The Walking Dead Season 3

Discussion in 'Hollywood Entertainment' started by shinobi, Oct 14, 2012.

1. kevin

kevin RAWR!

Same here ha

2. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

All I have to say is, that without regular rhythmic female hormonal biologic function, there's gonna be some very ugly women after a zombie apocalypse; them Hustler magazines are going to be collector items, LOL...

3. person

person Well-Known Member

lol, seems the only one that wasn't stressed was Lori. Probably from all the sex she got from Shane and Rick. But then what about Maggie...

4. turbobenx

turbobenx .........

a much better episode today... better than the last 2 eps....

5. ralphrepo

Agreed, great episode. But wouldn't you know it?

...They kill off Merle. That said, it was a good way for him to go out; it redeemed his character. But I didn't like how they tried to "excuse" his edgy behavior by introducing a previously unknown drug addiction history. Also, when Daryl was wrestling with Merle, wouldn't the other walkers heard the noise and had come over? Daryl wouldn't have had the luxury of time to lay there and sob; ie. they would have been all over him. Also, what's up now, with the stomping of a zombie's head and having it crush like a soft sponge? What? Was the skull soaking in vinegar for the last year, so that all the bone material had dissolved? That was really oh, so fake, IMHO. But, LOL at Merle hot wiring that car and having the alarm go off. I'm surprised that the battery was so good after being parked there for more than a year.

Can't wait for the big show down in the next (last) episode of season 3

6. [N]

[N] RATED [ ]

after this we play the game of thrones :trollface2:

but wats this week of huge char goin out first on spartacus now walking dead. sigh all must end.

7. Dav

Dav Well-Known Member

i enjoyed the episode

they really rushed merle's ending. a good way for him to go out indeed and i'm actually going to miss michael rooker a bunch. can someone explain why he needed to bring michonne along only to release her? was this his intention all along? also, next week's season finale is titled, "Welcome to the Tombs." i saw a preview for next week and i want to think that the group has decided to move on from the prison, but not before leaving behind traps for the governor and his gang when they retaliate (hence the "tomb"). this would be a cruddy way for the governor to go though...and i refuse to believe that rick and co. will just be able to move on without any sort of imminent danger or confrontation with the woodfury folk.

8. person

person Well-Known Member

Well it is tv... no logic. The zombie apocalypse happened in 2010, and they drive a new 2013 Hyundai. Grass is mowed, Glenn is constantly bare faced, like some Kdrama actor. No logic lol.
    But if you want to try to justify the skull stomping, it HAS been a year. Who knows how long that zombie has been decaying for. Safe to say that it's been a while, so stomping on its head wouldn't be that hard? At the same time, Michonne is one bad ass bitch. She trains and such.

I enjoyed this episode too. It was sad that Daryl had to get rid of Merle. True, other zombies would have heard the fight or his sobs. But they had to make the scene more dramatic.

I think Merle intended to bring Michonne... but after a while realized he had to deal with the Governor himself? That's how I saw it.

Also, we saw the kid that was with Terrece's group die. Don't think his father died though?

I'm quite excited for next weeks finale also. Should be a good one. The preview showed Andrea getting beat up by the Governor. If Rick and the group leave, then what will happen to her? Or Whitberry for that matter.

9. cailini

cailini Well-Known Member

@Ralph
    This isn't the first time TWD has mentioned Merle's drug problem. Merle had made reference to it a few times way in the beginning and do you remember when T-dog got injured and Deryl conveniently gave him ampicillin from Merle's drug stash? Shane also mentioned that Merle was a drug dealer before the apocalypse. Additionally, Merle was hard core hallucinating on the roof after the team left him in Atlanta (drug withdrawal symptoms and probably some heatstroke).

10. person

person Well-Known Member

You have really good memory. I don't even remember those parts from the past seasons.

11. ralphrepo

Thank you for the correction...

Your memory is certainly better than mine, LOL... Ampicillin wouldn't necessary qualify as being an illicit drug, but I get the drift. On another note, I would think that most drug addicts would be rather sober after more than a year. I mean, even raiding all the pharmacies, there's only so much oxycontin and morphine in existence. I assume the heroin trade isn't going to survive the zombie apocalypse any better than the rest of humanity.

