Random Pics Of Old China

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by ralphrepo, Apr 25, 2009.

1. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

We're all familiar with Yao Ming, the 7 foot 6 inch Chinese ozone breathing star of US pro basketball fame. But before Yao's great grand parents were even born, another Chinese was already acknowledged as a "big" star in the western world.

[​IMG]

Entilted Chang the Chinese Giant [c1870] Location & attribution not known [RESTORED] I removed obvious spot, defects, discoloring stain; adjusted constrast, unsharp masked the image, and added sepia toning (original is behind spoiler).

[​IMG]
    Chang Woo Gow (also listed under a variety of other similar names) was reportedly already 7 foot 9 inches when he 19 years old and began to tour the world, and eventually grew to a height that was an estimated 8 feet. Others claim that he was only medically measured at 7 foot 8 inches. He also claimed to have had a sister at home who was even taller than he. Unfortunately, a lot of his personal bio seems to be confusingly mixed with his stage managed bio, making a true account of him really hard to arrive at. Several examples of his picture cards attest to his birthplace being Peking. Others claim that he was born in a place called Fychow. Despite an extensive search of the internet, I have not been able to locate a Chinese town called Fychow. The closest place under Wade-Giles spelling (the predominant way of romanizing Chinese during the 1800's) would be Fuchow (also Foochow, or modern day Fuzhou). Again, it was probably a misread letter U that somehow became a letter Y in some document that was then retained as something of historic value. Still others have his birthplace as somewhere near Canton (modern day Guangzhou). Additionally, he supposedly was married to a Chinese woman named King Foo, who subsequently died. But King Foo (aka Kin Foo) is claimed by some sources as actually being only a fake show character invented by his managers as an adjunct to his act. Chinese women were hired to play the role of this dutiful "wife" and would appear on stage with him. Still other sources claim that King Foo was, in fact, his real wife; one Catherine Santley (of Liverpool) whom Chang met and married while performing in Australia. Mrs. Santley Chang was said to appear in Chinese costume in performances with Chang, and use the stage name of King Foo. Perhaps the truth is some, all, or none of the above.

Chang purportedly was fluent with an astonishing 26 languages. This for me is rather hard to believe, and I suspect it to be only a stage fact. However, it was clear that he was at least conversant in several European languages, and was remembered by others as an avid reader. He traveled through just about all of the known world and had put on sell out performances. At one point, he returned to China, but was soon enticed by PT Barnum to return to the show world. Barnum reportedly paid him anything from $500 dollars a month, upwards to $600 dollars a week again, depending on what you read. Either way, it was a princely sum for most people in the 1870's. In the course of my net research into Chang, I came across two posts in a Genealogy Forum, and I'll quote both of them verbatim. Note: I have no way of knowing how accurate any of these statements are:

The messages above were originally posted in 2002, and no other responses have been added to that thread since. If anyone has any more information on this fascinating character, please help us fill in the blanks. Also, the following appeared in a copy of Modern English Biography Vol 4, Supplement vol 1 [1908] (title is download link)

And finally, in a book about such personalities, I found these pages:
    [​IMG]
    (Click image to enlarge and read)

Sources:
    http://www.ashleighhotel.co.uk/chang.html
    http://thehumanmarvels.com/?p=957
    http://www.stevequayle.com/Giants/Asia/Asia.html

#61 ralphrepo, Jul 8, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  2. ralphrepo

During the unfortunate war years, when Chinese territory was taken by Japan, the Imperial Japanese Army had occupied a substantial amount of the land along the eastern coast of China for a number of years. Since photography itself knows no allegiance, many photos of course, would be taken by IJA soldiers. Some recorded their startling cruelty and inhumanity to their fellow man; less well known images simply documented mundane daily experience. Many would be the kind of pictures that soldiers (of any flag) take to show their daily surroundings to those waiting back home for their safe return.

Below is probably such a picture. Found on a Chinese web site dedicated to the war years, it seems to have been taken from a private Japanese photo album. The original picture wasn't scanned, but was directly photographed with a digital camera from an opened album page. One corner of the photo bore a picture retainer (used to hold a photograph onto the display page) typical of home albums during the mid 1900's, and the resultant photograph was clearly evident of Barrel Distortion (a defect phenomenon of modern camera lenses where the middle of the picture seems to bulge outwards toward the viewer), where the camera is held too close to an object being photographed, in this case the album page.

[​IMG]

The picture was not titled, location is not known [c1940s] there was no attribution. [RESTORED] I cropped the image, repaired the bottom left corner that was covered by the photo retainer, adjusted the tone and contrast, then sepia toned it (original is behind the spoiler).

[​IMG]
    This is a very interesting picture of the Chinese civilian's adaptation to prevent bomb damage. Several of the buildings bore bamboo bomb shields; that is layers of bamboo built elaborately into a mesh atop buildings, with the intent to prematurely detonate falling bombs. This would limit the sustained damage to the outside of a home or building. Otherwise, a bomb would crash through the roof and explode inside, often collapsing a structure and killing all of its inhabitants.

There is also a Swastika painted on one roof (right of photo). The meaning for which is not known to me. Did the dwelling below hold members of the Nazi party, that is German allies of the Japanese, painted there so that the IJA would not bomb it by mistake? Perhaps it was a German embassy or consulate? No way to tell. If anyone knows the history of this photograph, please feel free to add to our collective knowledge.

