Should the Chinese forgive the Japanese?

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by johnnyDANGerous, Jul 31, 2006.

?

Should the Chinese forgive the Japanese?

1. Yes, let begones be begones. We need to forget and move on.

80 vote(s)
    41.2%
  2. Absolutely not. What they did was terrible and do not deserve forgiveness.

80 vote(s)
    41.2%
  3. No comment regarding this issue.

34 vote(s)
    17.5%
  1. Lazy06

Lazy06 Member

Well they didn't do anything to me but hearing all the bad things that happened back then from my parents i don't think that chinese and japanese will get along well

2. Supra

Supra Well-Known Member

jap are fags. that is why chinese hates them so much right now. ever since i took history, i cant believe what i heard. after watching this movie, i realized what jap did was even unforgivable. i hope we can demolish japan for what they had did to us. this would tell them how it feels to get rape in the ass. anyways, what happened after the rape of nanking?

3. yayitzmonica

yayitzmonica Well-Known Member

i watched enough dramas(TVB!) to say that the japs were so mean -.- they wrote in their own history books that they were not wrong!! they put that we attacked first and that is sooo not true!!! i would have forgiven them if they admitted that they were wrong, but they blamed us!!!!! -nono

4. chariot28

chariot28 Active Member

I don't know all the facts about what Japan has done and said. I've heard the atrocities and yes, Japan should admit their wrong doings and say sorry, etc.

However, although this is a shameful thing to say, I'm honest enough to admit that what happened in WWII has less significance to me than it does to my grandparents. They're livid about the Japanese and quite rightly. However although I'm angry, I am not outraged. This is because I didn't experience WWII directly and so it has less of an impact. I know this is really superficial of me, but that's the way I feel.

What matters to me is how Japan is acting today? Do normal japanese people despise us and think us inferior? If so, f*ck them. 'Rattling our Sabres' and demanding Japan give compensation makes us look petty. China has huge economic and military might. It should just ignore Japan and move on.

(PS: If China really wants to get even, it should quietly build an economic situation that cons Japan into recession and let China profit from it!)

Otherwise, just let it be...

C

5. adrianc

adrianc Well-Known Member

The problem is that they don;t admitted what they did. It is like it never happened. I think it would be different if they admitted it.

6. wilsont06

wilsont06 Well-Known Member

not only that but they also tricked our Chinese soldiers into thinking that if we surrender they will spare us by issuing a "certificate", and they never kept their words. then they round up all the Chinese soldiers and buried them alive. Ultimately the Chinese deserve apology and recognition.

7. foocc

foocc Member

no, the japanese still haven't even told their country the truth about what happened

8. Shizuke

Shizuke Member

After reading this thread.. I feel that yes.. we should forgive them.
    But, I also feel like.. if they haven't recorded the truth in their history then thats wrong. I feel that we do deserve an apology and an honest truth on their side.
    But other than the altering of the truth behind history, I feel people should move on.
    In the 21st century, whats the use to forever hold a grudge?
    This did occur in a "World War". I mean.. cruelty are what wars..
    Show me a war that has not been cruel to either side..
    I mean with a war there are always going to losses.
    I feel we should let it pass us as we move on.. Whats important is to prevent any more wars in the future..
    Humans by nature are cruel for its own desires.. Ignoring others.. selfish.. the self will always come before others.

9. bonbon2

bonbon2 Member

Well, I think we should forgive, because look people usually go into war to gain peace. I mean if we can have that y not be happy. We live in such a different society from before. It's going to be like impossible for people to forget all that's happened in the past, but y live life in hate.

10. kaungkinmoe

kaungkinmoe Member

the only thing i can say is that u cannot change what had happened. for the japanese instead of trying to cover up the whole history, they can just say what they did. i know it's very difficult for them to admit what they had done. but they should at least acknowledge the facts rather than refusing to do so. i think this is what is killing the Chinese ppl. it's hard to forgive someone who doesn't acknowledge his or her mistakes. and what makes matter worse is the Jap's denial.

11. sephiroth123

sephiroth123 Member

the jap so arrogant and they even try to change the history.. the chinese shouldn not forgive them

12. Rhane

Rhane New Member

The excuse that the Japanese haven't even told their own country about the truth of their past isn't really a valid one. No country would voluntarily do that: it'd be like showing anti-patriotism. Look at North Americans, we don't exactly know what happened with the Natives. In our textbooks, we're not told of all the grusome killings, trickery and slavery that went on between the Native Indians and the British who first colonzied North America. We're told, "Yeah some stuff went on but the point is that the British took over the Natives land and we now live on this soil." Yes, North American governments try to accomodate to the Natives -- giving them reservations and all but that's nothing compared to what occured in the past. And it's not like the Natives are better off right now -- in Canada, Native people generally have the worst end of almost everything and we're not told any of this either. Everything that I, personally, know about this topic I read in published papers that were neither textbooks or newspapers. Countries aren't going to admit that they did something wrong, it's like lowering your pride.

