Should the Chinese forgive the Japanese?

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by johnnyDANGerous, Jul 31, 2006.

?

Should the Chinese forgive the Japanese?

1. Yes, let begones be begones. We need to forget and move on.

80 vote(s)
    41.2%
  2. Absolutely not. What they did was terrible and do not deserve forgiveness.

80 vote(s)
    41.2%
  3. No comment regarding this issue.

34 vote(s)
    17.5%
  1. lol... its not about who killed the most people in a war....
    one side will always have more casualties then another thats an fact...
    you think USA cared about china? they didnt
    they attacked japan cause they got attacked.. they dropped bombs in japan cause they got attacked first..

USA was neutral first.. japan was just stupid to make another enemy.... so actully thank japan for attacking USA or else the war wouldnt ended that fast without USA reinforcement ;)

2. so if someone murdered someone / your family you really loved and never even aplogized and said it never happened, in 60 years from now you'll say forgive them?

just put yourselves in peoples shoes and you'll get a clearer picture. ignorance is bliss dont even comment if u don't know history and have a good perspective of whats going on.

man its people like you who make history repeat itself.

3. havoc

havoc Well-Known Member

Those figures are merely estimates...the source even stressed that it was difficult to ascertain the correct casualties. And what is missing from the data is the aftermath effects of radiation that spread to nearby regions... The "japanese suffered many times over" did not limit to lost of lives and injuries, but to infrastructures and economies... not to mention the children who were innocent, and came to this world deformed, full of diseases. Many of them also died shortly after.

history also repeats because the future cannot move on from the past ;)

#123 havoc, Jan 7, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2007
  4. adrianc

adrianc Well-Known Member

If the Japanese never tried to invade the Chinese then this would not have happened.

It is a cause of their own doing.

If someone goes into ur house and rape ur wife, sister, mother and force them to become hookers, ur will forgive them? Put a couple of sticks in ur butt and cut ur brothers/uncles up alive., etc, etc.

Now, if the theif never went into the house then there isn;t any problems.

If u catch them and they claim that ur family was fair game because ur were inside the house then what would u say? Forgive them? /

It is not the past, but the lessons learned that is important. And from the lessons learned, something like this should never happen again. But because the Japanese never openly apologised clearly shows that they think it is right to do such a thing, thus there is not "lessons learned" from the Japanese. What they did learn (the reason that they surrender) is that they have less military force and weapons.

In comparision, if you go to Germany and bring up the WWII subject, most Germans would look away from your with guilt even though they have nothing to do with it but their parents.

5. they doesnt look away with guilt... they look away cause they get the blame again for what happened 60 years ago...
    i got of german friends and i always hear story about if they are on vacation they get problem with people if they tell they are from germany.. sometimes even get beaten...

6. havoc

havoc Well-Known Member

Yeah. It's called karma ;) For the most part, the US bombings of Nagasaki and Hiroshima were retaliations from the events of Pearl Harbor. Not much to do with Japanese invading China.

If you've ever read John Hersey's novel HIROSHIMA or seen documentary footage of the post-atomic bomb effects on the people of that city and of Nagasaki, even the most diehard Chinese patriot would probably have to concede that the Japanese have already paid the price for what happened in China during WWII. You have to draw the line somewhere.

These examples are rather common and can be applied to any nation that were invaded or conquered. In ancient times, it was more prevalent and the practice promoted soldiers moral.

There are no set rules of war before the Geneva Convention. One of the common tactics drilled into soldiers is that the enemy is nothing more than animals. Derogatory terms are often used to describe the enemies. The Vietnam war brought out more racist terms of SE asians than any school kids could come up with.

Right. We should all look back at history and try to correct our mistakes to ensure that it never happens again, not remember the past and let it overshadow our futures. I'm glad we can agree on something. -cool

Proud nations and leaders will never admit their mistakes... and the result of not forgiving can only be two. Not forgiving without doing anything about it and live a lifetime of grief. Not forgiving and doing something about it and setting yourself up for a bigger mess. So which dramatic scenerio do you think you want to go?

If not forgiving the Japanese in fact achieves something that could only mean vengeance is in the works. Do you suppose the Chinese should build up a military for a WWIII against the Japanese? It could be that the Chinese is following the way of "for a gentleman's vengeance, 10 years is never too late." Does that sound like a great approach toward it and possibly even a realistic one?

7. adrianc

No it is not KARMA, it is of there own doing. They were stupid enuff to target the US, which is THEIR own doing. The BOMBS were of their own doing because they target the US.

So you think it is right because in ancient times it is done like that? Why not post ur address so the criminals in the states can do the same (it is done like that in the ancient times so it is right and can be forgiven.