#62 ralphrepo, Jul 13, 2009
  3. ralphrepo

George Lacks was another Life Magazine staffer in the right place at the right time, witnessing the turbulent changes wrought on Chinese society immediately after world war 2. He helped provide an important part of the visual chronicle of Chinese Communist forces finally ousting the Nationalists, and China becoming the People's Republic in 1949. Before that however, in March of 1946, he was in Mukden (present day Shenyang 瀋陽 ) photographing the social casualties left by the war. After the Imperial Japanese Army surrendered to either Chinese or Soviet forces, a small portion of their civilian population was lucky enough to have been repatriated back to Japan. The majority of Japanese civilians living in northern China however, were literally abandoned in place by their fallen government and defeated armies. Hunted by the Soviets and hated by the Chinese, Manchurian Japanese paid the price for the previous excesses of their brutal military governance. Many were hunted down and killed outright, their shops and homes burned, and their property looted or seized by angry Chinese mobs. Those Japanese expatriates that survived only did so on their wits and an extraordinary amount of luck.

[​IMG]

Entitled Girls standing outside of their homes Mukden China [1946] G Lacks [RESTORED] I removed obvious spots, defects, and the huge annoying LIFE logo at the bottom right; overall tone was darkened and contrast, along with a sepia tone, was added (original is behind the spoiler).

[​IMG]
    As previously stated, war can bring out the best or the worst in people. Those caught on the periphery may sometimes find themselves in situations that compel them to do things which, under normal circumstances, no one would ever dream of. Thousands of woman caught on the wrong side of the harsh war time economics thus turned to prostitution. The shame and humiliation perhaps mitigated by a fragile loved ones' full belly, or a sick parent's continued medical care. In the desperate days immediately after the war, entire streets or alleys of Mukden, devoted to the flesh trade, were found staffed by both Chinese and the newly downtrodden Japanese woman.

***Sidebar*** Devils on the Doorstep 鬼子來了 [2000] (black comedy originally banned in the PRC), briefly alluded to the desperate situation of post war China's stranded Japanese women. Near the end of the movie, in a brief, yet powerfully poignant scene, two Japanese women, cowering in the shadows, furtively approached the movie's protagonist and offer themselves to be his wives. The implicit message was, that they were willing to be obedient and sexually servile if he would only shelter them from other, vengeful and often deadly Chinese.

#63 ralphrepo, Jul 14, 2009
  4. ralphrepo

George Silk was also a LIFE Magazine staffer, working for them 30 years (LIFE for some reason, seemed to have had an overabundance of photographers named George). He extensively covered many aspects of the second world war, at one point being even captured by the Germans, and then fortunately escaping. He was also the first photographer to document Nagasaki after the atomic bombing. Immediately after the war, he was in China recording the poor social conditions and the lack of resources and its devastating effects on the Chinese populace.

[​IMG]

Entitled During the famine, young child dying in the gutter China MAY [1946] G Silk [RESTORED] I cleaned a few spots, adjusted contrast and darkened tonality for stronger visual impact, and added a sepia tone. The original is behind the spoiler, and can also be viewed at the original link HERE.

[​IMG]
    Whether one reads Anderson's Little Match Girl or sees Takahata's anime adaptation of Nosaka's Grave of the Fireflies one cannot help but be thunderstruck with compassion over the plight of impoverished children, and of China it was no different. In the desperate and unforgiving times of the post war period, China was devastated and its streets overflowed with those least able to fend for themselves. Too young to steal food with sustainable reliability and too old and too many to elicit the short supply of compassion of a war numbed society, child orphans were left to scrape a daily existence from whatever they begged or fought for. More often than not, they lost that fight.

This is not a pleasant image, and indeed I was conflicted about even submitting it. However, in the final analysis, painful as it is, it remained an important historic document of the plight that wars bring to people, and the suffering that it engenders. We as a society today cannot help those that have already succumbed to the grinding poverty effects induced by previous wars. However, before we start any new ones, the least that we can do is remember those thousands of starved children, before we in our eager belligerent hubris, inadvertently create more.

Sources:
    George Silk
    Grave Of The Fireflies

#64 ralphrepo, Jul 17, 2009
  5. ralphrepo

Thomas C Chamberlin was a noted geologist and educator. He founded the famous Journal of Geology in 1893, and was its editor for many years. The journal is an exceptionally well referenced title that remains in publication to this day. His work in US geology is widely recognized as being the bedrock of our current understanding in North American glaciation. He also served as the president of the University of Wisconsin. In his permanent collection of papers held at his alma mater, Beloit College, there is also a large body of photographs that he took whilst traveling on a geologic survey in China.

[​IMG]

Entitled Mouth of Coal Mine in Mountain Ridge West of Ta Chu China MAR [1909] TC Chamberlin [RESTORED] I removed the majority of scratch and spot defects (many remain) and discoloration; adjusted tonality, added contrast and a sepia tone. The original is behind the spoiler 1 and can also be viewed HERE

[​IMG]
    Mining in China has been a source of livelihood for probably thousands of years. To this day, it remains one of the most dangerous and risky professions the world over, but especially so in China, where there is comparatively little oversight and many illegal operations. During the early 1900's, Chinese coal extraction for most small village operations didn't differ much from the process of today. People needed to climb into a hole and manually extract chunks of coal, using whatever tools they had on hand. A shed (seen in the above picture) generally housed the entrance to the mine. Digging was supported by a constant trail of tunnel retention structure construction; as a tunnel was dug deeper, wood or bamboo supporting columns and cross braces (to prevent deadly cave ins) were erected. Light was supplied by dim oil lamps. The mines were hot, wet (subject to frequent floods) and physically draining; serious injury and death were common.

