Talking to mirrors; new TVB plot device?

Discussion in 'Ghost Writer - 蒲松齡' started by ralphrepo, Jul 8, 2010.

1. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

Now that the good cop seems to have gone over the deep end, I noticed that since the TVB show with the woman that became the super hero (Janet Bean), talking to one's evil alter ego within a mirror or reflection seems to have become a regular script device.

That's the thing about TVB; once they hit upon something that they think will be a good story device, they want to work it into the script of just about every show that they're currently filming. I remember some time back, brain aneurysms were the big script thing, and just about every one of their shows had some central character being threatened with a sudden stroke. Then before that, sudden cardiac death from Brugada Syndrome had TVB's stalwart stars grimly gripping their chests.

So today, the script writers have pulled Dissociative Identity Disorder (split personality) out of their medical textbooks as the malady du jour. In that vein, maybe that's the reason why Linda Chung's screen performance to date may be considered a bit catatonic? Time to hit the Die Foo for some psychotropic herbals, eh?

LOL... -bowroflarms

2. silentjess

silentjess Well-Known Member

i think its been used before, just the coincidence now.
    like, The Eye also use mirror to scare pple..hahaha

3. kevin

kevin RAWR!

I don't get how 'ma gut' suddenly turned evil, and started to talk to the mirror. It was also strange how his mostache bloomed when he got promoted, at times I think it's one of those 'dream' scenes. >.<

4. negiqboyz

negiqboyz Well-Known Member

I don't get it too .. lol

5. MrCooperS

MrCooperS Well-Known Member

Multipersonality disorder?

6. colbne

colbne Well-Known Member

Me too. A good Ma Gut in the mirror and the evil one out of it to create havoc. Hope TVB will stop this mirror nonsense ending with this series.

7. kevin

kevin RAWR!

I find the special effects at the end pretty awesome when the good 'ma gut' (go jik) came out of the mirror. -clapclap

8. dom88_rx7

dom88_rx7 Well-Known Member

tis seems to b an alternative way to bring out the evil side of Sunny Chan just like in Just Love II and The Winter Melon Tale. Sunny Chan doesn't suit to act as a villian...

9. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

The whole idea of being split into good and evil counterparts was done years ago with the Star Trek (Original Series) 1966 season 1 episode 5, "The Enemy Within" story.

Well, with a moniker like that, who would believe he was evil? Gay, perhaps, but not evil. I suspect that he made a fatal mistake when he took on an Anglo name, phonetically misspelling Sunny when he meant Sonny. For example; Sonny Liston, boxer, macho, etc; no doubt, all man. On the other hand, Sunny Chan? Ha ha... Queer bait! LOL...