So you think you can cook?

Discussion in 'The Food Section' started by ckthepilot, Jun 4, 2007.

?

Can you cook for reals?

1. No - I rather eat out

7 vote(s)
    12.1%
  2. A little - know a few dishes

34 vote(s)
    58.6%
  3. Yes - cooking is my specialty

17 vote(s)
    29.3%
  1. lee-lee

lee-lee Well-Known Member

^haha. sooo go for congee wong job over the MAC job. need to "yee tow seen"

2. hiake

hiake Vardøgr of da E.Twin

But if you can get MAC at discounted price (I've heard the discount for cosmetic companies are insanely good), you can use that extra cash (savings from buying MAC at discounted price) to worship your GI tract at Congee King/Congee Wong :p

3. brown_bear

brown_bear ☆‧° ☆﹒﹒‧ ☆ ﹒﹒‧☆‧° ☆

i guess i can...i can make pasta :) and salad....and cakes...its juts they're v. limited skills....

4. ribsandbbqbeef

ribsandbbqbeef Well-Known Member

hiake's right. congee is easy once you get the proportion of water to rice down and how long to cook it. The rest of the stuff are just throw ins. You probably didn't cook it the same amount of time your grandmother did or added the ingredients cooked the same way she did.

5. ribsandbbqbeef

I cook pretty much any kind of meat well:

Green Curry Chicken
    Thai BBQ pork chops
    steak
    pepper garlic chicken wings
    rack of lamb
    kalbe and bulgolge

but I suck real bad at cooking vege's. That's my wife's specialty. I pretty much either burn them or they have no taste, or the're waaaaay too salty. Oh well, good thing I don't like 'em.

6. hiake

I am terrible with Curry, but I blame it on the curry powder I get :p

Though my "Portugual Chicken" taste fabulous ;)

Stir frying veggie can be quite problematic as they use LOADS of oil... which I usually avoid doing...

7. ribsandbbqbeef

Oooh, curry is my specialty. My parents, for some reason, knows how to mix real indian curry (one powder for taste, one for color, one for spice), so they taught me when I was younger.

Ooh, Portuguese Chicken is also one of my specialty. But ever since Lee Kum Kee came out with the premade sauce, I've stopped making it from scratch and cheat with that instead; but I still premarinate my own meat before cooking it...

Hmmm, maybe I'm not using enough oil with my veges.....so that's why they're burning lol....

8. brown_bear

-sick2 curries....ewww

9. ribsandbbqbeef

curry head ......... curry head ......... curry head ......... curry head ......... curry head ......... curry head ......... curry head ......... curry head ......... curry head ......... curry head .........

lol, sorry, couldn't resist....that phrase just popped into my head lol...

10. brown_bear

^ you want to explain it?? or is it a private joke....hmm shall i report you....spammer haha j.k

11. ribsandbbqbeef

lol, dunno where it came from....just did. maybe its a private joke with my split personality lol......just report my split persona, don't report me lol....

So what's your favorite food to cook BBear?

12. hiake

LOL, I used to be able to do that (one powder for taste, one powder for colour, one powder for spice), but somehow the grocer I frequent keep on changing owner, so they don't carry the same thing :(

Portugeuese Chicken is one of those good dish to bring for pot luck :p I make it semi-from scratch... With coconut milk and all, but not that I MAKE the coconut milk from coconut myself :p

You got to put LOADS of oil and quite some salt for your vegetables, and no over-cooking! -nono

13. Veincentury

Veincentury Well-Known Member

I cook but with anything Lee Kum Kee sauce next to me. Black bean rib tips(check) Cha sui with hoisin sauce(check) Spare ribs (check) All I need is Lee Kum Kee and I'm good to go.-lol

14. hiake

^ Cheater -nono

15. brown_bear

hahaha....nah i'll let you off this time -lol.....hmmm my specialty would be cakes and cookies more :)....mebe i'll make some later on in the week and show you pics i'll see.....in dishes i can make pasta dish :).....

16. Veincentury

Veincentury Well-Known Member

Lol, or whoever does it better should make it. In my case Lee Kum Kee.-tongue2

17. nyckeion

nyckeion ....Boo....

cant cook even if my life depended on it and its the honest truth

18. ribsandbbqbeef

hiake, ask one of your indian friends or find an indian grocery store. They will always have the powders you need. My parents buy the curry powder from a nearby indian shop mart.

Wow, scary how alike people think. That's what I used to bring to many of the potlucks I had when I was in school. Most people didn't know how to make it and it would always be a hit at dinner. My plate was always empty when I went home lol. Do you bake your portuguese chicken with some cheese on top at the end to crisp up the top?

Hmmm, I think I'd rather go with bland veges than douse it with so much oil & salt. lol.

Lol, Lee Kum Kee IS the best! Makes cooking so much easier.

Let you in on an easy secret (or maybe you already know?). Buy a pound or two of pork ribs, smother that sucker with Lee Kum Kee Cha Siew sauce and let it marinate in the lower part of the fridge for 24hours. Then just stick it in the oven at 375F in the oven for about an hour (for 1 lb) and you have the yummiest BBQ pork spare ribs without the muss or fuss, and it tastes heavenly. Trust me, I they don't call me ribsandbbqbeef for nothing lol....

Hmmm, cookies & cakes, another favorite (I don't think there's any food that isn't a fav with me lol). What's your favorite type of cookie and cake? I love classic chewy soft choco chip that's still warm from the oven and terra miso (sorry don't know how to spell it and too lazy to look it up) without the rum.

19. brown_bear

^ i like many many cakeys and cookies...just as long it aint coffee flavoured hence i dun like tiramissu.....or any rum deserts....hehe....its good you dontnot like any foods...shows you not a picky eater where as i am >.<

20. ckthepilot

ckthepilot Well-Known Member

i can bake cake... does that count? :p