Excerpt from an article in The Scientific Monthly, Vol V, July to December 1917 New York, The Science Press 1917 (Title is PDF download link) :

***Sidebar*** I have not been able to figure out where Ta Chu is. If anyone has any clue, please be so kind as to enlighten the rest of us. TIA -detect

#65 ralphrepo, Jul 19, 2009
  6. ralphrepo

Ernest Henry "Chinese" Wilson was an explorer botanist who traveled extensively to the far east between 1899 and 1918, collecting seed specimens and recording with both journals and camera. About sixty Asian plant species bear his name. One of his most famous photographs (below) has traditionally been mistakenly attributed to another legendary Asian botanist (Joseph Rock). However, the photograph itself also begs controversy.

[​IMG]

Entitled Men Laden With Tea Sichuan Sheng China JUL [1908] EH Wilson [RESTORED] Very little retouching except for a few scratches and spots. Minor contrast and sepia tone added. The original resides in Harvard University Library's permanent collection, and can be found using their Visual Information Access (VIA) Search System by using the title. Under the spoiler is a cropped reprint that appeared in The Cambridge Illustrated History Of China [1996] P Buckley Ebrey p196.

[​IMG]

A simple look at these porters reveals, from their lean bodies, that they appear to routinely undergo physical strain. Neither of them look to be particularly superhumanly strong. Should we then believe that these men were capable of load bearing approximately 300 pounds over rough terrain at high (5000 feet) altitude? That is the controversy. I suspect that Wilson made a mistake; either miscalculating a conversion from Chinese Imperial to European weight measure, or that he believed an inflated figure offered him by a less than honest native. However, others purportedly shared the same beliefs that some porters did in fact, carry upwards of 300 pound loads. In a rare 2003 interview with several retired former porters, still alive and in their 80's (see excerpt behind second spoiler); they stated that while the average was really more between 60-110 Kg; they acknowledged that some (only the very strongest) could shoulder a superhuman 150 Kg load; someone like Chang Woo Gow, or one of his kin, perhaps?

I personally am six feet; had been in the military (I weighed 175 lbs at the time), and had once passed the New York City Fire Department physical exam (both examples known to be physically invested), so I've personally experienced and also seen others carry loads. The load bearing requirements for both those endeavors are generally considered to be extreme, but they come nowhere near that of 300 pounds. Just walking alone for a few kilometers on a flat surface with 40 Kg worth of material on your back, I can attest is already exhausting. To imagine tripling that weight, walk for over 180 kilometers over mountain trails, and breathe rarefied air? I would say it's downright impossible. Considering all of the above, I myself highly doubt that typical carry loads was anywhere near 300 pounds. This of course leads to another question. A look at the first spoiler will reveal a page from a noted historical text, that repeats the stated weight of 300 pounds (in Chinese, as 136 Kilogram). The author (Buckley-Ebrey) of the text obviously took Wilson's label at face value and without question. This may have helped to perpetuate a mistake, mistruth, or rendered perceptually common that which was only a case of an extreme example. This is a perfect reminder that like anything else, we need to treat history too, with a high index of suspicion. We need to ask questions if something doesn't seem right, reasonable, or just not humanly possible.

#66 ralphrepo, Jul 24, 2009
  7. ralphrepo

The Ming Tombs have not always been a very popular attraction. For hundreds of years, they basically sat with little interest by the general population. To date, only one of the 13 known tombs has been excavated (and even that was a disaster). Except for a few passing westerners who took pictures of the Disney-esque over sized stone animals, the whole complex was widely and generally ignored. If that wasn't bad enough, during the mid 20th century, upheavals within the PRC caused the one known opened underground necropolis (that of Emperor Zhū Yìjūn 朱翊鈞 aka Wanli) to be ransacked and almost destroyed by political extremism.

A notation from Wiki's page:

[​IMG]

The original title is not known. However, the picture is recognized as being that of the ShenGong ShengDe Stele (inscribed tablet) Pavilion, that is an integral part of the Sacred Way (aka Spirit Way) of the Ming Tombs just outside of Beijing PRC. The image seems to have been taken c1900, and attribution is not known [RESTORED]. I retouched out the obvious spots and defects, evened the tone of the sky, adjusted contrast and tone. The original unrestored image, found on LIFE magazines' free archive search via Google, can be seen behind the spoiler.