As for how long bones can last in the ground, meet Lucy, otherwise known as the one of our evolutionary predecessors. But in this case, a walker's bones aren't even buried under the ground, that is, the bones are still up and about, er... walking (LOL...) So IMHO, there would be no decay or difference at all; a zombie skull should be as structurally hard as they would be in a normal person. Hence, I think it extreme artistic license in this case. As for the other issues,

Hyundai is still making deliveries and someone's mowing the grass, LOL... Maybe Glen is also getting facial wax jobs from Maggie?

I agree that Merle likely had a change in heart after Michione spoke with him in the car. I think he desperately wanted to rejoin and be fully accepted into Rick's group, but knew that he had to do something in order to show them his sincerity; ie. his willingness to do the 'dirty work' of betraying Michione and delivering her to the Governor, even as he suspected that she would most likely be kept alive and tortured for the amusement of the Governor's sadistic pleasure. But after listening to her, we (and ultimately, Merle) realize that he hadn't killed anyone until he was working under the spell of the Governor. Thus, it was the Governor that cost him his humanity. It was an epiphanous moment for him and he finally saw that what he needed to do was kill the Governor, which would dually serve the purpose of solving both Rick's problem and his. He needed to cut Michione loose because didn't want to repeat what he had done with Glen and Maggie; it was what caused him to be looked at narrowly and prevented his full acceptance in the first place (remember the scene with Carol, who asked him repeatedly as to which side he was on?). Hence, killing the Governor instead of Michione would also eliminate the cost of perpetual suspicion within Rick's group. Ultimately, even he knew it was a redemption of his fallen character. Remember that this was a guy who can quote bible verse, so somewhere in his troubled life, he did somehow gain a Christian moral code. It was his inherent knowledge of right and wrong that drove him to make the tough choice and do what was right. In this case, Michione was dead right when she told him that it was only people without morals that could do something like that without even thinking, talking about it or losing sleep. Merle on the other hand, was making excuses as to why he needed to do so; that is, she immediately saw that he was troubled by it. Basically by highlighting this, she imparted her knowledge that she really didn't think that Merle was a bad person, but just one under the manipulation of others. In other words, she didn't blame him, but rather, forgave him. It was this deep understanding, compassion and forgiveness of Merle's underlying flawed character, that brought about Merle's emotional salvation and ultimately saved her own life, even as it cost him his.

This was amazingly powerful considering that Merle's was only a peripheral role. The depth of exploration into his character was something that I hadn't expected from a television series. Usually we get the cardboard cutout thugs of the sort played in the story capacity of say, ...Martinez. Kudos to the writers for their intensely studied portrayal of Merle as a tragic hero on a par with the Greek classics. Really very well done, indeed. One realizes now, that the previous 'boring' episodes laid the groundwork for this spectacular ending. This side of the story was so powerful that it totally overshadowed Rick's dramatic philosophical turnaround (ie. that he couldn't sacrifice Michione, and Rick coming to the realization that they needed to move forward as a group and not rely solely on his leadership). In this regard, the real ending of season 3 may prove to be anti-climatic after this, LOL...

#191 ralphrepo, Mar 25, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  12. sango

sango Well-Known Member

Good episode

It's true that a lot of things in twd make no sense at all.
    Daryl looks cool with a crossbow, yes we get it but he should have taken an assault rifle or something like that.
    If he had bumped into the governor and his group, he wouldn't have lasted long with just his crossbow.

13. cailini

Hmm, but stealth with a crossbow isn't something you can really get with an assault rifle.

14. ralphrepo

Agree with Sango that a crossbow, no matter the cool factor, wouldn't fare well against when pitted against modern fire arms.

But like Cailini noted, ideally, the crossbow will allow stealth in killing walkers without attracting other walkers. Humans are another story altogether. Whilst crossbow bolts would be effective in dealing with human heads too, there is a limit to the range and, usually after the first shot, other enemies are alerted to your presence anyways, so stealth isn't any longer an issue. IMHO, Daryl should always pack a pistol and several clips with him as a reserve weapon. This would offer higher capacity and more range and stopping power should he need it in a pinch.

Speaking of which, I noticed that in terms of clothing, there doesn't seem to be much emphasis on protective clothing anymore. In their initial take over of the prison, several prison corrections officers who were zombied, and later taken out by Rick et al, were uniformed with riot gear. This is exactly the type of 'bite proof' attire that they should alway have on. Then, even if one were surprised by a zombie, the walker would bite on the armor, giving the wearer time to get out a weapon and save him or herself.

