Siu mai, dumplings( wo-tip),wonton or ha-gau

Discussion in 'The Food Section' started by [N], Jun 11, 2007.

1. BabyRain

BabyRain Doppelgänger of da E.Twin

^Yeah but i prefer steamed than fried.. since it's supposedly healthier.. LOL.
    But who am i kidding.. dim sum is fatty food!!! :p
    I love dim sum tho.

2. Taxloss

Taxloss Stripper Vicar

^yeah I prefer the steamed wontons slightly over the deep fried ones. Can't eat too much of those>>>too Yik Hee.

3. 無得頂

無得頂 Well-Known Member

Hahaha, ya too much "hot air." Need to drink some ginseng tea to balance it out. I wonder why western people don't have the issues regarding "hot air."

4. Taxloss

Taxloss Stripper Vicar

^^ Yup, that's something I really wonder why they don't seem to have any problems with 'hot air' food!
    -ohmy

Can't explain it properly to my friends why I sometimes don't want to eat too much fried things as they never get the symptones we will have if we've eaten too much fried things. Even the term ' hot air' is a weird concept outside the Chinese language.

5. BabyRain

^I think it's because they got used to eating many heaty food as a kid, so they dun haf much of a problem!
    Malays are like that too. they can eat spicy /heaty food all the time and they don't get sore throat or ulcers..
    Me, sometimes I get swollen gum..

6. 無得頂

無得頂 Well-Known Member

I love spicy food, especially when you're all sweating and your tongue becomes stinging and numb and can't taste anything. You should try out sichuan dishes if you like spicy stuff. I suspect babies in sichuan drink spicy milk.

Eating too much deep fried or spicy foods will cause the inside of your mouth to "saang fei ji."

7. BabyRain

^I tried before i think.. not as spicy as i thought.. but maybe coz it's not authentic.
    I love spicy as well. -devil
    i can probably eat more spicy food than a random malay fella.

8. Taxloss

Taxloss Stripper Vicar

^yah, another real spicy food lover here! Ate once sichuan dishes and it was very delicious but if we're in Hk we never go out eating other Chinese style food other than the Canto style or buffets. :(

9. kontradictions

kontradictions Well-Known Member

I prefer Siu Mai. Some places make terrible Ha Gau where the outer layer is really hard. Yuck. Sometimes I put too much hot sauce on my Siu Mai which causes a terrible burning sensation during its exit.

10. aishiteru4

aishiteru4 Well-Known Member

lol... just saw the video.. that's not even siu mai.. its wontons ehhehe

11. Taxloss

Taxloss Stripper Vicar

Eeeewwww....too much information...-sick2

12. 無得頂

無得頂 Well-Known Member

Some places make terrible siu mais too. The pork inside has a weird stench which fills your throat and lungs after you put it in your mouth. No amount of hot sauce could cover up that smell/taste.

13. Dohh_boy

Dohh_boy Well-Known Member

hmmm...this is a toughy. It depends where I am and what mood I'm in. If I go yum cha then the har gow and siu mai are pretty much even at the top. If I'm at home though then I'll cook up some dumplings and wontons.

14. sir_denster

sir_denster Well-Known Member

I Like Them All! :)

15. dreyvii

dreyvii Well-Known Member

Hmmm...someone once explained to me, and from what I understand about heaty food...normally deep fried foods, they are high in fat and carb content. So that increases your metabolism. Your blood vessels tend to dilate at specific places, causing the symptoms of gum and oral mucosal swelling (that's why you sometimes bite your lip), sore throat (also because of the swelling, and also irritation). Some may be flatulent and have constipation ~ all these are due to the high fat and carb content.

Hmmm...well, you owe me one wor tip now!! Hehehe. Whoa...sounds like you had a great dim sum outing. I LOVE siew long pao! Mmmm...the soup is delicious! But you gotta eat it while it's steaming hot though...once it cools down it loses the taste. I like nai wong pao too :)

Yeah, BRain...me too...I'm a dim sum freak. I prefer the steamed ones over the fried ones, cos it tastes more 'ching' and you can really tell if the food is fresh. Yeah, I guess dim sum is fat laden, but doesn't stop me from loving it :)

16. philostrate

philostrate Well-Known Member

babyrain just shared a movie called dumplings, which made of foetus...it's so crunchy and delicious...yummy....

17. BabyRain

^Watch it before your sunday morning dim sum breakfast :p

18. hiake

hiake Vardøgr of da E.Twin

It has unexpected weight loss power! -shock

19. dreyvii

dreyvii Well-Known Member

Ewwww!! Yucks! That just threw me off dumplings!!

20. philostrate

philostrate Well-Known Member

lol it has the rejuvenating power..would you even consider it?