[​IMG]
    The ShenGong ShengDe Stele Pavilion (aka the Tablet Pavilion) is the third structure that one would encounter upon entering the Ming Tomb complex (The first being the Stone Memorial Archway, and the second being Dahong Gate). Beyond it lies the long walkway with the famous statues of stone animals and Ming ofiicials. It is also known as the Stele Pavilion of Divine Merits and Sacred Virtue of Changling. The pavilion was completed in 1435 during the 10th and last reigning year of Ming Emperor Zhū Zhānjī 朱瞻基 (ruled 1425-1435). It was originally of wood construction, but after a roof collapse the structure was replaced with one of stone, completed during the 52nd year of Qing Emperor Hónglì's 弘曆 (aka Qianlong) reign, in 1787 (ruled 1735-1796). The pavilion houses a 50 ton stele, with an inscription composed by Ming Emperor Zhū Gāochì 朱高熾 (aka RenZong, ruled 1424-1425). The text lauds the great achievements, merits and virtues of his predecessor, Ming Emperor Zhū Dì 朱棣 (aka Yongle, ruled 1402-1424), that was buried in the Changling Tomb. The back and side of the stele also bears poems by Qing Emperors Hónglì 弘曆 and Yóngyǎn 顒琰 (aka Jiaqing, ruled 1796-1820). Four white marble HuaBiaos (ie ornamental pillars) outside form a quadrangle; the pavilion is positioned in the middle of the four pillars, in a direct line with the seven kilometer long path known as the Sacred or Spirit Way.

Luckily, China and it's people have awoken to the value of preserving its history, and cultural locations like the Tombs have been safeguarded from further decay. There is little rush to open up any of the other sealed underground vaults until the PRC government is assured that the contents, once removed, can be fully protected. In one sense, I lament that I won't be around to see it. But on the other hand, my children, or their children; and indeed, the Chinese people as a whole, would have the benefit of a recovered culture that would better withstand the rigors of time. That's probably the best outcome that any historian can wish for. Behind the last spoiler, a closer view of the pavilion from various points in time:

[​IMG]

#67 ralphrepo, Jul 30, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  8. ralphrepo

While trolling through the Prints and Photographs Online Catalog pages of the US Library of Congress, using a general search term of "China" I came across this very interesting image. Like any municipality, there is a thin line between law and order versus crime and chaos. Law enforcement in late 19th century Canton (modern day Guangzhou) used whatever means necessary in order to hold that line and protect life and property. The photo was taken by an unidentified work for hire photographer for the Underwood and Underwood Company (one of several stereoscope image businesses that provided western civilization with a visual taste of the late 1800's to early 1900's world at large).

[​IMG]

Entitled Bridges by which the night police of the roofs cross the streets, Canton, China [1900] Underwood & Co. [RESTORED] It is listed in the US LOC under Reproduction Number LC-USZ61-929. It is from half of a paired stereoscope image. I made the usual corrections of spot and defect removal, contrast and tonal improvements, along with removal of the arched upper border (typical of stereoscope images). The original is behind the spoiler and can also be viewed by clicking the title.

[​IMG]
    This is a rare image. In all the years that I've been looking at photographs, I do not remember having encountered a photograph of what is essentially an overpass walkway in a 19th Century Chinese city. If one is to take the wording of the image as gospel, then it seems that there was a dedicated nightly police squad that patrolled the rooftops of Canton. This obviously points out that if the police took the time and efforts to set up such an elaborate defense system, then one has to assume that rooftop break ins were routine. Thus, it was enough for Qing officials to justify the expenditure of building overpasses for their officers to do nightly rounds on. In the middle of the photograph, at the end of the long line of roofs appears what looks like several individuals. Police? Thieves? Western photographers? If anyone finds another example of this, or a historical discussion; please post a link.

#68 ralphrepo, Aug 7, 2009
  9. ralphrepo

Carlton Harlow Graves was the owner of CH Graves Company (one of his many business titles), another one of several stereoscope picture view companies that imaged the world extensively in the hopes of bringing esoteric views to jaded westerners. He eventually sold out to Underwood & Co. in 1910, and it is presumed that his work then went to Keystone View when Underwood itself was later sold to them. CH Graves Company also used the work of other paid photographers, and Herbert Ponting is suspected of being Graves' actual source of China images.

[​IMG]

Entitled Chinese children at play the dragon's head [1902] CH Graves (but likely H Ponting) [RESTORED] I retouched out some minor spot and scratches, adjusted the tone and contrast, and finally added a sepia tone. The image is from the right of a stereoscope pair. The originals (two in this case) can be seen under the spoiler. The earlier one is attributed to CH Graves in 1902, while the later one, presumably reprinted and sold when Keystone View Co had possession of Graves collection, listed only the title without any attribution.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    I simply love this picture. Early 1900s Chinese children were hardly ever at ease enough to unabashedly play in front of a western photographer. They're either too scared, shy, or mesmerized by the photographer's operation to ever engage in what they would otherwise do normally if the westerner wasn't present. Like all kids one would expect them to be playing, and this rare image successfully captures that. In a collaborative effort, five boys acrobatically form the head of a dragon. This provides ample evidence that traditional folklore and myth was already inculcated into the Chinese psyche at an early age, enough that Children use the imagery from them to acrobatically create imaginary creatures during their frolic and gambol.

#69 ralphrepo, Aug 8, 2009
  10. ralphrepo

Italian Lieutenant Ernesto Burzagli was a young naval attache at the time, and had been posted to the far east, traveling as an observer with Japanese forces as they swept up the Liaodong Peninsula (then spelled Liao-Tung) in their route of the Far East Forces of Tsar Nicholas the Second, during the Russo-Japanese War 1904-1905. Luckily for us, Burzagli was also an avid photographer, using what we would call cutting edge equipment for those times. Burzagli later rose to the rank of admiral, and was also an important figure in Italian politics until he fell from grace after the rise of Benito Mussolini.