Anyways, my opinion is that forgiveness is an iffy topic, especially for Asian countries, but no one should ever forget what went on in WWII between China and Japan. But you never know what might happen, especially these days with China's economy booming and, in many people's opinions, eventually surpassing Japan's -- such social problems may smooth out in this inclination of Chinese power and influence on the world.

13. countryboy

countryboy Well-Known Member

for all those who said to forgive and forgot:

Is It Nothing to You? Lest We Forget. History ALWAYS repeats whenever we forget.

And, I just saw a lot you forgot....

14. tWiNs_4_LiFe

tWiNs_4_LiFe Well-Known Member

My family and friends say chinese should forgive the japanese although what they did was wrong but I think that us chinese should not forgive the japanese because they killed many chinese unless they admit they did something wrong and apologise to the country!!!

Other than that, i think we can forgive japanese due to the latest technologies they have been producing making some lives much more better

15. Morgaine

Morgaine Well-Known Member

Everything you wrote was pretty close to what I was thinking.

I haven't followed this story in a few months, so I don't know what's changed. It does anger me that the Japanese won't acknowledge what they did, in their history books or in their schools. If you're man enough to praise your people for doing a "good job", you should really record exactly what that "good job" was.

But to outright hate a group of people for something they did not do directly (i.e. to hate the younger generation) is unfair to that generation. They can't be held accountable for their ancestors. If people continue to hate other people for past atrocities, the world would just end up hating everyone else forever. Atrocities happen in wars - rape, death, etc. - it shouldn't be forgotten, but it shouldn't be held over the "offender"'s head forever.

16. countryboy

countryboy Well-Known Member

Japan's annual military budget is about the same as China. Remember___China has a million men army most of the cost is salaries and China has enemy[unfriendly states] on all its borders; thats why China needs so much troops.
    It makes you think why a peaceful{HAHAHA} country like Japan needs such a large defence force. Who threatens it? [Oh no, the North Korean are coming, the North Korean are coming...hahaha, dont make laugh] Peaceful my a**.
    Japan's Navy is many times more powerful China's.
    Japan's government is not a TRUE democracy, same people/party rule Japan since afer WWII; they only changes their leaders.

Japan's government considers China to be a threat[WHY? has China threaten to invade Japan?]. That fact alone should alarm ALL Chinese people.

17. b0obie

b0obie Member

there is no way to stay that you can forgive a nation that has caused so much grief for our elders but the past must be left in the past. if epel cannot forgive howwill society move on. constant racism and hate is not any way to live life

18. To me, I really don't care what happened so many years ago. I think what happened in the past should not affect us today.

First of all, with the Christopher Columbus allusion/analogy, a lot of white men still do not admit that they have wronged native Americans. And it's really a false analogy anyway, since the native Americans were completely defenseless against the white men and being wiped out mostly from disease and not from the actually fighting.

Second of all, Chinese people shouldn't completely forget what has happened. It is still history and being able to learn from the past is part of being human. However, don't use it as an excuse to hate another nation. I really think there is too much nationalism dealing with this issue. In one way, it unites the Chinese, and in another way, making globalism impossible.

Chinese people are the not the only ones who have been wronged and textbooks are always biased. I think people should think for themselves. If Japanese children really believe in those textbooks, then they are ignorant, and if Chinese children are hating these Japanese children for being ignorant, then well, dang, everyone is stupid. Once again, humans, in general, make much ado about nothing.

19. roundbunny

roundbunny Member

history does NOT get 'erased' with time. what the japanese people did to the chinese people took place at the same time of the holocaust, but you don't see people who try to 'forget' the holocaust by saying it was a long time ago....

in my opinion, the japanese people need to learn from the germans. german people acknowledge the wrong they have done in the past, and they are good at educating the next generation about it. they even have museums dedicated to the holocaust...! i think the japanese people should acknowledge the facts and apologize for them.

we all have had grandparents/great grandparents who were killed/tortured/raped or affected somehow by their actions. this wasn't so 'distant' into the past.... put yourself in the shoes of the chinese people who were alive at that time. how would you feel...???

20. ann13ch3n

ann13ch3n Member

i really dont know what to say on this subject. sometimes im thinking that maybe we should just forgive the japanese.. but then they did do some pretty cruel stuff to us.. my parents[esp. dad] is still holding a grudge against them. i mean, he sometimes get unhappy knowin that i listen to japanese music and watch jdramas...