I think it is shoot first ask question later, all enemies threaten ur life.

8. havoc

havoc Well-Known Member

Karma - action, seen as bringing upon oneself inevitable results, good or bad.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/karma

ROFL! What does that have to do with anything? Where in my comment did i say "what the japanese did was right"??? My comment simply implied that because there were no set rules of war back then, the japanese were not the only people who commited such acts as you described!

9. adrianc

I'm glad u know how to surf the net and the dictionary. But u definitely misuse the words KARMA when u use in relations to China, but not with the US.

ROFLMAO.

As with the law, it is not the text of law, but the spirit of the law that counts. U implictly implied that is right, as u use it as justification the Japanese actions. There is no need to say it directly.

From what I see in ur writing, u misuse words and imply things to justify.

Feel free to post ur address so the Japanese can go to ur house.

ROFLMAO

#129 adrianc, Jan 8, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2007
  10. havoc

havoc Well-Known Member

No where in my comment did I imply this. There was no implication or connotation. Just a problem of reading comprehension on your part...

*sniggers*

Maybe you need to go back and re-read your post. -noclue You said:

"If the Japanese never tried to invade the Chinese then this would not have happened. It is a cause of their own doing."

The "this" you were referring to is the US bombings, correct? If that it the case, then I don't see why karma cannot be used in this context. The Japanese tried to invade China and were unsuccessful, thus, brought death upon themselves by the US. Tell me, how does that NOT fit the definition? Unless of course, you are making up your own. ;)

ps im going out after this post :D :D :D

11. adrianc

Trying to spin out of it? From a reader's point of view, it is clearly implied. It is ur writing that had the implict message. I need not teach English in a thread.

*sniggers* high school students.

Putting words in other ppl's mouth??? Another way to spin out ? Mind reader? Amazing. :D

12. mint_T

mint_T Well-Known Member

havoc - I'm now pretty sure I can do anything to your family, and you will still forgive me. :D hahah :p

adrianc - So far, I've not come up with an opinion on this matter but just out of curiousity, what would it take for you to forgive the Japanese? It's pretty obvious that your hate runs deep.

13. peachey

peachey Well-Known Member

I thought I've already responded to this thread, but I can't seem to find my post [​IMG]

It's history, it can't be rewritten. The hatred falls on a few people who were in command at the time and shouldn't continue to fall on people who are just associated with them.

However, this issue is obviously going to vary depending on which direction you're coming from... Chinese, Japanese people are obviously going to have different persepectives.

There are a lot more Chinese people here on the forum... so it's obviously expected that there's going to be a stronger opinion towards NO here than in other places.

It depends. Forgiveness and "taking no action" are two different things. You might not forgive them, however, it does not mean that you're going to do anything, or continue to hate them.

14. kk_gigi

kk_gigi Member

I think that was history alreadly.

15. Panda

Panda Well-Known Member

They paid the price? What the hell? Chinese casualties during World War 2 was 35 million people, that is over 1/3 of total Japanese population at the time. Among those include upwards of 10-20 million deaths. The Japanese did not suffer a fraction what the Chinese did. What happened during April of 2005? You obviously don't speak for the "Chinese Patriots."

1930s Japan was not "ancient." You are indirectly implying the justification of the Japanese war crimes:

Maybe you should back up your statements with facts. Who else? What "ancient" events are you talking about?

Regardless, what people did before does not justify what the Japanese did during the 30s and 40s. Also, the Geneva Convention existed back then, which Japan failed to abide by.

16. adrianc

Well, it is not personal.

However, I think to forgive anyone that committed a crime, the person/people has to admit it and regret what they did. The Japanese did none of that but denied all of it even though there were third parties there. An apology that shows regret would most likely make people forgive the Japanese for what happened. It is the righteousness of humanity.

I have made comparsions with Germans, that in fact do regret what had happen in the past with Jews. With that said, the Germans showed that they are human after all.

17. adrianc

Well. how about we approach it this way by answering these questions?

Was a crime commited when Japanese "invaded" China?

Were there witnesses?

What were the Japanese Military force doing in China?

Were anyone killed?

Now. From the Japanese side:

Was there any Chinese in Japan? Were any foreign people in Japan?

Why was the bomb dropped in Japan and why?

18. Err0r

Err0r Well-Known Member

How would answering previously answered questions and re-stating previously known facts help... at all??!

Don't.

19. adrianc

To reinforce the facts. It is also part of deductive reasoning.

20. shortxswt

shortxswt Well-Known Member

I would forgive them but they never gave a apology! Even the Germans apologized to the jewish people why can't they just say a simple sorry?