[​IMG]

Entitled simply as Bodoi (4) [RESTORED] From other notes and photographic evidence, the image was taken on 02 JAN 1905, after the Japanese navy successfully besieged Port Arthur (Lushun, or known today as the western end of Dalian) and Dalny (Dalian). The picture was taken in the northwest areas just outside of Dalny. From other pictures in the collection, it appears that Japanese forces were inspecting and occupying abandoned Russian defenses. I removed obvious spots, stains, and discoloration; evened the tone of the sky, and added a sepia tone. The original can be seen behind the spoiler.

[​IMG]
    This is a very interesting shot in that it is a rare example of the use of a swing lens panoramic camera. Previously, most attempts at panoramic views involved the sequential taking of photographs from the same location with each subsequent view adjusted a bit to the left or right, but just barely overlapping the view of the previous image. After all the images are processed, the images are then stitched together in sequence, creating a panel that shows a continuous panorama, albeit with a somewhat perspectively disjointed view. A swing lens camera avoided the disjointed perspective by ingeniously recording the panoramic image continuously (instead of continually) on a curved surface (instead of a flat plane like that of a regular camera). The resultant picture usually evidences a telltale central bulge in which the mid portion of the panoramic view seems to curve toward the viewer, whilst the ends on either side seems to recede away. If one were to visually see the same wide angled view with their own eyes, one would start by looking to one's side (over one shoulder) and then turning one's head until you're looking to the opposite side (over your other shoulder). This effectively mimics a swing lens camera's angle of view. The camera's lens would start from one side of the panoramic view and rotate around a central axis until it ends at the other side of the panoramic view, much like a person turning one's head. This made it possible for some early examples of photographic antics, as a slow lens rotational speed during the exposure allowed a person standing on one end of the panoramic view, after having been already recorded onto film, to quickly run to the other side of the panoramic view before the lens views it, and thus be recorded again. In the final photograph, the subject would be seen twice (once on each end of the film image).

*** Sidebar *** On a personal note, swing lens cameras are blast to work with. I've had the joy and pleasure of owning both 35MM and 2 1/4 swing lens panoramics, and the images that one gets from them are simply stunning. I'm personally hoping that someone out there will manufacture a reliable digital version, and in the 20+ Megapixel count range (though it would probably cost an arm and a leg, or at least a second mortgage, LOL...).

#70 ralphrepo, Aug 10, 2009
  11. ralphrepo

Hedda Morrison was a tremendous resource for images from the latter part of the Republican China years, photographing extensively with a 2 1/4 Rolleiflex Twin Lens (my personal roll film favorite) during her 13 year stay in China (from 1933 - 1946). Coincidentally, she then married into the family of and bears the name of another very famous China photographer; she married George Ernest Morrison's son, Alastair in 1946. Besides photography in China, she was also known for a large body of image work in Malaysia and Australia (where she died in 1991). Her husband, generously donated her life's work, divided between Harvard University and Australia's Power House Museum of Science & Design.

[​IMG]

Entitled Young mother carrying a child on her back in the market, Hong Kong Island [c1946] H Morrison [RESTORED] Minor spot repairs, contrast adjustments and a final sepia tone. The original is behind the spoiler, and resides in Harvard University's Hedda Morrison Photographs of China collection, and can be found by their VIA search engine.

[​IMG]
    A simply delightful shot of a young woman with a baby carried in the traditional manner of Chinese village women, using a Mei Tai. Many of the modern and newly manufactured baby slings don't come close to the simplicity that Chinese mothers have long discovered in a simple square piece of cloth.

#71 ralphrepo, Aug 14, 2009
  12. ralphrepo

In the closing days of the Qing empire, a Polish rail engineer Joseph Skarbek, working under the auspices of the French Society of Colonial Engineers, participated in building a rail link between Kaifeng and Luoyang, in Henan province. He spent three years (1906 - 1909) on his job, but while there also indulged in a personal passion for photography. He ultimately produced approximately five hundred glass plate negatives (no small feat for anyone who's ever worked with them) that covered things that he witnessed professionally (like the rail that he was working on) to the mundane slice of life that was rural Henan in the early 1900's. A small limited display of his images are at this LINK however, it is unfortunately in French (the 3 thematic links on the bottom will each show an index page with images, however). Another site called Zenfolio has better sized, but an even limited number of images. Another Link, also in French, had a great description of Skarbek's time in China is behind the spoiler:

[​IMG]

Entitled Chinese women in festive costume, Henan China [c1906] J Skarbek [RESTORED]. I removed obvious defects, adjusted contrast, and added a sepia tone (original is behind the spoiler).

[​IMG]
    According to Zenfolio's site, Skarbek's images of rural Henan are supposedly the earliest such photographic documentation for that region. Despite their mainly self serving purposes in China, one cannot deny that had Europeans not engaged China in such a fashion, many such photographs probably never would have been taken at all.

#72 ralphrepo, Aug 23, 2009
  13. ralphrepo

The Sidney D. Gamble collection at Duke University continues to be a wealth of images that are both artistically compelling as well as providing a window into the past. It remains one of my personal favorites. Behind the spoiler, a short synopsis from the collections title page:

[​IMG]

Entitled: Jade Belt Bridge & boat, Summer Palace, taken on the grounds of the Summer Palace in Peking, China [c1924] SD Gamble [RESTORED] A few spots and other minor defects removed, contrast and tonal adjustments, with a final Sepia addition (original is behind the spoiler).

