kinda selfish, of cuz u can also pray for others. but u're asking GOD to help you, you're not helping urself. WHenever i heard my grandma prays to God when my grandpa or uncle just had a big fight w/ my cousin, or w/ her, dude it sounds like she's just nagging it to a imaginary friend.

the following are images of an alterpiece that was used to hang in a hospital. It wants patients to know and feel that Jesus has suffered more than they are. (AP Art History =D )
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. bbgirlsum

lol praying is like talking to yourself or talking to thin air :p but then i thought the same for those who are buddhist and "lim ging" when they mumble like no one's business lol

I haven't seen them pictures around but then I don't have the perception of Jesus suffered more than the patients... yes to a certain extent that he did suffer more but what about those who has illnesses and diseases that will follow them for life (liek cereabl pawsie [dunno how to spell] or AIDs) or to those who has lost their life interest due to an accident because the person was paralyzed or lost a limb
    Funny how I didn't pray when I rushed my sister to the hospital when I once picked her up from school, I actually screwed at God shouting...
    "OMFG she's having a fucking allergic reaction, get out of my fucking way" *beeps car horn* *no one moves out the way* *waits 5 minutes* "FUCKING GET OUT OF MY WAY YOU STUPID IDIOTS!" *zooms down to the hospital"
    I think cursing does a hell lot of good, more than praying....

9. KaY_xD

KaY_xD 但願人長久,千里共嬋娟

YES! it release ur emotions better than praying........praying just asking/begging for help. Yelling or cursing let go of ur emotions and worries, it calms u more than praying i guess.

i punched the walls one time when i waited more than 2 hr outside for my aunt to pick me up (she actually forgot that she was supposed to pick me up). Everything i said started w/ a "F". I didn't see how praying to God can makes me feel better.

10. bbgirlsum

^ i think if we curse instead of praying, we might get what we want from God hahaaaa
    seems like a very very veyr few of us is oging to Heaven so why pray for him :p

11. Im getting to old for it -wheel

YAY you asked for once (Y) but you messed it up with your guessing at the end (N) :p, next time youll get it im sure >.<.

sure i do, not just when i eat and drink, if i didn't believe in it and have reason to do so, believe me, i wouldn't do it.

words have more power than you think, cursing people is not good as you may contributing to their misfortune whether you believe it or not. watch out for idle words

12. [mJ9]

[mJ9] Well-Known Member

i also think like him.

i'm Catholic and i don't pray regularly,actually,it's just when i go to the church(which is only during the lent and CNY)...years ago,i prayed everyday,each night,i don't know if it really helped.

13. bbgirlsum

i don't mean cursing at people intentionally like "Fuck you bitch coz you hurt me" ..
    I meant it when we are in trouble and there is nothing else we can do but things are either stopping or delaying what is important to do and cursing is a better way to get your way to get that important tyhrough, like rushing someone to hospital or to see a loved one before they pass away etc..

14. Na i didtnt mean cussing, i meant wishing misfortune on a person. hmm im not sure about your example, im not catching on to what you meant :(

#14 master_g, Jun 27, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2009
  15. -steffi-

-steffi- Well-Known Member

mehh you guys make praying sound so confusing,i pray because i like to talk to God... i pray about pretty much about anything..when i'm worried or scared,or even happy,i just want to thank God for the blessings he has given me or the obstacles he has created for me cause i know in the end its just all gonna contribute to the plan he has for me.
    x

16. ^ thats all it is, talking to God, no mystical preparations or verbal routines, just find a nice quite place and talk.

17. KaY_xD

KaY_xD 但願人長久,千里共嬋娟

^ARE YOU REALLY TALKING TO GOD?

Donde esta God?
    No mirolo!!

Can't i do the same thing with my goldfish? Certainly. I will nag out my unhappiness to my goldfish. None of them can response, but at least they are some physical things that actually exist. Talking to God....you close ur eyes and talk, it's like a Shakespeare monologue.

18. ^ if u want, your life, your choice.

19. KaY_xD

KaY_xD 但願人長久,千里共嬋娟

^LOL

i was being a lil bit radical there....unbelievable. WHATEVER, freedom of religion, freedom of praying.

20. You radical you!!!!!!!!!!!! :whip::whip::whip: