The Walking Dead Season 2

Discussion in 'Hollywood Entertainment' started by sonicbreeze, Sep 5, 2011.

1. kevin

kevin RAWR!

Wait what! So no Walking Dead next Sunday? =(

2. the last 2 episodes were good

3. person

person Well-Known Member

The thought of Sophia being in the barn occurred to me once, but I thought what are the chances. Or that Hershel would've mentioned it, since he knew they were looking for a little girl. But then again, he didn't want them to know the barn was full of walkers in the first place.
    It wasn't until Shane broke the chains and started shooting them I thought, 'Yeah, I bet you Sophia is in there too.'

Why was he even keeping walkers in the barn? He thought he could 'cure' them? Or just thought they were still people and didn't have the heart to kill them.

By far the best episode this season. I was actually getting rather restless with the show.

Yep, no more episodes until February.

4. kevin

kevin RAWR!

hmm okay that shouldn't be too long. Time seem to be flying for me these days/weeks/months

5. ^ Lol speak for yourself! February is a decade away!

6. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

...that in the comic series, IIRC, Sophia is later adopted by Glenn and Maggie after the death of her mother. So I guess the AMC series is not really sticking to the original storyline at all.

Here's a link to one of the blogs that compares the comic to the show:

http://goodcomics.comicbookresource...ding-to-last-nights-walking-dead-fall-finale/

Seriously agree. The on again, off again method of broadcasting this show is almost a sure fire way of alienating audiences; ie. No matter how good the girl, if she keeps giving me mixed signals, I'm gonna dump her.

#66 ralphrepo, Nov 29, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  7. Adopted? By Glenn and Maggie?! There's a 10 year age difference, if not less lmao. Then again, it is the end of the world.

8. ralphrepo

True that, I guess in an apocalyptic setting, people will do what they need to do to get by, regardless of convention. One note though, on the theatrics of the final scene of S2E7...

...at the moment that Rick pulls the trigger and Sophie drops to the ground, her mother is heard sobbing and whimpering in the background. IMHO, that was rather a weak moment and a lost creative opportunity. What would have carried the angst and pain of the scene more would have been to have the mother, after the shot, render a soul searing scream as she lunges forward, that then fades into wracking sobs as she falls helplessly to the ground.

Further, someone else mentioned that the impact should have thrown her head back. To put it mildly, Rick seems to be holding a .357 Magnum; at that distance it would have literally taken her head off AND thrown her back about ten feet.

#68 ralphrepo, Nov 30, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  9. Then again, she did come to accept the loss of her child before the revelation that she's in the barn... Could that justify her weak cries?

And you're right, a magnum shot with her flying back in the air would make for a CRAZY screenshot... Imagine Rick standing execution style, with Sophie flying back in the air, both legs off the ground... That would have been insane!

10. ralphrepo

That may be so, as

...missing so long that her mother was likely being realistic (even if she didn't actually verbalize it) in her assessment of the overall chances of survival so long away from the group. Also, there was a blooper too, at that moment of the shot. Clue; listen very carefully to the audio to see if you can pick it out.

At any rate, I thought as aggressive as Shane was, he was absolutely right; civilized behavior usually fails miserably when it comes to survival. Safety requires draconian measure, and simply respecting Hershel's property rights as if civilization is still intact would have been to their overall detriment. The world had already become a very nasty place. It's time for them to start acting accordingly. In the comic, they will eventually meet up with slavers, cannibals, et cetera. You know, the creme de la creme of humanity, LOL...

11. I wholeheartedly agree with Shane. In the end, like you said, it's a matter of survival. I guess what brought him to snap the way it did was the accumulation of multiple factors, the losing the wife back to Rick, the conscience of leaving Otis to die (Though it's for survival, I'm not sure if I would have done the same. I would probably die trying then let someone else die). Though he portrays the intention of protecting the group, I honestly think he's self-centered, and cares only for himself. It just so happens that in caring for himself, the group benefits (specifically the barn event).

Anyways, I need to pick up the comics and read them. The comics sound good.

12. person

person Well-Known Member

Very good points made guys.

I was definitely expecting more impact from the shot. Especially being a child and all. It probably would've been too grotesque, especially for a child?

Dan, birthday present to self maybe? lol.

13. ralphrepo

At any rate, the blooper was...

...shot that Rick takes and Sophia falls, if one listens carefully, one can hear the sound of a shell casing hitting the ground. Only problem here is, Rick is using a revolver, which does not eject shell casings; you'll need an automatic for that. Just goes to show that the audio guys likely used a stock "pistol" soundtrack. As for the comic series, one can still download the entire comic (up to issue 90) from here: LINK

14. kevin

kevin RAWR!

Ralph is very analytical lol.

15. Oh wow ralph, just starting to read the comics and it's way different already o_O

16. ralphrepo

LOL... Enjoy ;)

BTW, after he leaves the hospital, you know the dead "walker" that Rick first encounters laying in the grass on the side of the road? She's the one that is only an upper body half of a woman, but still moving nonetheless? If you go to Hulu.com and check out their Walking Dead mini Webisodes (total of six, each about 2 minutes long), you'll get a poignant little background tale on who that woman was before she became partially eaten and then undead. Just make sure you see the webisodes in correct order (after getting to the TWD page, scroll down to the bottom to select each ep).

#76 ralphrepo, Dec 1, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  17. Wow. The comic version is drastically different, and so effed up on so many levels. W. T. F.

18. ralphrepo

Yeah, no shit. It really gives one the feeling of true apocalyptic vision. I wonder how the AMC version is going to stay true to that vision though. Some of the things that are broached in the comic may be too risque for American television audiences, if you know what I mean.

19. Was talking about the level of violence in the AMC version with a few colleagues at work today, they said it's way too tame compared to the comics, and it's true. Then again, this is shown on prime time, when kids are wide awake, so I guess they don't want it to be too gory.

20. ralphrepo

The problem is not the kids, but the censors, and what the rating system would do to episodes that have too much gore. You can watch certain kinds of things that are gore filled on some cable stations that cater to a narrow stream of audiences, but if you want to stay prime time, you're going to have to keep it clean, so to speak. Else, the station that is showing it would be so inundated with negative commentary that they would pull the show or risk losing corporate commercial support.

Be that as it may,

...I think what they need to do is take the Star Trek (Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager) or Star Gate (SG1, SG Atlantis) formula, and expand the franchise into a walker universe. In that way, they can run a brand new parallel story or two at the same time. Imagine if one showed a series of episodes that, say, details what happens to the barricaded nursing home population that was encountered in the first season? Or, how about the racist Merle, as he cunningly goes it alone against the walkers. Or, how about the family that broke off (in an effort to establish contact with relatives in Birmingham), from the main group. Or even a previously unknown party that finds their old camp and the sign that he had left for Morgan? In other words, sort of like those mini webisodes done by Hulu, but full length episodes (not just the 2 minute clips), a collection of short stories or mini series airing at a different time, that dovetails and provides supplemental insight to the already known story as traveled by Rick Grimes. There is a lot of audience desire to see this sort of zombie apocalypse fare, and this short spurt every feel months is failing to fully tap into a huge viewership potential.

IMHO, of course.