[​IMG]
    玉帶橋 or the Jade Belt Bridge (alternatively also known as the Camel Back Bridge) is probably the most famous of several bridges on the grounds of the old Qing Summer Palace. Thousands of contemporary tourist photos of it flood the net as its beauty remains timeless despite nearly two and a half centuries. Note, it should not be confused with the much older and longer Precious Belt Bridge, another span that was built during the Tang and restored in the Ming, that is located near Suzhou. According to Wiki:

Also within the collection, is a extraordinary and rare movie that Gamble and his companions took while in china. It is being hosted also on YouTube, and linked here (apologies to PRC viewers if YouTube is still blocked). The modern addition of a thematic soundtrack is rather banal. The moving images themselves bespeak loudly and IMHO, the music chosen is rather an annoying distraction. Still, the footage is a must see:

[video=youtube;RFtpjR6uYnI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFtpjR6uYnI"[/video]

#73 ralphrepo, Aug 27, 2009
  14. ralphrepo

Richard Nixon is widely acknowledged as being the first US president to visit China. However, he was only the first sitting US president to do so (that is, he visited China as an official part of his duties). Previous US presidents, both before and after serving in that office, had already beaten him to the punch. Eg. Herbert Hoover, before taking office, was in the foreign legation in Peking during the 1900 Boxer siege; while Ulysses S Grant, the 18th US President, visited China as a part of his world tour upon the completion of his second term.

[​IMG]

This image has no title, and was likely taken by an anonymous Chinese photographer (at Qing government direction) in Tientsin, China [1879] during Ulysses S. Grant's visit there with notable Chinese Viceroy Li Hung Chang. [RESTORED] I cleaned up a few spots, adjusted contrast and added a sepia tone. The original can be seen behind the spoiler and is held by the Corbis Collection (another one of those greedy image houses that had laid commercial claim to history's photographs).

[​IMG]
    The image was originally devoid of any background, as it seem that it had been masked and then had its background stripped. This was often done as some photographic backgrounds were considered either too confusing to be reproduced faithfully in newsprint, or inappropriate for the story line (as decided by any random news editor) to be shown. Or, the original photo may have included minor underlings or servants that an editor wanted to eliminate. Grant undertook his world tour to drum up support after closing his second term in the wake of scandal. He was well received abroad, and in fact, was afforded a hero's welcome just about everywhere he went. While in China, Grant was asked to mediate competing land claims of the Ryukyu Islands between China and Japan.

A book entitled Grant's Tour Around The World written in 1880 by JF Packard, can be downloaded freely from Google Books ( 2 links: PDF or ePUB ). Behind the 2nd spoiler is a short excerpt, that includes the setting for what I believe to be for the taking of this photo:

More than 30 years later, remembering Grant's visit to China, and in one of the final official international acts of diplomacy by the Qing dynasty government, Rear Admiral Chin Pih Kwang of the Imperial Chinese navy, lands in New York City with a contingent of Chinese Navy "Blue Jackets" to lay a wreath at Grant's tomb (behind last spoiler):

#74 ralphrepo, Aug 28, 2009
  15. ralphrepo

In one of China's oddest events, the European penchant for racing about the world once produced a contest that included the Qing Chinese capital as its starting point.

The Peking to Paris Race of 1907 was a spectacle for both Chinese and Europeans observers alike, and involved a distance of over 8000 miles. The prize was just one single bottle of Mumm's Champagne, not much in monetary terms, but obviously the winner will have had tremendous crowing rights. The idea initially sprang from a public challenge (behind 1st spoiler) issued by French newspaper Le Matin (1883-1944), with an initial response of 40 entries. However, it was thereafter officially canceled as only 5 teams were able to ship cars and appeared at the schedule start point in Peking. Nonetheless, the small group of viable contestants decided to run the race anyway, and the rest is storied history. Since then, there have been various reenactments of this special race, but none has yet retraced the exact route of the original.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Entitled Peking to Paris Auto Race Peking, China [1907] attribution unknown [RESTORED] I removed spots and minor defects, cleaned the sky, adjusted contrast, and added a sepia tone. The original is behind the second spoiler, and is another commercially trapped image held by Corbis, one of the many stock image companies that have ripped off history to make their profits.

For anyone that wants to read a fascinating narrative and see other photographs about this extraordinary transcontinental event, you can freely download (from Google Books) a copy of:

Pekin to Paris: an account of
    Prince Borghese's journey across two continents in a motor-car, 1908 written by Luigi Barzini (originally in Italian, translated into English), New York, Mitchel, Kennerley ( Links here: PDF or ePUB )

The race was hobbled by the total lack of infrastructure and poor almost nonexistent roads. All the vehicles had to be pulled over muddy obstacles and some were unable to even climb the steep hills, requiring Chinese laborers to be involved at almost every step. One team got lost in the Gobi Desert and nearly died. The race was ultimately won by Prince Borghese of Italy in 62 days. But even his team suffered what seemed to be insurmountable difficulties, as detailed in the above account. Behind the spoiler, an excerpt from the book:

#75 ralphrepo, Aug 29, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  16. Glyceryl

Glyceryl Member

wow those r interesting...