Oh, and I loved the fact that Glen goes shopping and brings back a slightly used item, LOL...

#194 ralphrepo, Mar 25, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  15. sango

sango Well-Known Member

Maybe they think that protective clothing isn't very stylish and if nobody gets bitten where's the fun in that ?

#195 sango, Mar 26, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  16. cailini

Riot gear would also be big, heavy, clunky, and annoying against other humans...

17. kevin

kevin RAWR!

Yeah I thought he was looking for a young girl to be the person bringing the ring or something, turns out he clipped the finger off lol

18. ralphrepo

Actually, riot gear isn't that heavy at all, just a lot of hard plastic backed with lots of foam padding. At any rate, it's bite proof. Further, if one combines those armor pads on top of a kevlar motorcycle suit and helmet, with kevlar gloves, for all intents, you would literally be zombie proof unless they gang up on you, drag you down and succeed in ripping off all your clothing. But in such a case, actually having a bunch of zombies zerg rush you may be to your advantage. The zombies immediately around you will provide a shield preventing other zombies from even getting close. This then gives you time to knife each zombie in the head as they ineffectively try to bite you.

Having said that, one of the things that I don't understand about weapons with these survivors is, they haven't seemed to have discovered the utility of spears yet. Given the quiet effectiveness, yet safer distance of the spear, it would seem a no brainer (no pun intended) that one could easily, quietly and quickly thrust one into a zombie face. In fact, they should all be carrying their rifles with bayonets mounted and used for this purpose.

#198 ralphrepo, Mar 26, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  19. kevin

kevin RAWR!

That samurai sword is good, limited to Michionne, but Merle actually pulled it off nicely ha. That is a good idea, it's like back in world war 1 or 2? Me not good with history lol

20. ralphrepo

Historically, during World War Two, because of their limited industrial resources, the Republic of China's armies couldn't field firearms in sufficient enough numbers to supply all their troops. However, what was a cheap and well known alternative, was the large Chinese broadsword (simply known to Chinese as the "Big Knife" 大刀) variations of which that were widely available. This weapon was not only economical, but proved to be highly effective in close quarters combat, better even than the mounted bayonet. The Japanese use of a Katana, (ie. a Samurai Sword) was also widely seen in WW2, and was standard issue to officers, officer candidates, and non commissioned officers. The only difference between them was that the NCO swords were of lower quality (machined as opposed to hand made, with decorative accoutrement painted on instead of being actual hand worked pieces). The Katana was considered an integral part of the Japanese officer's identity, and as such, a symbol of his authority; it was routinely carried into even the small working confines of tanks and aircraft. British Nepalese troops were also given a standard issue Kukri (var Khukuri), a traditional curved heavy blade that is still used to this day, by the famed Gurkha soldiers. All of the above actually used these weapons with effectiveness during combat. Most European and American military by WW2, had abandoned the blade as a mainstay weapon, relegating it instead, to use only as ceremonial or decorative functions.

[​IMG]
    Chinese soldiers during World War 2 with broad swords

[​IMG]
    Japanese officer with Katana during World War 2; American occupation troops displaying surrendered Japanese arms, including large stocks of Katana swords

Sources:
    http://internalmartialart.wordpress.com/2009/07/22/wwii-da-dao/
    http://www.ww2incolor.com/us-marines/life_83.html
    http://www.quanonline.com/military/military_reference/japanese/sword7.html

BTW, genuine Showa War (what the Japanese called WW2) period articles are considered collector's items and can be valuable. There is also a vast quantity of post war replicas (fakes, from China, LOL...) that have flooded the collectibles market; buyer beware.

But insofar as the Walking Dead milieu is concerned, IMHO, the best bladed weapon in this case would be the Kukri, as it's small enough to handle with ease, yet heavy enough to take a zombie's head off if needed. If one is stuck trying to clear the close confines of a building, then having a shorter blade would be to one's tactical advantage. See below (starting at 03.58):

[video=youtube;ggxLbmJ27wQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggxLbmJ27wQ[/video]

And what I had discussed earlier about the utility of using a spear:

[video=youtube;cuXIVxqO1MM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuXIVxqO1MM[/video]

#200 ralphrepo, Mar 27, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2013