17. ralphrepo

Edward & Benjamin W. Kilburn of New Hampshire owned another one of the myriad number of Stereoview companies during the close of the 19th century. They were generally referred to and operated under the title of BW Kilburn Co., or as Kilburn Brothers. Amassing over 100.000 images (including some with many variations of one view site), they sustained a business from the 1860's until bought out by rival Keystone in 1909. Their products were principally focused on views of the United States (especially those of Yellowstone, or other natural surrounds). However, they are also credited with a collection that contained a substantial number of views from the Chinese interior.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Entitled The Wall of Peking guarded by the Russian artillery, Peking China [c1900] BW Kilburn Company [RESTORED] The image is from the right half of a stereoview card. I rotational corrected for a tilted horizon, increased the contrast, and added a sepia tone. The image was remarkably clean with very little spots or defects. The original is housed by the US Library of Congress under Reproduction Number LC-USZ62-137104, and can be seen under the first spoiler.

This is a fairly rare image as it shows Russian troops atop the walls of Peking. Most stereoviews images of the time unfortunately seemed to prefer capturing either American or British troops, and did not render records of other nationals to the same abundant degree.

During the close of the 1900 rebellion, the Russians (along with the Germans) reportedly were especially brutal and cruel during the post Boxer uprising mop up. They allegedly wildly raped women, killed almost every Chinese they encountered in villages determined as those of boxer sympathy, looted and then fired the homes of innocent locals. The Qing government, eager to placate the foreign powers that allowed it back onto the Forbidden City throne, literally went out of their way to provide official sanctions for these boxer "clean up" operations. Ultimately, it is suspected that thousands of innocent Chinese (along with perhaps a few hundred genuinely guilty boxers or opportunist criminals) were killed in the post rebellion period. Surprisingly, the most civil and relatively well behaved of the lot were the Japanese and the Americans.

In this photograph then, that Russian troops are on the Peking City walls calmly being photographed indicates that this picture was probably taken some time after the cessation of Boxer hostilities. Another confirmation comes from the consolidation of the various Russian artillery field pieces in close proximity on top of the wall. This reveals that they're being held in storage rather than actual deployment (where the expectation would be that they be spread out to facilitate quicker and smoother combat operations). Another indication is that the area seems to be "guarded" by a local, albeit only armed with an obsolete Gingal (also Jingal; a large cumbersome type of muzzle load musket), that generally needed two people to hold before it can be fired (see behind second spoiler).
    [​IMG]
    From left to right: Japanese soldiers with captured Boxer Rebellion weapons including several gingals; hunter using gingal with young assistant; drawing demonstrating how to properly employ gingal for military use (drawing seems of modern origins); and showing how long the barrel lengths on gingals can be.
    The image is that of a section of the Peking city fortifications. The greater part of the defensive wall was built in the mid 15th century. It had a length of 23.5 km, and bore a ground thickness of approximately 20 meters (inclusive of the counterforts). Its height reached 15 meters and it had a top thickness of 12 meters. It had nine inner (Tartar) city gates, with an additional seven for the outer (native) city; the Imperial City was ensconced within middle of the Tartar city, and finally the Forbidden City was nested within the Imperial City. Its outer perimeter is fully surrounded by a shallow moat. The outer wall had stood for over half a millennium. It was mostly removed in 1965 for urban renewal projects by Beijing authorities. Unfortunately, today there is very little that remains of the actual wall. (Map is behind third spoiler).
    The photograph seems to have been recorded from inside of one of the towers, another being seen in the receding distance. At the bottom left is also the open doorless gate of a ramp providing access up to the wall. A similar gated ramp is also seen in the distance below the left of the wall. On the first buttressing counterfort, a group of pitched tents are seen. In the mid ground are three unadorned flag poles.

***Sidebar*** Vegetation easily grew on old Chinese fortress walls as wind scattered seeds commonly lodged into cracks and crevices. Additionally, these walls were typically only simple tamped earth structures covered by a hard brick or stone shell. Successive rains would saturate the earth, while the outer brickwork would prevent easy evaporation. This ensured that the earth within would remain a perpetually favorable and receptive environment for the propagation of roots. Unattended structures of this kind would quickly became overrun by foliage in a short number of years.

#77 ralphrepo, Sep 11, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  18. ralphrepo

Another interesting image from the Thomas C Chamberlin permanent collection held at Beloit College.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Entitled Fight between labor factions at Kia Ting China APR [1909] TC Chamberlin [RESTORED] I cleaned up obvious spots and defects, added contrast, adjusted the tonal quality and added a sepia. The original can be seen behind the spoiler, or at TC Chamberlin's collection via this LINK.

I found this image noteworthy, as it is probably the first that I've seen of turn of the 20th Century violent Chinese labor unrest. It's one thing to read in a history book about workers being unhappy. It's quite another to see them going at each other's throats. Many laborers formed cliques in order to collectively protect similar interests. When one group got the better deal, it is easy to understand how such tensions resulted in physical altercation and violence. Western photographers typcially photographed pleasant scenery or views of grandeur. It is indeed rare to see that a westerner thought enough of Chinese labor anger to quickly take a photographic record of it. Given the unwieldy technology of the times, this was a seredipitous and impressive shot.

***Sidebar*** From the Romanization of Kia Ting, I haven't been able to figure out exactly where that is. If anyone has a better clue please give me an idea. TIA ;)

#78 ralphrepo, Sep 11, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  19. ralphrepo

Herbert Clarence White was one of a pair of missionary brothers that had visited and worked in China. While there, he produced a wonderful volume of photographs that were then published in a 1927 book collection entitled Peking the Beautiful (cover behind first spoiler). A copy of this rare volume is held by the New York Public Library collection, and can be seen in their online digital gallery.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Entitled The Meridian Gate Entrance to the Forbidden City Peking China [1927] HC White [RESTORED] Spot and minor defect corrections, contrast and tonal adjustments were made to visually enhance image. Original is behind spoiler or can be seen at the NYPL Digital Gallery (linked above).

This has always been one of my favorite Forbidden City photographs. To me, the gentle chiaroscuro in the image exemplifies the quiet grace of Chinese culture, but at the same time, testifies also to the formidable strength and endurance of the Chinese spirit; a truly timeless image.

Built in the early 1400's the Forbidden City served as the imperial palaces of both the Ming and Qing Dynasties. After the end of the Chinese monarchy and in the early years of republican China, the entire Forbidden City was declared a national museum. During the Chinese civil war, many of its treasures were removed by Chinese nationalists to Taiwan for safeguarding, where they remain to this day (National Palace Museum of Taipei). It was declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1987. It is probably one of the world's best known monuments and is a favorite destination for tourists, Chinese and foreign alike. Its intense popularity remains a double edged sword though, as the high volume of visitors and commercialization of the site unfortunately also endangers it. Several years ago, a Starbuck's Coffee franchise was removed from its grounds after public outcry.

Several related PA Threads of interest for those that want to learn more about the Forbidden City and the Chinese Emperors. All threads have links to very informative Youtube videos, either in English or with English subtitles:

The Forbidden City
    Chinese Emperors Across The Ages
    China in Years Gone By

#79 ralphrepo, Sep 18, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  20. ralphrepo

Dr Charles-Édouard Hocquard was a French military medical officer assigned to the Tonkin Annam area during the Sino-French war of 1884-1885. He witnessed many of the battles when French forces fought against native Tonkinese and their Chinese allies. He was also a photographer of stellar ability, rendering hundreds of images that allows a modern viewer a serious and detailed look into the past of that region, what is known today as the northern part of Vietnam (at the time, that area belonged to the Chinese and was coveted by the French for their colonial expansion). Not only did Doctor Hocquard concern himself photographically with French military and medical matters, he astutely and meticulously recorded the lives and social matters of the locals. He also authored one of the first serious French titles into the lives of the inhabitants there. His work, entitled War and Peace in Hanoi and Tonkin: A Field Report of the Franco-Chinese War and on Customs and Beliefs of the Vietnamese (1884-1885) (available free on Google Books but in French) was recently translated into English.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Entitled Soldat regulier chinois [c1884] CE Hocquard [RESTORED] The image is also often referred to as Black Flag Soldier. It was taken within an unrecorded location of the Tonkin region. I removed spots and minor defects, adjusted tone and contrast. The original is behind the spoiler and can also be seen at page linked to the title.

During the Sino-French war of 1884-1885, French military forces fought against the local Tonkinese and their Chinese allies. Liu Yongfu 劉永福, a Hakka Chinese, at the fall of the Taiping Heavenly Kingdom 太平天國, took remnants of defeated Taiping forces from Guangxi China and fled across the Qing border into Tonkin 東京, the uppermost province of Annam 安南 (meaning pacified south, what we know of today as the northern part of Vietnam). Annam was a vassal state to the Qing; many Chinese however, at the time flatly considered Annam to simply be the southern most province of China.

After many years on the run as a bandit force, Liu Yongfu eventually consolidated his forces into what was then known as the Black Flag Army, conscripting mostly from the Zhuang people (presently recognized by the PRC as an ethnic minority of the Guangxi and Yunnan regions). Supposedly, the Black Flag Army got its name because of Liu's preference for using black command flags to signal his units. The Black Flag Army was notoriously brutal and fought the French successfully on multiple occasions, and had initially received the backing of the Empress dowager (since she needed any help she could get in the Chinese attempt to drive out the French). Over the course of the war, French and Chinese backed forces fought to a standstill. However, after the resounding defeat of Chinese naval forces in the Battle of Foochow, and the French capture of Formosa, the Qing eventually decided to cede Annam to the French as Chinese fears of Japanese expansionism was more profound (the imperial government feared that a protracted engagement with the French would drain resources and weaken their readiness to stand against Japanese colonial intent, especially in regards to Korea). Under a negotiated peace, Formosa was returned to China and Annam was given to the French. The Black flags were thus ordered disbanded. Many black flag soldiers reverted back to simple banditry. Liu Yongfu returned to China, where he received a military appointment in Guangdong under the Qing government.

In the photo above, the picture is often labeled as Black Flag Soldier. I personally doubt that any Black Flag or Chinese soldier would have easily obliged the French photographer by posing for a picture. Note, there seems to be another flag staff laying on the ground to the right background. I suspect that these were really captured items and Hocquard used them as props or illustrations.

#80 ralphrepo, Sep 24, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2009